Is it enough, or too much?

Options
Hi everyone. Ever since i increased my exercise, my weightloss has become much more slower. When i first started, I went to the gym 30min. and did about another 15 minutes of exercise. I increased my exercise about 3 weeks ago, maybe a month, and jumped down to 1-2 pounds of weightloss a week, when usually it was 2-4. I workout at the gym for 30 minutes, and walk (jog 2minute intervals) for 30-45 minutes. I stay between a 1200cal. diet.

October 6th - 217
February 14th- 180

This is very stressful. Maybe I am putting my weightloss to a hault because I am so stressed? What are your opinions? Ty :)

Replies

• amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    You're probably not eating enough, do you eat your exercise calories? If you weren't before, and then upped your exercise and still aren't eating them, then I would definitely say that is the culprit.
  • holly0623
    Options
    So i just peeked at your diary, maybe you could try more frequent meals throught the day? It would increase your metabolism! (:
  • Awineburg
    Options
    Either your not eating enough, or you need to switch up your exercising.
  • xJustynax
    xJustynax Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I agree with "amy". You are most definitely not eating enough. You are exercising more and burning more calories but your caloric intake has not changed. Your body is holding on to the calories that it burns during exercise but not getting back after. Try upping you intake a little bit and you should be back on track.
  • kludwig04
    kludwig04 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I just peaked at your diary. You are not eating enough calories. Your body may be in starvation mode. Try eating approx 6 small meals a day avg approx 200-250 calories and maybe a little more on days you work out. I started off doing the same thing you are and was not losing weight. As soon as I changed my eating habits I have been dropping 2-3 lbs a week easy. Good luck!!
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    I would agree you probably aren't eating enough. Also, keep in mind that the closer you get to your goal weight, the slower the loss will be. The less fat you have to lose, the harder the body will work to hold on to it. With only 30-40 lbs to go, you cannot expect to lose that quickly, it just won't happen in a healthy way. If you did continue to lose at 2-4 lbs per week, you would be losing large amounts of muscle and small amounts of fat.

1 lb per week loss at this stage is very reasonable - and HEALTHY. Patience - be the tortoise, not the hare! :wink:
  • pkd1
    pkd1 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I had to up my calorie intake, i was on 1200 calories and changed it to 1350 and i work out 6 days a week > i hadnt lost any weight for a month then when i increased my calories i lost 1.4 lbs that week so thats what i did, hope that helps
  • claire_b79
    claire_b79 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    You are definitely not eating enough.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Ok I just looked at your diary. If what you have logged is indeed all that you are eating, you are definitely not eating enough. Most days you only have 600-800 calories logged, and then if you're working out on top of that I'd guess your burning around 300-500 calories per work out so you're only netting about 100-400 calories a day. If so, you're literally starving yourself. You should be eating a MINIMUM of 1200 calories PLUS eat back whatever you burn off. Unless you had a huge breakfast or are feeling sick or something, one piece of fruit is never enough for lunch no matter how you look at it.
  • juliana1977
    juliana1977 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I really hope you eat more than whatever you state on your diary or you good hurt your body.
    Please read this post and you will understand a lot of what is going on.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/173853-an-objective-look-at-eating-exercise-calories
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough and you have been exercising only a little while. Bump your calories 200-300 a day for the week and the scale will move down. Your body is holding on to everything because it thinks you're starving. :flowerforyou:

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing?hl=700+calorie
  • mandiex0
    mandiex0 Posts: 174
    Options
    Hi everyone. So pretty much sounds like im not eating enough, but im not sure when or what else to eat. i wake up 530 every morning, have BREAKFAST at 630. bowl of cereal, 2% milk. go to school, have LUNCH at fricken 10AM!! and i have a yogurt, and an apple. and then when i come home at 3, i go to the curves gym for 30minutes, come home, and walk/(jog 2min intervals) 3 miles. after that, shower, homework, you know. im a highschool student, alotttttt of work. eat dinner around 6/630 which usually is a weightwatchers with a salad. if someone has the time to work with me and help me out, id really appreciate it. im not sure when, or what else to eat. please keep and touch, and keep helping me out. i appreciate it 100%. my goal is to be 150 by june/july. reachable? lemme know.

ty for all your input so far.
  • juliana1977
    juliana1977 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. So pretty much sounds like im not eating enough, but im not sure when or what else to eat. i wake up 530 every morning, have BREAKFAST at 630. bowl of cereal, 2% milk. go to school, have LUNCH at fricken 10AM!! and i have a yogurt, and an apple. and then when i come home at 3, i go to the curves gym for 30minutes, come home, and walk/(jog 2min intervals) 3 miles. after that, shower, homework, you know. im a highschool student, alotttttt of work. eat dinner around 6/630 which usually is a weightwatchers with a salad. if someone has the time to work with me and help me out, id really appreciate it. im not sure when, or what else to eat. please keep and touch, and keep helping me out. i appreciate it 100%. my goal is to be 150 by june/july. reachable? lemme know.

ty for all your input so far.

Ok so we have 19 weeks till end of June. You are young and already lost a lot of weight, so far you are doing something right. But I really don't thing, even for you that is 19years old, it is healthy to lose more than 2.5lbs a week. Lets say you keep an average of 1.5lb a week. You probably thinking you can lose more, but keep in mind that you wnat to lose and keep it off forever. It is best to lose less and do it for a long period of time than lose lean mass and look "skinny fat".
    So 19 x 1.5 = 28.5 lbs by end of June!! What is amazing, isn't it?!
    I am not a expert, I only have been reading a lot and talking to a lot of personal trainers and people who lost a lot of weight.
    I trullt thing you need eat something else for lunch other than an apple and yogurt. You need some protein. Can you make a sandwich at home with some wholegrain wrap, or english muffin, or sandwich things with some low fat ham/turkey deli and maybe a laughing cow wedge and some green and tomato? You can eat something similar to that at lunch plus an apple. Save the yogurt for a snack aroung 12:30/1pm. Then when you get home you have something else for snack, maybe a low fat cheese stick with a slice of ham (oscar meyer smoked ham 96% fat free is my favorite, only 20 caloris per slice). Then do your exercise. Try to eat some protein after your exercise, up to 45min after you are done exercising, a protein bar like the one from special k or a protein shake.
    So far you ate: breakfast around 250/300 calories (it depends how much cereal you are eating I thinking 1 cup of cereal about 150 plus a up of milk 120), lunch at 10 maybe around another 250/300, snack afternoon at school around 80 plus before working out 80, after working out between 170 to 240. So far you ate no more than 1000. You still have at least 200 calories to eat plus some from your exercise. I would say eat around 300 calories at dinner, it is probably what you eat already. Total a day of 1300.
    Another thing that may help you besides eating more and healthier and also more variety is to do more weight tranning. More muscles more calories your body will burn.
    You have done a fantastic job so far, just try to adjust your diet (I like to call it a life style change) to your busy life. Because hopefully, the changes you are doing now will stay forever!