Row machine

Options
I need some advice on using a row machine. I love using them, they are a GREAT workout, but after just a few minutes on one, my hands start to hurt from the twisting and and friction from the handle. I used to use a row machine all the time and my hands never got used to it. I would get calluses from it once in a while but it wouldn't really help, it still hurt my hands to row for too long. I would just grit my teeth and bear it.
For others that use row machines- would you suggest gloves? Maybe fingerless grip gloves or something? Is there a special kind that they make for rowers?
Any advice would be great! Thanks!

Replies

• Shawnalee0703
    Options
    Your hands should not be moving on the grip.... You should pull straight back and your grip should stay in place.
  • chach918
    chach918 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I do not use a row machine , but have found gloves to help me alot with weight lifting. No more calluses and better grip.
    Keep up the exercising and good luck with weight loss.
  • Endershadow
    Endershadow Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Yea, you may get calluses, but your hands shouldn't be moving. Grip and pull. use gloves if you want though :D
  • lucky48
    lucky48 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I use gloves on both the machine and when I'm actually in a boat or my kayak. I found I have the problem of holding the grips too tight and without the gloves, I end up with blisters and calluses on my palms that really hurt.

My gloves are fingerless and I love them!
  • jesseBYAH
    jesseBYAH Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Your hands should not be moving on the grip.... You should pull straight back and your grip should stay in place.

I should have phrased this better.. my hands aren't really moving on the grip, just the top pads on my palm, the pads right at the base of my fingers, get smushed when I pull back. My palms stay in the same place on the handle, its just that as I lean back, my palm pads seem to get a little pinched. Does that make sense? Maybe I just have fat hands, LOL
    I might go the glove route. My hands will probably get used to it but I'd rather not get calluses... I like my hands nice and smooth :)

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
  • merB89
    merB89 Posts: 122
    Options
    I was a rower for 5 years in a climate where the lakes are frozen half the time so I spent plenty (read: too much) of time on the erg (short for ergometer, or row machine). I never, ever wore gloves, nor did anyone I know. If you're using proper technique your hands shouldn't be rubbing or irritated while you're erging. Try having a looser grip on the handle and kind of "hanging" on it with just your fingers curled around the handle when you push off at the catch (the point where your knees are bent and your pushing off with your legs) continue to hang with your looser grip all the way until you bend your arms and bring the handle into your rib cage. The hanging should be felt all the way into your shoulders. I am no expert or rowing coach, but that is something that really helped me during my rowing years

There is a limitless amount of discussion about erging technique and different things work for different people, but there is a right way and a wrong way and from my rowing experience the wrong way is harmful and can cause injury. I see too many people at the gym erging in ways that they could easily injure themselves. So please be careful! Try looking up online more tips and guide lines for your erging technique. I'm sure there are even youtube videos. Sorry this turned into somewhat of a rant. I'm glad you like the erg and use it for your exercise routine! It's a great way to get an effective, low impact workout in. Good luck!!
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    I was a rower for 5 years in a climate where the lakes are frozen half the time so I spent plenty (read: too much) of time on the erg (short for ergometer, or row machine). I never, ever wore gloves, nor did anyone I know. If you're using proper technique your hands shouldn't be rubbing or irritated while you're erging. Try having a looser grip on the handle and kind of "hanging" on it with just your fingers curled around the handle when you push off at the catch (the point where your knees are bent and your pushing off with your legs) continue to hang with your looser grip all the way until you bend your arms and bring the handle into your rib cage. The hanging should be felt all the way into your shoulders. I am no expert or rowing coach, but that is something that really helped me during my rowing years

There is a limitless amount of discussion about erging technique and different things work for different people, but there is a right way and a wrong way and from my rowing experience the wrong way is harmful and can cause injury. I see too many people at the gym erging in ways that they could easily injure themselves. So please be careful! Try looking up online more tips and guide lines for your erging technique. I'm sure there are even youtube videos. Sorry this turned into somewhat of a rant. I'm glad you like the erg and use it for your exercise routine! It's a great way to get an effective, low impact workout in. Good luck!!
    Excellent advice!
  • jesseBYAH
    jesseBYAH Posts: 446 Member
    Options

Thank you for the advice! I will look up some tips. I appreciate it :)