High Protein "Ice Cream"

Options
cattiemac
cattiemac Posts: 251 Member
Last night I was craving ice cream so I decided to try blending 1 scoop of protein power with 1/4 cup cottage cheese and 1/4 cup of greek yogurt. I blended it in the food processor until it was the consistency of soft ice cream and then put it in the freezer for 20 minutes. It tasted just like vanilla ice cream!! Next time I'm going to experiment with different flavors - PB, fruit, etc.

Using 1% cottage cheese, Liberty plain greek yogurt and Body Fortress - 100% Premium Whey Protein Vanilla the nutritional stats are:

Cals - 175
Carbs - 8
Fat - 3
Protein - 30
Fiber - 0
Sugar - 6

Replies

• bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    ahhhhh !!! yummy! save save save! my hubby will love it
  • corey_e
    corey_e Posts: 162
    Options
    I'm SO gonna try this! Thanks for sharing! :bigsmile:
  • vayax
    vayax Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I make ice creams with frozen fruits and natural yogurt.... I never thought about adding protein....I'll do that next time!
  • EmilyJ1979
    EmilyJ1979 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    sounds delicious, thaks for the tip!
  • cjrss03
    Options
    bump...yum!
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Brilliant!! Thanks for the suggestion :D
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I do this a lot with greek yogurt and pumpkin...blend together and freeze, tastes amazing!
  • JTThomas
    JTThomas Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Great idea! I can't wait to try this!
  • groveboy
    Options
    So you get a half cup of ice cream. Look on packages of ice cream. You can eat regular ice cream for that many calories. Lower calorie ice cream is somewhere around 110 calories. It's all about the most amount of food for the least calories and more exercise.
  • frenchfri87
    frenchfri87 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    omg this sounds so good Im going to try it nowish lol.. thanks!!
    So you get a half cup of ice cream. Look on packages of ice cream. You can eat regular ice cream for that many calories. Lower calorie ice cream is somewhere around 110 calories. It's all about the most amount of food for the least calories and more exercise.

umm yeah but show me a regular ice cream with 30g of protein haha.. :flowerforyou:
  • meagalayne
    Options

umm yeah but show me a regular ice cream with 30g of protein haha.. :flowerforyou:
    Uhmm Since when is it "all about" the least calories? Quality calories vs. diet calories. I could spend my whole day drinking Crystal Light and having FF/SF Jello pudding, too... But I don't! Thanks again for the recipe idea, OP!
  • loushep
    loushep Posts: 191
    Options
    YUM, gotta try this :smile:
  • cattiemac
    cattiemac Posts: 251 Member
    Options

Uhmm Since when is it "all about" the least calories? Quality calories vs. diet calories. I could spend my whole day drinking Crystal Light and having FF/SF Jello pudding, too... But I don't! Thanks again for the recipe idea, OP!

Thanks for this reply!! It's exactly what I was going to say!! For me, it's not just the calories that count - I look at the nutrients and how "unprocessed" something is. Yes, you can have a bowl of ice cream for 110 calories but it's filled with chemicals and a million ingredients that you can't pronounce!! Plus, you're hungry shortly after eating it. With my version you are getting loads of protein and other "good for you" ingredients!!
  • jammyone
    Options

What a silly thing to say. Most ice cream that is packaged is 70% sugar. Eating this ice cream won't make you fat, eating even eating 110 calories worth of the ice cream you're talking about WILL put on fat. That's the difference.

Thanks cattiemac, I will try this!
  • frenchfri87
    frenchfri87 Posts: 196 Member
    Options

haha dont lie, crystal light and jello pudding is totally whats fueling all those distance runs you've been doing. :flowerforyou:
  • linemansgirl
    Options
    Yum! This would be a great alternative to my smoothies! Thanks for the idea! :happy:
  • meagalayne
    Options

haha dont lie, crystal light and jello pudding is totally whats fueling all those distance runs you've been doing. :flowerforyou:
    Damn - Caught! You've got me pegged, Frenchfri! :laugh:
  • frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Definitely going to try this. Also great idea with the greek yogurt and pumpkin. Now just have to find room in the freezer.
  • granbarrant
    granbarrant Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Bump...sounds yummy !!!
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Tried a variation on this today and it wasn't for me... Had a very strange after-taste :ohwell: Too bad because I love the idea! I guess I just love the IDEA of ice cream wayyy too much :D