Breathing

Options
When working out, how important is it to breathe at the right times? Do they trainers have you breathe at certain spots in order to make sure you remember to breathe? Or is it actually important that you breathe at certain times (like breathing out at the top of a sit up and in when on the way down)?

Replies

• kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I've wondered this, too. The crunches...not a problem. Everything else, I seem to be breathing in when they say out. I just figure I'm backwards, but as long as I'm breathing, I'm alive. lol
  • gargust
    Options
    It is a generally accepted rule that you exhale on exertion and breathe in as you return the weight to the bottom of the repetition. It is important as it helps prevent dizziness, nausea, hernia and (in a severe case) stroke. Some serious weightlifters try to hold their breath (Valsalva technique) to try to build up thoracic pressure and get a little more strength. I wouldn't recommend it!
  • CelesteENelson
    CelesteENelson Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My trainer told me to breathe in when I am pulling my weights up or towards me and out when I am going down or letting them go back to the machine. She said it is to tighten (use) your core muscles (something like that lol) keeps you centered lol Hope that helps. Its been a few months. I just do it lol its silly but i do what im told.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Breath in when "releasing" and breath out when "pushing" I hope that I explained that right, tryin to think inside my head and say it in a way that is easy to understand...