Problems Sleeping

Options
Anyone have suggestions to help me fall asleep faster? I'm an overwhelmed college senior; I lay down at night and my mind thinks about anything and everything...for...hours. I process the day, recall conversations, reconcile my to-do list, dream about cute boys, figure out what I can actually recall from class...it doesn't end. Luckily, it hasn't always been this way, but it's getting worse. Any natural home remedies or insider tips? I'm tired of being tired. Thanks!

Replies

• jen051279
    Options
    Try melotonin. You can get it at Target or Walmart or a vitamin store.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Valerian Root is a herbal supplement that aids in sleep, doesn't give you that groggy hangover effect like benadryl or sleeping pills. Walmart, Food stores, drug stores all carry it in the vitamin isle.
    Pleasant dreams!:yawn:
  • JJHudgens
    JJHudgens Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    This may seem a bit of a corny suggestion....but do you have any kind of game on your phone or iPod you can play right as you're trying to sleep? A game such as Unblock Me has done the trick for me every time....may take 10 minutes....but before I know it my eyes get heavy. ;)
  • wolf23
    wolf23 Posts: 4,178 Member
    Options
    Read one of your textbooks...puts me to sleep every time.
  • acknan
    acknan Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Staring at a screen keeps you up, but I found a white noise app for my droid and I listen to crickets (although they have about ten other choices) and I am out like a light. It has a timer which I set for about 30 minutes and I've never been awake to hear it turn off!

Good luck!
  • katdanash
    katdanash Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I have had that same problem for years> The only thng that has helped me is going to bed at the same time every night and listening to soft music. I find myself concentrating on the music and the next thing I know the alarm is going off and its time to get up. Hope this helps . Nothing like living your day twice .
  • HealthyHereICome
    Options
    How about keeping pen and paper right next to your bed. That way, you can release your thoughts, feelings and to-do lists so your mind can rest.
  • CelesteENelson
    CelesteENelson Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Try a journal honestly. Before going to bed write down what happened that day things you need to remember for the next day. Its the best way to get things off your mind. Or even do it as you are laying in bed as you start to remember it so you arent going over and over it in your head trying to remember.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I have a noise machine called a sleep mate helps me fall asleep everynight. Sometimes if I am over whelmed I have a lil sachet of lavendar that I smell, it helps me to relax. I am a CNA and I work 2nd shift so some nights I get home and i can't relax and I just think too much about my work so it def helps me to sleep. But you could always buy benadryl (if I spelled that right) it's safer than a sleepin pill and my doctor even gave me a prescription one time for my sleep. So, just an idea.
  • AMBrody
    Options
    I really like the white noise app or machine. I would try listening to the white noise and concentrate on your breathing. If that doesn't work try Tylenol PM.
  • farmgirl88
    farmgirl88 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Try to cut out caffeine after noon (including chocolate). I sometimes work a puzzle (i.e. sudoku or word search) to wear out my mind. For me personally, my best way of falling asleep peacefully is by praying--thinking about my family and friends and surrendering the things on my mind to God helps me to unwind my mind, relax, and fall asleep completely at peace.
  • ♥Violette♥4Ever♥
    Options
    Try a journal honestly. Before going to bed write down what happened that day things you need to remember for the next day. Its the best way to get things off your mind. Or even do it as you are laying in bed as you start to remember it so you arent going over and over it in your head trying to remember.

The journal is a fantastic idea. I use this as my sleep remedy and it works because you put all your thoughts on paper. The only thing I can't get out of my head are the cute boys...but hell, who cares...their cute and why would I want them out of my head.

Good luck to you *hugs*
  • NordicHunter
    Options
    benadryl, I break them in half
  • Lsng4good
    Lsng4good Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    THATS IT!! hahaha! Why didn't I think of that!? :)
  • Lsng4good
    Options
    I do pray every night (and through out the day) but at night, I get so distracted that my prayers end up something like this: "God, you are so wonderful. Thank you so much for blessing me with another day to live for you...oh crap, I forgot to text Alycia back...oops, I mean, Jesus you are so great! And tomorrow I have a 8am meeting and......" I never get to Amen. :(
  • Lsng4good
    Options
    Try to cut out caffeine after noon (including chocolate). I sometimes work a puzzle (i.e. sudoku or word search) to wear out my mind. For me personally, my best way of falling asleep peacefully is by praying--thinking about my family and friends and surrendering the things on my mind to God helps me to unwind my mind, relax, and fall asleep completely at peace.

I do pray every night (and through out the day) but at night, I get so distracted that my prayers end up something like this: "God, you are so wonderful. Thank you so much for blessing me with another day to live for you...oh crap, I forgot to text Alycia back...oops, I mean, Jesus you are so great! And tomorrow I have a 8am meeting and......" I never get to Amen. :(
  • MuseumMonkey
    Options
    Try a herbal tea that contains chamomile. I don't like the taste of plain chamomile, but the President's Choice one with citrus is good, or Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime Tea.

No, really! For the longest time I couldn't get to sleep without it.
  • WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I work out every nite, makes me sooooo tired and I don't toss and turn anymore, some warm milk tea or decaf coffee always helps me too! I am just like you my mind runs as soon as my head hits the pillow, and the best thing I've found is lots's of cardio (any type:wink: ) right before bed works best!
  • mrjason
    mrjason Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hiya

I pop a melatonin, jump on the treadmill or elliptical for 20-30 minutes and I'm out like a light. Valium helps too if you go the Rx route. I've had sleeping problems for years but in the last couple of weeks the melatonin/exercize trick has actually helped.