Never Sore..

Options
In high school I never really worked out but always played sports.. the biggest thing for me that made me feel like I was getting a great workout was how much I sweat and how sore I was the next day. I'm NEVER sore.. ever. I feel like I'm not pushing it hard enough at the gym and I'm really not seeing any change in my body. Sweating on the other hand is another story.. I sweat more than I ever did playing sports. At the gym I usually do the Eliptical and run and today I tried to do a little bit of strength training. On a typical day I burn between 600 and 1,000 calories at the gym. I think I'm going to try to start 100 pushups and I really want to force myself to stick with an ab workout. Any Suggestions?

Replies

• liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    pay for a personal trainer at the gym....at least one time.......then let us know how ya feelin' :)
  • mmanderr18
    mmanderr18 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I wish! I'm a poor college student without a job.. definitely not in the cards right now haha
  • manda511
    manda511 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I did a circuit training thing the other day at the gym. It was called HIT (High Intensity Training). It included jump squats, crunches on Swiss ball, jump rope, drag & pull w/ 25 lb weight, lumberjack swings w/ weight, and kettle bell swings & lifts. This was all 30 seconds work, 30 seconds rest for 20 mins and then for 5 mins it was 15 seconds work and 15 seconds rest. My legs were really sore after doing it, mainly the muscles just above the knee. You might try doing something like that. Squats and lunges tend to make me pretty sore, at least for the 2 weeks or so that I do them.
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    When I no longer become soar from lifting I up my weights.I however are never soar from cardio.that's ok though I push really hard on weights.maybe you need more strength training.
  • AmeMahoney
    Options
    "A little bit of strength training?" What does that even mean? Please put down your 3 or 5 pound dumbbells, go to your nearest bookstore, and check out an Oxygen magazine. You don't even have to buy it. Just read it. Please, for the love of all heavy lifters, stop doing all the cardio and do some lifting! :happy:
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about weight training? Try a sculpting or weight training class at the gym.
  • mmanderr18
    mmanderr18 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    "A little bit of strength training?" What does that even mean? Please put down your 3 or 5 pound dumbbells, go to your nearest bookstore, and check out an Oxygen magazine. You don't even have to buy it. Just read it. Please, for the love of all heavy lifters, stop doing all the cardio and do some lifting! :happy:

Haha no 5 pound dumbells! I did the strength machines.. I'm not very familiar with their names but I believe a leg press (3 Rep of 15- 110 lb), leg extension (3 Rep of 15- 75 lb), Arm pull down thing (2 Rep of 12- 55 lb), and leg abduction and aduction (each 4 rep of 12- 75 lb). I know its not a lot but I'm trying! I am definitely going to try to make it a more prominent part of my workout.
  • gargust
    Options
    Lifting will get you that 'sore' feeling. I'll bet you could ask a trainer how to do a few free weight exercises properly and add those to your workout. Free weights will do more for you than machines...
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    pay for a personal trainer at the gym....at least one time.......then let us know how ya feelin' :)

Oh yeah! I could get you sore!!! :bigsmile:

Even if you can't afford to pay for some sessions, just take a couple minutes of a trainer's time when they're not busy and tell them you never get sore and want a few tips but can't afford a session. I can't imagine them not taking some time to show you a few things that'll change your workout and get you sore!

I sure would!! :bigsmile:
  • Yosemite4vr
    Yosemite4vr Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    If you can't get sore, doing one of the workouts from this website will make you sore!!! They are extremely creative!!!

http://www.bodyrock.tv/

They're pretty insane! I was an athlete in high school and worked out through college and I'm always looking for new ways to make myself sore and keep interested.

Try one of the exercise challenges.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Soreness is not a quality benchmark. It's more of a result of doing something different. That can be good, bad, or indifferent, depending on what you did.

If you are just starting out, there is no problem working gradually into a routine with lighter weights. That will help you work on your form and make the additional adaptation without excessive discomfort.

After a few sessions, you can start to focus your intensity and push harder. By that time your body will be ready for the harder work. You'll be able to make faster progress--even though you still might not get that sore.

Ultimately you should get to a point where you are lifting at or close to "failure" each set. Where that "failure" point occurs --4 reps, 8, 15--will depend on your program goals.

If you can't afford a trainer, there are other resources like the New Rules of Lifting for Women that might help you get some structure.

But I would not use sweating or soreness as measures of a quality workout--they really are not reliable indicators.