HELLO! this is My long long long story!

Options
:smile: Hi!~
I'm new here, I'm 18 this year, I'm studying in a polytechnic, i'm not from america, but i really feel that this site is pretty awesome especially the people here are so encouraging and sweet (: So i decided to join ya guys!

But i have some trouble when I want to track my calories because I usually consume asian food where I live, haha! So they don't have those foods in the lists and I not sure how many calories they are ): so I gauge them.. Not very good but now I try to eat things that are found on the lists and best to eat healthy foods, probably prepare my own food from scratch so I can calculate the ingredients and avoid the really oily/salty food that is common to find here. (:

ok! now for my long-winded story! ( but this is already the shorter version!):laugh:

I have always been overweight since i was a kid, I am serious, I have been overweight my whole life I dont remember how it is to be acceptable weight except when i saw my baby photo album I was really pretty and slim when i was 5! hahah thats the only time i was 'normal' weight. My friend looked at the photo and like, Hey ! You look really pretty then.. (then!) But i know she encourages me in losing weight :happy:

I guess the major weight gain was when I was in Primary school/Elementary school, I only found that out a few years ago, when i was flipping through my report cards, and it had the weight and height taken for each year for the fitness test, I saw the weight and i was shocked when I saw that i gained more than 10kg (that's like 23lbs) in a year! I was about 70kg(154lbs) in Elementary school! I guess I lost myself and couldn't be bothered with the constant insults i hear from my parent's friends, Like " ahh! Your little girl is so fat, should lose some weight like my pretty daughter you know she lost so much weigh learning ballet"my parents actually couldnt be bothered with what they let me eat, and what exercise i get, but they were like " yea you see that older sister, so pretty right" I was like :angry: actually somewhat jealous! but i couldnt be bother I got angsty and felt I want to get back at them and gained more weight, stuff my face, heck to what they think about me. .. *gulp*

Then in Secondary school, (I think taht's middle high school or highschool) I was 14? It was my major weight loss! My dad was encourgaing cause he helped me to eat lesser after i visted the family doctor just for flu but then he checked and he said my blood pressure or something was too high for a young girl my age, I was afraid to die so young!~
then my dad limited my carbs intake, I reallly cut down on the rice and noodles and such, liek almost not eating any. And I cant rememebr how long that diet was, but I lost 23lbs out of it, and people definately noticed the difference, I weighed about 158.5lbs If i remember well. i had compliments, and I saw the difference in my face, my chin got sharper! haha!

Then I started eating like normal again, my dad didnt do anything about it to get me back on that diet, neither did myself! Argh! Then i gained it alll back, yea, till when i was leaving high school, was weighed 180lbs?
Then before I went into tertiary education, I lost 4 kg(8.8lbs) to where i stand now, I didnt do anything specifically but i just somehow lost that weight.

then I got to know a friend from my class who lost alot of weight and thinking of losing more too, and i got to read up more on weight losing and exercise and changing the whole healthy lifestyle instead of just killing my carbs in my diet and get a weight boomerang back when i eat my beloved carbs AHAH!

Now I have this goal that is to lose weight at least till I hit the 60s, or 130ish lbs before my graduation, (only 1 and a half years to go!If i pass my semesters :laugh: ) but obviously i would be good to reach normal weight for my height, the last time i took my height was was 158cm, about 5'2?

:heart: And what i want to achieve is a normal BMI!~^^ I want to be healthy!!
:heart: And treated as 'normal'....not to be belittled when it comes to activities, despite my weight i can do stuff that normal people can do too! I always pass my fitness tests with silvers!
:heart: And to dance in public with all my heart out without looking silly, I love dancing, I never had lessons on dancing but i just love to dance, and to make my movements nicer I would be good to have a slimmer body for the moves to be more defined.
:heart: And I want to wear sleeveless clothes without my arms flapping like wings :blushing: HAHA!
and shorter skirts or shorts or tights without people saying my legs look like chicken wings/drumsticks ( yes it happened before)
:heart: or go to family gatherings and get compared to my cousins of same age and they say oh! Do, Re, Me or worst, Small, medium, large, yes you guessed it Im large! THANKS alot!
:heart: I don't want little kids to call me that FAT LADY, Im not THATTT fat, but it is hurtful, that is the most impactful comments i get , that is from kids, I love kids but they would only call me FAT, it's evident already out of the 4 times I helped out in childrens' camps i get called fat like 7 times. its embarassing for me and the friends with me.
and thats the biggest blow i get that make me so mad :cry: i wanna run around the world in 80days.
:laugh:

:heart: and i wanna eat and not look 'greedy'. somehow when i see overweight people eat or myself, even a nibble looks greedy.
:heart: I get these kind of things alot but I still dress up, pretty much into fashion, but i just dont look right, even with pretty clothes I still look frumply in those threads.
:heart: I want to cut any hairstyle and wear what i want without thinking of how to make myself looks slimer or hide unwanted sights
:heart: My dad used to be fit as a fiddle when i was a kiddy then he gained a lot at the belly and then recently he went on a serious weight loss swam laps everyday control his diet, and he lost sooo much! and even can see his abs now! haha! I would like to believe I am abs under my tummy fats HAHA! but ill never know until i lose all that flab! cause my it runs in the family to be overweight but then they lost after joining the army/navy and despite us being overweight we ususally can run very fast just too overweight to last long distance. (:laugh: no stamina)So i find the potential in doing well in sports if i lose the weight off!
:heart: get rid of my bad eating habits or binging/ sleeping after i eat / waste my time on computer games and television...haha.

People get motivated when they see skinny people, i dont really, i get motivated by healthy toned bodies, wow! but when i see more fuller figures like mine I want to lose weight too cause that makes me think " i dont want to end up like them or i dont wanna stay this way, and I hope they will lose weight to be healthy too"

and Im slowly tackling my weakness of laziness, and untidyness, so Ive been cleaning up my room changing my mindset on disciplining myself on everything. but i hope it last this time.
Only God can really help me to help myself.:wink:

I have a 1 month semester break now, and I want to make a good use out of it, i dont have a fitness regime yet that i would want to commit to but i was hoping to find or make one so I can get started and try to get used to it! I wanna lose as much as i can before school's hectic and stressful life comes again. I even quit my school'sfloorball school team because of how heavy my course's workload is... at the edge of failure!...

Well I wanna get serious about losing weight forever making it a habit, a lifestyle starting now before i reach adulthood,, Anyone got advice? Thank you in advance!^^ :heart:

Replies

• junsu
    junsu Posts: 13
    Options
    :smile: Hi!~
    I'm new here, I'm 18 this year, I'm studying in a polytechnic, i'm not from america, but i really feel that this site is pretty awesome especially the people here are so encouraging and sweet (: So i decided to join ya guys!

But i have some trouble when I want to track my calories because I usually consume asian food where I live, haha! So they don't have those foods in the lists and I not sure how many calories they are ): so I gauge them.. Not very good but now I try to eat things that are found on the lists and best to eat healthy foods, probably prepare my own food from scratch so I can calculate the ingredients and avoid the really oily/salty food that is common to find here. (:

ok! now for my long-winded story! ( but this is already the shorter version!):laugh:

I have always been overweight since i was a kid, I am serious, I have been overweight my whole life I dont remember how it is to be acceptable weight except when i saw my baby photo album I was really pretty and slim when i was 5! hahah thats the only time i was 'normal' weight. My friend looked at the photo and like, Hey ! You look really pretty then.. (then!) But i know she encourages me in losing weight :happy:

I guess the major weight gain was when I was in Primary school/Elementary school, I only found that out a few years ago, when i was flipping through my report cards, and it had the weight and height taken for each year for the fitness test, I saw the weight and i was shocked when I saw that i gained more than 10kg (that's like 23lbs) in a year! I was about 70kg(154lbs) in Elementary school! I guess I lost myself and couldn't be bothered with the constant insults i hear from my parent's friends, Like " ahh! Your little girl is so fat, should lose some weight like my pretty daughter you know she lost so much weigh learning ballet"my parents actually couldnt be bothered with what they let me eat, and what exercise i get, but they were like " yea you see that older sister, so pretty right" I was like :angry: actually somewhat jealous! but i couldnt be bother I got angsty and felt I want to get back at them and gained more weight, stuff my face, heck to what they think about me. .. *gulp*

Then in Secondary school, (I think taht's middle high school or highschool) I was 14? It was my major weight loss! My dad was encourgaing cause he helped me to eat lesser after i visted the family doctor just for flu but then he checked and he said my blood pressure or something was too high for a young girl my age, I was afraid to die so young!~
    then my dad limited my carbs intake, I reallly cut down on the rice and noodles and such, liek almost not eating any. And I cant rememebr how long that diet was, but I lost 23lbs out of it, and people definately noticed the difference, I weighed about 158.5lbs If i remember well. i had compliments, and I saw the difference in my face, my chin got sharper! haha!

Then I started eating like normal again, my dad didnt do anything about it to get me back on that diet, neither did myself! Argh! Then i gained it alll back, yea, till when i was leaving high school, was weighed 180lbs?
    Then before I went into tertiary education, I lost 4 kg(8.8lbs) to where i stand now, I didnt do anything specifically but i just somehow lost that weight.

then I got to know a friend from my class who lost alot of weight and thinking of losing more too, and i got to read up more on weight losing and exercise and changing the whole healthy lifestyle instead of just killing my carbs in my diet and get a weight boomerang back when i eat my beloved carbs AHAH!

Now I have this goal that is to lose weight at least till I hit the 60s, or 130ish lbs before my graduation, (only 1 and a half years to go!If i pass my semesters :laugh: ) but obviously i would be good to reach normal weight for my height, the last time i took my height was was 158cm, about 5'2?

:heart: And what i want to achieve is a normal BMI!~^^ I want to be healthy!!
    :heart: And treated as 'normal'....not to be belittled when it comes to activities, despite my weight i can do stuff that normal people can do too! I always pass my fitness tests with silvers!
    :heart: And to dance in public with all my heart out without looking silly, I love dancing, I never had lessons on dancing but i just love to dance, and to make my movements nicer I would be good to have a slimmer body for the moves to be more defined.
    :heart: And I want to wear sleeveless clothes without my arms flapping like wings :blushing: HAHA!
    and shorter skirts or shorts or tights without people saying my legs look like chicken wings/drumsticks ( yes it happened before)
    :heart: or go to family gatherings and get compared to my cousins of same age and they say oh! Do, Re, Me or worst, Small, medium, large, yes you guessed it Im large! THANKS alot!
    :heart: I don't want little kids to call me that FAT LADY, Im not THATTT fat, but it is hurtful, that is the most impactful comments i get , that is from kids, I love kids but they would only call me FAT, it's evident already out of the 4 times I helped out in childrens' camps i get called fat like 7 times. its embarassing for me and the friends with me.
    and thats the biggest blow i get that make me so mad :cry: i wanna run around the world in 80days.
    :laugh:

:heart: and i wanna eat and not look 'greedy'. somehow when i see overweight people eat or myself, even a nibble looks greedy.
    :heart: I get these kind of things alot but I still dress up, pretty much into fashion, but i just dont look right, even with pretty clothes I still look frumply in those threads.
    :heart: I want to cut any hairstyle and wear what i want without thinking of how to make myself looks slimer or hide unwanted sights
    :heart: My dad used to be fit as a fiddle when i was a kiddy then he gained a lot at the belly and then recently he went on a serious weight loss swam laps everyday control his diet, and he lost sooo much! and even can see his abs now! haha! I would like to believe I am abs under my tummy fats HAHA! but ill never know until i lose all that flab! cause my it runs in the family to be overweight but then they lost after joining the army/navy and despite us being overweight we ususally can run very fast just too overweight to last long distance. (:laugh: no stamina)So i find the potential in doing well in sports if i lose the weight off!
    :heart: get rid of my bad eating habits or binging/ sleeping after i eat / waste my time on computer games and television...haha.

People get motivated when they see skinny people, i dont really, i get motivated by healthy toned bodies, wow! but when i see more fuller figures like mine I want to lose weight too cause that makes me think " i dont want to end up like them or i dont wanna stay this way, and I hope they will lose weight to be healthy too"

and Im slowly tackling my weakness of laziness, and untidyness, so Ive been cleaning up my room changing my mindset on disciplining myself on everything. but i hope it last this time.
    Only God can really help me to help myself.:wink:

I have a 1 month semester break now, and I want to make a good use out of it, i dont have a fitness regime yet that i would want to commit to but i was hoping to find or make one so I can get started and try to get used to it! I wanna lose as much as i can before school's hectic and stressful life comes again. I even quit my school'sfloorball school team because of how heavy my course's workload is... at the edge of failure!...

Well I wanna get serious about losing weight forever making it a habit, a lifestyle starting now before i reach adulthood,, Anyone got advice? Thank you in advance!^^ :heart:
  • nichols
    nichols Posts: 240
    Options
    welcome. youve come to the rite place. best of luck to u.
  • nuttyrubs
    Options
    hello. i loved your story and your spirit..u r definitely gonna win
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    Whoa! You really do have a good perspective about yourself and life. To me that makes you a survivor so from one survivor to another you hang in there because you will achieve your goals no matter how difficult the road ahead may be or feel.

Welcome aboard. :flowerforyou:
  • dewpearl
    dewpearl Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Hi, there :flowerforyou:

good luck with everything! The most part of it is, as you acknowledge, getting a proper mind set and changing the perspective on things. I'm battling it myself at the moment, so I can't say what's the easy way out, but one thing I know is that being a perfectionist is almost equivalent with being unhappy. You have to learn to let some things go and focus on the important ones.

Yes, being overweight is not OK, but for health reasons. You have to learn how to feel happy in your clothes, cos weight loss and the way you see yourself pretty much go hand in hand. If you think "I'm ugly, I don't look good no matter what I wear, I don't like my body type" and alike, then you'll most likely not find that motivation that pushes you further in the weight loss adventure.

Phew, this is getting long, so let's take it one step at a time. Post a question, we'll post replies :wink: .

:flowerforyou: , good luck, and keep us posted on your progress.
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    WELCOME! :flowerforyou:
  • junsu
    Options
    hello rheston, dewpearl and metco89 thanks for the welcomes!:flowerforyou:

and yea its really a lot of mental not only the physical to get started!~
    dont owrry im not a perfectionist, but that might be my weakness, im too wishy-washythat i like any discipline to do things constantly.. haha!

well, I would like to ask if anyone has some fitness plans ( like exercise or diet) for a person my age and busy~ i would like to know maybe from your own experiences what youre doing now to lose the weight, maybe some stepping stones for me?
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I realize a lot of your story comes from cultural differences. I have worked with wonderful Asian people who were blunt honest. No sugar coating like here in the States.

I remember coming back from hiatus as a server at a nice steakhouse. I was a seasonal employee and couldnt wait to see my freinds.

My friend Andy (Thai) came around the corner and said...Oh you so FAT...must work full year so you dont get fatter. This with a big smile and hug, he loved me. I had put on 30 pounds and he was right....but being American I really didnt appreciate his honestly.

I have always wondered how this blunt honestly affects the children of these countries. Of course I also wonder how USA got to be the' everything is ok, you are wonderful and can do no wrong 'country also. there must be some happy medium.

Now to the point: You are a very intelligent girl. You will figure this out and get to a healthy weight. Exercise is very important and dancing is great exercise. I put on a heartrate monitor and danced for 30 minutes and burned as many calories as walk/jog at 15 min mile!!

When you get the chance DANCE like nobody is watching!! :flowerforyou:
  • Juliebean
    Options
    Welcome! :flowerforyou: So glad to have you here. I'm sure you will find the love and support you need here because this is an AWESOME group. I completely understand being busy and not knowing how to fit everything into an already packed schedule so I will share some of the things that have worked for me.

Drink plenty of water. Honestly, you have to drink at least 8 glasses a day. It definitely helps to flush your body of the toxins and other harmful things that are stored up.

When I'm on the go between class and work I always make sure that I have a snack packed in case I get hungry. Everyone I know jokes about how my purse always has food in it, but if I bring along a healthier snack I can avoid making unhealthy decisions just because there's nothing else available. Try to carry fruit, or Fiber One bars (not sure if they have those there. If so, definitely pick some up! They're well worth it!)

Exercise, exercise, exercise! I have A LOT to lose and I had to start out slow because I got very winded very fast. I started out walking only 15 mins a day and slowly increased. Now I'm walking 30 mins every day, doing the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred dvd, and doing 5-10 minutes on the elliptical machine.

If you have any questions or need any help with anything don't be afraid to ask. Everyone here is so friendly! Good luck and keep us posted on your success! :smile:
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Great story girlie and welcome! You will love MFP! :drinker:
  • dewpearl
    Options
    My friend Andy (Thai) came around the corner and said...Oh you so FAT...must work full year so you dont get fatter. This with a big smile and hug, he loved me. I had put on 30 pounds and he was right....but being American I really didnt appreciate his honestly.

I don't think everyone's the same. Whether American, Asian, or European (like me). We have a saying "Lord's Garden is a big place", that is, full of very different characters.

I fully agree! My hubby's not a ballerina :laugh: , but ever since he noticed that 90% of the guys in the dance class aren't better than him, he insists on us going to the next level at the end of the current one. So we're now in a"Gold medal" class (gold medal alright, we couldn't dance one song through in a party, but at the end of the day, it is so much fun!). So go for it, girl!

:flowerforyou: for a pretty Asian girl
  • Ezzie
    Ezzie Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard....you'll do wonderfully here! I hope you will post some of your recipes for your favorite foods that are different, it's always fun to try something new. Adding them to the data base when you can for all of us to share might be fun as well......but one step at a time.

Jump in where you feel comfortable, feel free to ask ANYTHING ( you won't believe some of the questions!! {{giggle}}). We do have a lot of fun while working on the serious side of changing into the people we want to be.

Ezzie
  • vldowd
    vldowd Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the site! You will find tons of support here at the site. As far as calculating calories there is a fabulous site www.sparkpeople.com that has a recipe calculator where you just put in the ingredients and it will calculate the calories and all the other nutrition facts. I'm not sure if they have alot of the asian ingredients but it is worth a try.

For me education of the different calories in food has been a huge catalyst. I'm very empathetic for you, asian food is one of my weaknesses. :angry: My godmother is Korean and thankfully I didn't live too close to her. Every time I saw her she would say "You too skinny, you eat!" and off she would go to create a feast. :grumble:

You will also find there are people on this site from all over the world!

Enjoy your new lifestyle :drinker:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

I don't think everyone's the same. Whether American, Asian, or European (like me). We have a saying "Lord's Garden is a big place", that is, full of very different characters.

I fully agree! My hubby's not a ballerina :laugh: , but ever since he noticed that 90% of the guys in the dance class aren't better than him, he insists on us going to the next level at the end of the current one. So we're now in a"Gold medal" class (gold medal alright, we couldn't dance one song through in a party, but at the end of the day, it is so much fun!). So go for it, girl!

:flowerforyou: for a pretty Asian girl

I absolutly agree we are all different. I was only commenting on cultural differences, because they are real. DIdnt mean to offend anyone. :cry:

OK so lets all dance together now! If my DH would dance with me the world would stop spinning and I would never let him stop!!
  • junsu
    Options
    juliebean:
    yes you guys have been awesome!
    oh yes thanks for the very useful tips, i remember when i was in school last month and rushing on my assignments and i had to sit and draw for the whole day, i drank a lot of water went to the toilet a lot haha but fille dup my water bottle a lot too, so i felt good and not stuffed up like you said.. (:
    and yea a snack is goood sometimes i pack a nut and raisin mix haha! i dont really fancy granola bars for some reason, makes me feel icky sometimes haha! that's my weakness): fibre one? ill try to find it..
    today i went to the gym ill post it up.. thanks for the help and yes ill post questions up (: thank you!~:smile:

princesslaundry, hello! thanks for being so welcoming~!!~^^ :happy:

dewpearl:
    hahah! you and your husband's so cute! haha! you go man, show your stuff! wow! gold medal class, huh! hahah!
    sounds like a bunch of fun! :flowerforyou: thank you!

Ezzie:
    I havent tried using the recipe maker thing yet but ill try soon, I dont really do any cooking that much just simple things like eating rice with kimchi and some side dish and normal salad, nothing fancy (: haha but when i get a nice asian healthy recipe ill share with ya guys (: Thank you!~^^

vldowd:
    thanks! I 've been using that website its informative for the article and exercise vids (: but i like it here cause the community is so welcoming~ ^^ heehee and thanks for the info ill try to search for the foods (: yeah its good to know how much i'm consuming wow, im sure you have been shocked when you calculate what youve been eating for the first time, yea, well, i was...hahah!
    And wow your godmother's Korean and she cooks korean food? , that's too good!! hahaha, I still eat korean food a lot haha, one of my favorites

kimchi soup is really good and healthy and easy to make, anyone posted how to make kimchi soup yet? haha.i'm gonna try cook up for my friends next week, maybe ill post up what i did (: and yes older asian females like godmothers, grandmothers especially always say that, like my grandmother always cooking up and huge feast for the younger ones haha!

arewethereyet:
    (: thanks for your message you're very kind and sweet (: )
    yeah let's all go dancing! hahaha, i'll take up dancing someday maybe get a friend to accompany me~^^ I'm into haha locking, popping that sorta dance, just very influenced by korean pop, dance music~

and it is somewhat true... in asian countries, people have a more petite build, especially girls, and what you may call 'normal' size in your country in my country would be more bigger size cause of our bone structure and size.
    and kids are always honest, they dont lie or fake about what they see, they only have thin , normal and fat in their vocabulary haha! but they speak the truth! haha.

and people especially those who are more erm proud of stuck-up about their own figures or never had their own experience or a best friend that is struggling with their weight would just make passing comments about other people, they can be quite cruel with their words, i shant say what but they even exclaim sometimes. which is really, uncalled for, yea.
    i have many stories of such my friends told me before about hers too... you'll be shocked haha.
    but that's only a few bunch, the rest of the people i know are very sensitive towards other's feelings, i dont know hwat they are thinking inside but so not all asian are like that, just some. haha.
    but it is very common for relatives to tease haha, thats like some tradition or something haha! just kidding~

I guess sugar coating or being politically correct is appreciated sometimes but when someone shoots you a blunt comment i guess its really hurtful or embarassing but it motivates me somewhat, to show them you can change (:

whoops i type a lot sorry! (:

HERE's MY GYM WORKOUT FOR TODAY!:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/25134-i-went-to-the-gym-today
  • kimmerlyjo
    kimmerlyjo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Junsu... Where exactly is it that you live? I'm an american stationed in Japan and i understand the frustration you have with trying to log the asian food equivilants. I've sort of figured out how to work it and add certain foods. If you need any help please let me know! I have nothing but the utmost faith that you will succeed in your goal!
  • junsu
    Options
    oh hello kimmerlyjo!~^^
    I live in Singapore!~
    yes yes do share your knowledge on how to log the foods in (:
  • dewpearl
    Options
    dewpearl:
    hahah! you and your husband's so cute! haha! you go man, show your stuff! wow! gold medal class, huh! hahah!
    sounds like a bunch of fun! :flowerforyou: thank you!

It sounds much more advanced than it is. :laugh: They actually have these names for the "advanced" (we aren't advanced, really), to get people trust themselves and join in. Make people feel like they are good, yeah :laugh: , but it's more for the fun of it and for squeezing some activity that we can do together :happy: in our busy lives.

So don't imagine I'm a medal dancer :embarassed: (not that I don't wish I were :wink: )
  • junsu
    Options
    hahah! wow, why not?

what kind of dance are you learning?~
  • His_Kelly
    Options
    Hello junsu!

I have the utmost confidence that you can do whatever you set your heart on. You have already taken the first step by joining us here. Remember we are all here whenever you need help.

Welcome, welcome, welcome!!!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: