Q. For people on 1200Kcal a day and exercising

Options
2»

Replies

• thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I put it this way. if you are not eating your exercise calories and you are not losing weight you need to start since you've thrown your body into starvation mode. You need to be aware that when you do you might gain a little weight before you start losing again but that's to be expected and a normal part of the process of your metabolism starting up again.

I am very much for you eating as many of your exercise calories as you want. Despite the people on here talking about how they lose weight when they don't, if you go and read the links in the newbies post at the top of the forum it tells you why you should eat them.
    Very short version - you will lose weight if you don't eat them HOWEVER you're probably going to put it all back on and then some when you stop counting calories.
    The threads are much more in depth and worth the time it takes to read them.

I don't advocate eating them if you're not hungry however. Only if you are. Number one rule is you should never starve your self. Your body knows how much it wants to eat. You've just got to learn what, when to feed it and when to stop.
  • MysticMaiden22
    MysticMaiden22 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I thought this blog post was intriguing. It shows what can happen when you don't eat back your exercise calories on a 1200 a day diet. You can hurt yourself or make yourself sick doing this.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/aeryn69/view/the-dark-side-of-tracking-everything-63025

Exercise is meant for toning the body, getting the blood flowing, and releasing toxins through sweat. Amongst many other benefits. I do my best to eat about 1700 calories a day and burn off about 300 on average. I never go below 1200 with exercise. That is dangerous.
  • HarmonyD
    Options
    One thing I haven't read through some of these posts....change your exercising habits. it sounds like you hit a plateau. Choose a new exercise, the intensity of current work outs, etc. Try interval training-jog a little, sprint a little, jog, sprint, etc to help your metabolism. The slow/fast routine can be done walking, running, biking, elliptical(izing), etc.
  • RussianLynx
    Options
    I eat about half of my "exercise calories". This helps make my calorie deficit bigger on the days I log a lot of workout time (yay!).

I tried not eating any of my "exercise calories" and I felt like I was running on empty. I definitely need that extra bit of energy in order to make it through the workout and the rest of the day without feeling like a car that's run out of gas.
  • feathers1981
    feathers1981 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Wow, thanks so much for all the posts!! It's good to know that there are so many people willing to lend a helping hand and the benefit of thier experience!!

I try to eat 'clean' and also I have been shaking my exercise up! Recently quit marathon running so am enjoying getting into cycling, boot camp, spinning etc.

I guess I really just have a to find out what works for me....I'll see how I get on and ajust up/down accordingly.

Thanks a lot guys and good luck! :smile: :smile: :smile:

Feathers x
  • feathers1981
    feathers1981 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
  • aeryn69
    aeryn69 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You definitely need to eat at least some of you exercise calories back.

Calories are what your body uses for fuel, when you're exercising you're burning more fuel and your body needs to get that from somewhere. Sure for a while it'll take it from your fat stores but after a bit it starts to look for ways to cut back on the energy it burns, and that means your body works less effeciently.

You can read my blog post here for more information.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/aeryn69/view/the-great-calorie-misconception-64913
  • Diamond_angel14
    Options
    u can eat like 100 of the calories you've burned but not alll the caloried that you've burned because that will make u not lose weight bas also not gain weight.
    so i hope that helped
    and btw im 5'4 and 127 so were near to each other
    and i guess i know ur feeling after workout ,u feel hungry becuz u burned alot of calored just eat something after it but not alllllllllllllll the calories you've burned ..:)