Need help giving up soda!

Options
I know it shouldn't be hard, but I just can't fathom giving up soda! I have at least 1 can (of diet) a day, sometimes 2 or 3. I get really sick of plain water. Any suggestions on how to cut back and eventually get down to none???

Replies

• Frappuzzino
    Frappuzzino Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Just try drinking more water. Then gradually remove 1 can of soda a day and replace it with water. You should be good in a couple of weeks. I gave up soda 3 years ago and can't stand even 1 sip of it now!
  • momsailor
    momsailor Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Try sparkling mineral water with Propel mixed in if it's the fizz you like. Propel is 10 calories per little packet.
    If it's the taste you're after, there are flavored vitamin waters out there, too, and they have zero calories. Unsweetened iced tea with lemon, also zero calories, and you can get regular "black" tea or even herbal "Passion" iced tea at Starbucks! I make my own iced tea by brewing hot tea and pouring it over ice - much better tasting than the powdered stuff.
    Hope that helps!
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I drink Diet Mountain Dew and I know it is supposed to be bad for me. I just don't see myself ever giving it up. I have given up sooo much. Think I will keep my Diet Dew.
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I don't honestly know other than to jsut say "I'm not going to have soda today." And then after you get through today tell your self you're not going to have soda the next day or the next. It's not easy, but that's what I did and I've even learned to love water.
  • mpatternmaker
    mpatternmaker Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem, I love, love, love diet soda it's my afternoon "sweet fix". But alas it was causing me digestive distress. I quit cold turkey, I replaced it with turkey hill diet green tea and individual crystal lite drink mixes I added to bottled water. IT WAS NOT EASY!!!! but I did it. I still on occasion will have a soda but now that I know what it was doing to my body I am really cautious about drinking it. Good luck!
  • jackswife1207
    jackswife1207 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I cut it down gradually so I didn't get the dreaded caffeine headache. I cut to 3/4 can for a few days, then 1/2, then 1/4 until none. I have one occasionally (usually with pizza) but it's not enough that I get back in the habit again. I agree to try some of the flavor packets in your water for variety.
  • Buterphly
    Options
    Try subbing one can of coke with crystal light. If this works then sub another... then you got it:smile: Thats what I did. Hope it helps!:flowerforyou:
  • cnjbarry
    cnjbarry Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    if you dont like plain water try adding a sliced lemon or lime to your water pitcher in the fridge. or get some crystal lite.:wink:
    I know how hard it is to give up your fav drink. I used to drink on average 10 cups of coffee a day (double double!:blushing: ) I have now cut down to 2 with cream and sweet n low and tons of water ( with the odd crystal lite for a change) I feel your pain its tough
  • peytonsmommi
    Options
    I use to drink Pepsi everyday, all day, nothing else. Yeah really really bad. Last month I looked in a mirror and really SAW what that was doing to me, my skin, hair, body and decided enough was enough. I quit cold turkey and it was actually easy I thought I would get headaches and such but none of that happened. I'm not saying I have been completely soda free for a month but I went from about 8 -2L bottles a week to maybe one can a week. The first couple weeks I drank no soda at all, but then figured I have it under control so I do allow myself to have that one can a week.

I hate plain water it just tastes bad to me, so I use crystal light but only half a single serving in each bottle of water. It has helped alot I now drink at least 4 bottles of water with cyrstal light a day.
  • clneary
    clneary Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I gave it up just stopped when i starte on here....now i will have a sip of my hubby (soda fanatic) every now and then but i drink a lots of water all day long....i used to drink 4 or 5 cans a day. i do know how hard it is and yes i did get headaches for a few days...but you do get past it.... good luck and you can do it
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I've been struggling with this as well. I've gotten dozens of suggestions to replace my diet soda with Crystal light or other drink additive. My question is: health-wise what's the darn difference? An artificial sweetner is an artifical sweetner.....
    I just don't see how the alternative is any better than the first choice. I drink no coffee or tea, some juice since it is high in cals, skim milk and water (which i despise!)
  • peytonsmommi
    Options
    I did the math and each 250ml of Pepsi for example has 110 calories in it, plus a lot of other nasty stuff.
    Each 500ml of bottle water with crystal light in it has 10 calories.

So on average for what I was drinking in Pepsi a day 880 calories times 7(minimum)=6160 calories a week.
    My mother is a nurse and marathon runner and helped me do the weight gain per week.
    With Pepsi I was gaining 1.3lbs a week and that was just pepsi didn't include the crappy food I was eating and doing zero exercise.
  • loseit4ever
    loseit4ever Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! I have the hardest time giving up my diet soda! I will go for a day or two without drinking it and then I'm right back to it. I am really trying to cut down on it because of the sodium. A lot of diet soda has enough sodium that as you add it up, it makes your sodium for a day outrageous! It's just one of the things I know I can't quit altogether, so I'm trying to greatly reduce it. Good luck!
  • thetorontokid2
    Options
    NO SODA is my February challenge!! I have only had one coke this month, I fill myself up with WATER and make sodas inaccessible. As in, I don't buy them and keep them at home and I leave all my change at home so I can't be tempted by a vending machine (this helps with candy and other snacks, too!) And when I'm at restaurants I think about the extra $1-2, even $3 it will save on the bill by ordering water!

YOU CAN DO IT!!! :D
  • bugnbeansmom
    bugnbeansmom Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of decaf iced tea. (too much caffine makes me a grouchy girl.) I get bored as well and will have a diet Root Beer every now and then. Somtimes I treat myself to one can of regular coke. That being said, I bought a Mr. Tea Iced Tea maker. (best $15 I ever spent). When I am placing the bags of tea to the filter area, I will layer a mint leaf between each one. Adds a natural flavor that is different then just tea and just a hint of sweet. Really helps me out and is VERY refreshing.