Apology issued!

Options
Okay, I have to issue an apology because I have silently chuckled when I would see people post doing certain things as calorie burning. I would think: Lame! Shame on me for being judgmental ! Some things does count and from now on I am going to be putting them down. :D

Attention shoppers: Window shopping is not a workout. Which daily tasks do make the cut as exercise? FITNESS Magazine breaks it down here.

Walking
Does It Count? IT DEPENDS
A leisurely stop-and-shop visit to the mall won’t get your heart rate up to the cardio zone and keep it there. What does? A walk at a peppy pace of at least three miles per hour done in chunks of 10 minutes or more. Still, adding up steps at any speed is smart since studies show that those who take more of them are healthier. In one recent study, participants who increased their daily step count over five years not only lowered their body mass index (or BMI, a scale body weight), they lowered their risk of diabetes. Researchers estimate that going from 3,000 to 10,000 steps a day would improve a person’s insulin sensitivity threefold. MORE: What's Your BMI? Calculate it, fast!

Cleaning the House
Does It Count? YES
There's a reason they call it housework, honey. You can burn serious calories and work major muscle groups during a marathon cleaning session—mopping floors for 30 minutes burns 112 calories and works your shoulders and biceps. Chores that don’t get your heart pumping? Folding laundry, ironing and washing the dishes. MORE: Dance away dirt with this Ultimate Spring-Cleaning Playlist

Taking the Stairs
Does It Count? YES
Think of climbing a flight of stairs as a series of butt-firming, leg-toning lunges that counts as anaerobic exercise. (Spread it over 30-minutes on the StairMaster and now we’re talking cardio.) To get the best fitness benefits, it’s best to take them two at a time, according to a study at Pennsylvania State University in University Park. “You use bigger muscle groups when you skip a step,” lead author Jinger Gottschall, Ph.D., says. “Since these muscles require more energy to be active, you end up burning more calories.”

Carrying Your Baby or Pushing a Stroller
New moms likely rack up a couple dozen biceps curls each day by scooping up junior and a prolonged arm muscle contraction by cradling him—but cardio exercise it’s not. A better bet: Pushing the stroller at a 3-mile-per-hour pace or playing tag with your toddler. MORE: Lose the baby weight in one month with this No Fuss Workout Slideshow

Gardening
Does It Count? YES
Between all the up-and-down moves, lugging materials from the shed, winding up a hose after watering the lawn, and much more, 60 minutes of gardening can burn more than 250 calories all while working your arms and backs of your legs.

Walking Your Dog
Does It Count? YES

You have to walk your dog anyway, so bump up the workout with this little game: When you're in your yard or a fenced-in park, get a head start on your dog so it's chasing you. Then change direction so it races for you again. Try walking for three minutes and then sprinting for 30 seconds. Chase your pup fives times every doggy outing, and you'll burn 98 calories per 20-minute stroll.

Playing Wii Games
You won’t work up a sweat if your video game of choice is Guitar Hero, but a study by the American Council on Exercise found that others like Wii Fit’s Island Run and Free Run burn about 5.5 calories per minute. Still, say the study authors, it’s a “very, very mild workout” so opting for a Wii Sports title may be more of the jumping around you need to turn up the burn.

Replies

• Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
    Love it! :laugh:
  • StaceG1986
    Options
    I wore my HRM once while ironing and it did actually burn a lot of calories!
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Attention shoppers: Window shopping is not a workout.

But... but... but... what if those jeans in the window raise my heart rate??? Can I count it then??? :tongue: :laugh:
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    Edited : WOW : I was only joking around, no problem here. Sorry if anyone took that that wrong way! It doesn't really matter much to me how people want to count their activities...
  • carolyne2
    Options
    Okay, I have to issue an apology because I have silently chuckled when I would see people post doing certain things as calorie burning. I would think: Lame! Shame on me for being judgmental ! Some things does count and from now on I am going to be putting them down. :D

LOL, I see where you are coming from on this BUT (and there's always I but, I know) I am of the opinion that things you do everyday, and have done for years, like housework, gardening and walking the dog etc, don't count towards excersise. I feel that the only excersise that should count is excersise that is done over and above the normal work you do during a day. I think your body is used to the everday excersise that is done during the course of just carrying out everyday things and in order to make a difference you have to do EXTRA. It would be lovely to think that I could lose weight just cleaning, shopping, ironing and gardening etc., but trust me, in 51years it hasn't done a thing for me lol.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    just sitting here filing my nails. Does that count??? :laugh:

I definitely think window shopping should be up there too, I mean, its gotta be better than sitting in McDonalds eating fries while you're out shopping!! Suuuuurely!! :laugh:

Sherry, this is so funny after our conversation!!! :laugh:

xx
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options

But... but... but... what if those jeans in the window raise my heart rate??? Can I count it then??? :tongue: :laugh:

:laugh: LMAO :laugh:
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options

LOL, I see where you are coming from on this BUT (and there's always I but, I know) I am of the opinion that things you do everyday, and have done for years, like housework, gardening and walking the dog etc, don't count towards excersise. I feel that the only excersise that should count is excersise that is done over and above the normal work you do during a day. I think your body is used to the everday excersise that is done during the course of just carrying out everyday things and in order to make a difference you have to do EXTRA. It would be lovely to think that I could lose weight just cleaning, shopping, ironing and gardening etc., but trust me, in 51years it hasn't done a thing for me lol.

I agree!
  • CorydonCutie
    CorydonCutie Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    This was supposed to be quoted...

Tue 02/15/11 10:45 AM Tangentially related, some people list bedroom activity as 'housecleaning'...just sayin'

I wondered about that. I know sometimes my heart rate gets Zumba Fitness level. I should have put it down. LOL
  • carolyne2
    Options
    :laugh: Tangentially related, some people list bedroom activity as 'housecleaning'...just sayin'

Yes, whats your problem, changing the sheets is housecleaning, thats the only activity going on in mine at the moment, and it burns more calories lol.
  • NewMomma1982
    NewMomma1982 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I agree....most people carrying a baby around wouldn't be getting a workout. But when you're 7 month old is already 25lbs. and doesn't have the control that an 18 month old would, it's DEF a workout. Now I don't count the regular day to day activities that we do. But when I strap him on in the bjorn to do a grocery trip, rather than putting him in the cart, that's a HUGE workout. Just sayin.... ;)
  • sherrywoody1
    Options
    LOL! Me too, hmmmm I wonder if lecturing my kids count!....my heart rate is certainly up!
  • sherrywoody1
    Options
    LOL! Victoria, I just got through talking with Beth and telling her how I would laugh at some of the things that she and you...(cough, cough, sorry, count you as one of mine so feel free to add you in)... would log.. now I stand corrected, sorry honey, even if you two didn't know I was snickering at yall, ;)
  • eannhaynie
    eannhaynie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    New moms likely rack up a couple dozen biceps curls each day by scooping up junior and a prolonged arm muscle contraction by cradling him—but cardio exercise it’s not. A better bet: Pushing the stroller at a 3-mile-per-hour pace or playing tag with your toddler. MORE: Lose the baby weight in one month with this No Fuss Workout Slideshow

You are just jealous you don't have a load of baby to lug around, LOL!!!! ;))) Hahahaha, love ya momma!
  • sherrywoody1
    Options

You are just jealous you don't have a load of baby to lug around, LOL!!!! ;))) Hahahaha, love ya momma!
    [/quo
    LOL! Yep, my secret ambition: to be a young mom again so I can lug around kiddies...
  • sherrywoody1
    Options
    Love it! :laugh:

Me too! Geeze, I am burning calories just sitting here thinking of ways to burn my calories, snicker.....hee, hee, hee ;)
  • sherrywoody1
    Options
    I wore my HRM once while ironing and it did actually burn a lot of calories!

pinkprincess1986, Yes! I wore my HRM one day while going through the day and burned a ton of calories but it still didn't make a difference in my weight, :P I think I have a slow metabolism...
  • sherrywoody1
    Options

Backinthenines, LOL! Right! Besides, think of all the happy endorphins it releases into our bodies...that's got to count for something!
  • sherrywoody1
    Options
    just sitting here filing my nails. Does that count??? :laugh:

I definitely think window shopping should be up there too, I mean, its gotta be better than sitting in McDonalds eating fries while you're out shopping!! Suuuuurely!! :laugh:

Sherry, this is so funny after our conversation!!! :laugh:

xx

LOL! Anna, I know, I burst out laughing when I saw the article....
  • sherrywoody1
    Options
    Edited : WOW : I was only joking around, no problem here. Sorry if anyone took that that wrong way! It doesn't really matter much to me how people want to count their activities...

Loopytoucan, :) I didn't see where you posted hon, but there is nothing wrong with joking , glad you responded, :D