Favorite Strength Training Exercises??

Options
What are yours?

I've been stuck at this weight for a while. I know there are things about my diet and cardio that I need to change and I'm starting to change these. I also know a big thing I need to do is incorporate weights into my routine. I've looked up a great website someone sent me that has some great ideas to do at home.

But what are your favorites? Weights aren't my favorite so knowing what others like might help me find some I really like. I've biceps and triceps as well squats incorporated into my routine that I don't mind so I need to find some more!

Replies

• iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    My favorite is the Power Clean (some call it Clean & Jerk).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clean_and_jerk

It works every major muscle group. Plus it adds explosion. I start every strength training session with it. You'll be plenty warm when your done.
  • floydg68
    Options
    I work out at a gym but there are many exercises you can do at home that work well. First off, you can design a "circuit" of 6-8 exercises that you do one right after the other with minimal rest. This will raise your heart rate and increase your calorie burn. It can look something like this:
    Warm up by jogging in place for 2 minutes.
    Stretch for another 3 minutes then begin the circuit
    30 second of crunches
    30 seconds of rest
    30 seconds of "jumping jacks"
    30 second of rest
    30 seconds of wall squats
    30 seconds of rest
    30 seconds of leg lifts
    30 seconds of rest
    30 seconds of push-ups
    30 seconds of rest
    30 seconds of planks
    30 seconds of rest
    30 seconds of dumb bell rows
    30 seconds of rest
    30 seconds of bicep curls
    Rest 3 minutes and repeat.

You can add any exercises you want in a sequence like this that mostly involves lifting your body and it will do the trick.
    Good luck.
  • outersoul
    Options
    Google compound exercises. They give you the most bang for your buck. You mentioned squats but I also include bench, deadlifts, rows, and pullups.
  • smelmel
    smelmel Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    bent over rows, there are some good training tips on you tube and you can see the correct form,
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    All of them. Make sure you hit all the major muscles... quads, hamstrings, calves, abs, chest, shoulders, back, biceps, triceps. Hit different muscles on different days.

But if I had to pick a favorite, I guess it would be curls. After all, the biceps is America's favorite muscle :)
  • jodi8135
    Options
    kettle ball exercises are great work out its cardio and weights
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Prison workout routines. All around body toning with minimal and innovative applications using the environment around you...as jail necessitates that innovation :happy:
  • ✿KẙMb529✿
    Options
    Weights def aren't my fav either! Are you a member at a gym? I gotten into the habit of going to the class Body Pump twice a week. I'm much more likely to strength train in a class!