Don't understand my body/weight!

Options
So I have a question...I am 5 foot 4 inches and 163 lbs. I wear a size 6 and am generally happy with my body image but I never understood my weight in relation to the basic sizes I wear. At the most I wear a size 8. There are women out there who weight 163 and are in a size 12/14 which I've never been. What gives? I don't ever work out anymore so it's not muscle mass. Anyways...we started the biggest loser at my work and my goal is to get to 145. I used to be an elite gymnast and very active healthy person until about the age of 23, i'm 26 now and for the last 3 years have had NO motitvation and ive gained 20 lbs to show for it, blah....so overalll i am VERY EXCITED to get back into the swing of things....just was curious about my weight to size thing...

Replies

• hjollyrn
    hjollyrn Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. That's interesting. When I was 150 the smallest I wore was 10. Now 175 and at 12/14. Maybe it's just how it's distributed. Whatever it is, I'm jealous! ;). Good luck!
  • jcch00
    jcch00 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and 125 lbs. I wear a size 6. When I was your weight, I was a size 14/16. I'm only 1 inch shorter than you, so I have no idea how to answer your question. Weird!
  • Missyb76
    Options
    i am 5'5" and weigh 176..i wear a 12/14 as well!! man...lucky!!! :)
  • dracobaby82
    dracobaby82 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    all I can say is I'm JEALOUS!!! I'm about 5'4 and right at that 163 mark... and I'm between a 13-14 I don't know but it's definitely a good thing for you! I could only wish to be in a size 6 right now lol
  • gangstagirl625
    gangstagirl625 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    im 168 and where a ten thats weird
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7", 132 lbs, and wear a size 6. Not sure what's up with you. Lol!
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7" 145lbs and can wear a size 6 but I like my size 8's so I can wear a belt and have room. :)
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 7" 155 and I wear an 8...not sure if this helps
  • reasonablyvain
    Options
    where do you shop?
  • lacotter
    Options
    If you were an elite gymnast, you probably have much more muscle mass than other people - muscle weighs more than fat.
    For example, my sister -in-law and I are the same height, she weighs 15lbs more than me but you would never consider her over weight, we actually wear the same size, but she has HUGE leg muscles and is just a more muscular person than me in general. So the extra pounds come from her muscles, not fat. Therefore, she still looks slim and can fit into a small size, just like you.

Hope that helps.
  • nkster781
    nkster781 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    It may be where you wear your extra weight and how much of your weight is muscle from your gymnastic days.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and I weigh 171.5 right now. I'm wearing a size 12. At 163 I might be in a size 10, though I was in a 10 when I weighed about 140. Basically, you can't judge anything by the number in your pants. Each brand/designer is slightly different and things change a lot from year to year.
  • kalebsmama07
    Options
    im 5'4 145 rite now at a 11/12 in pants...11 in a dress....my goal being 140.... mabe 135 ish...
  • nkster781
    nkster781 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I heard a size 10 years ago is now a size 8.
  • MaryDreamer
    Options
    I'm 5'6", 169# and wear a 10. It also depends on where you buy your clothes. There is this thing called "vanity sizing" that some stores have. They have false sizes on their clothes. These are usually very expensive stores. You can research vanity sizing online.
  • queenmedusa
    queenmedusa Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    My dance teacher is about the same height as me but a lot bigger around the middle. She says she needs to lose another 10lbs to get to a healthy BMI, which means she's currently 3lbs heavier than me. She certainly looks more than 3lbs heavier than me! Think we just all have quirks in our bodies to make us different sizes at the same weights.

I'd love to be a size 6 btw. Have just worked out that I'm an American size 14 - and I'm 5ft 7 and 165lbs!
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    It is about fat distribution. Some people gain more of their fat around the abdomen or waist, while others gain it other places, like thighs, buttocks, arms, back...you can gain fat literally ANYWHERE.

I gain the most of my fat around my upper abdomen, back and my arms. So even though I am 5'3" and weigh 179 lbs, I only wear a size 13/14.

Just think in terms of distribution. So remember, when YOU are working out, maybe you need to work your arms and legs more than your middle!
  • MightyMom4
    Options
    i am 5'5" and weigh 176..i wear a 12/14 as well!! man...lucky!!! :)

Same here....I wish I could fit in an 8! Bone density maybe????
  • hardlyreal
    hardlyreal Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It could be that you have a more muscular upper body while having a smaller waist. So you probably have way more muscles than others, which would explain the higher weight with the smaller size. It's all about how your muscles are distributed from being a gymnast...mostly in your upper torso and thighs.

Edited to add: My sister is kind of in the same boat as you. At 150/155, she's a size 6/8 too. She has super broad shoulders from years of swimming, and muscular thighs from years of running. The lowest she ever went was 120, and she was a size 2 then. We just come from a family of broad shoulders and big (muscular, Germanic) thighs too.
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 2" and when I used to weigh 160 I was in a size 10. Now (many years and 2 babies later) I am 150 and I wear a size 12. That's mostly because all my weight was in my legs and butt,and now it's all in my mommy belly. :(