Advice on a Selfish Question

Options

Replies

• IMDABOMBthe0wife0DABEAST
    Options
    Treating yourself to a makeover is not selfish at all. You deserve to treat yourself once in a while. This will give you a boost in confidence and help you make the best of your College years. I can totally understand how you feel. I was a bit of a wall flower during college myself. If you can afford the changes, then take the plunge. Work with your hair salon so that you do not have significant costs down the road to maintain your new look.
  • mistyb47711
    mistyb47711 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say its not selfish to work on yourself. I sometimes feel guilty when I go get my hair colored or buy a shirt, but that is just the giving nature is some of us. I think if you have the extra go for it. I also believe your changes that you are making will build your self confidence when you see the results. Soooooo GO GET YOUR HAIR DID GIRL!! :flowerforyou:
  • manymuses
    manymuses Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Invest in yourself NOW. Mind, body and soul. Don't put off your life for some later date.

A box of haircolor or a highlight kit costs as little as ten bucks at the store. I went from mousy brown to blonde bombshell back in college and it did a lot to boost my self-esteem. But it is true that beauty is only skin deep. Work on yourself from the inside out- cultivate your emotional life, your intelligence, your strength and certainly your confidence will increase. Invest in yourself and it will pay huge dividends for your future. Your self-confidence will translate into interest from other people as well and suddenly you WILL be having the time of your life. But it starts from the inside.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    I think you should go for it, if you feel it is too expensive then you could go to a school and have it done. We want pics of your before and after makeocer
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    honey this isn't selfish at all. Women everyday do this all around us---some do it when I don't think they should--like when I know they don't have to dimes to rub together. But if you can afford, you need to do it!!!

Do remember this though, once you color that hair and get highlights, you will need to maintain it, and that will be an added expense every 6-8 weeks, unless you just don't care and let it grow out.
  • snockers3112
    snockers3112 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely NOTHING WRONG with wanting to look your best - life is too short to say 'I'll wait until..'.or 'once I've....' - why wait? Every woman knows that you always feel a million dollars when you have just been pampered at the hairdressers...and makeup isn't that expensive, go buy some and put some on - look your best every day. You only have one life...go out there and enjoy it xx
  • audcake
    audcake Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Fitnesspirateninja is right! I got my hair and makeup done for prom at a beauty school by students who were happy just to have the practice! If you feel too guilty about the price, it might be a good idea. It's always important to feel good about yourself, no matter what stage you're at in your weight loss. I don't think it is selfish to spend a little money on yourself every once in a while. I suggest that you buy a little bit of makeup from your local CVS or whatever and play with it until you have a practical application for feeling beautiful every day. Maybe get a new haircut, or get your nails done. You don't have to go crazy with it- that way you'll have enough for a makeover later on. Just do one little thing for yourself every so often so you can feel good about yourself as you reach your ideal body. Then once you've met your goals, reward yourself with a big makeover!

I haven't reached my goal yet. I'm actually no where near it! But just to give myself a confidence boost, I bought some nice makeup and wear a little every day when I go out! It sounds like you're at a new stage in your life and you want to experience some new things. Having the extra confidence will definitely help you to step out of your old routine and have some fun!
  • lenwie
    lenwie Posts: 240
    Options
    GO FOR IT, it is in no way selfish, live for today, if it helps you gain that bit of self confidence that you need then head straight for the hairdressers, there is some really good value make-up on the market too, like in the supermarkets.

Like some other folk have said go to a local cosmetology school or ask the hairdresser if their needing hair models. You could have a good cut and colour and then invest in re-usable clip in extensions.
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I think it would give you a real boost, probably just what you need to keep you headed towards your goal of self improvement!!!

And take a before and after so we can all see!!
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    So I am going to be honest with you... The more you think about how low your self confidence the lower it is going to be. Remember all those surveys in highschool you had to answer that went a little bit like "whats your best quality, describe yourself in three words, what do people love about you." I bet you had a hard time answering them. Well so did I, so I feel for you. One day I asked myself, why do I have a hard time liking myself? why can I not point out the positives? So I started pointing out the positives. I wrote lists. I looked myself in the mirror and commented to myself about all the positives (NOT THE NEGATIVES) I got myself out of the habit of critiquing myself. Some times you have to fake it until you believe it. and I suggest you start doing that now. If you decide to have kids, the negative attitude will only hurt them. it will also hurt any future relationships you have. Men love a confident woman. Not someone who hates themselves. You have great qualities, and special abilities that other people don't have. We all do, we are all unique, start searching for those talents.

you said you have become healthier because of MFP, you have lost weight but you "still have a long way to go" don't focus on what you have to do. Focus on the good you have accomplished. You will get there. A healthy life is a slow process.

As far as beauty supplies goes. I would say its a must. You may find that you really love the person you are with a little make up. If you notice in the animal species around us, the female species are always a little more plain than the males, its so they can hide and blend in and protect their children. lol so its only natural that we are more plain than our male counter parts. there is a reason men don't wear make up and there is a reason they get better looking with age. So makeup very well may boos your self confidence.

as far as your hair goes, I would go to a salon and get a color change. Pick something close to your color, but a little more vibrant. maybe a shade or two lighter or a shade or two darker.

Hair extensions, after you have had your hair colored get hair extensions (only if you really really want them ) but don't go to a salon, the upkeep for permanent extensions is OUTRAGEOUS! go to sally's and buy the REAL HAIR clip in extensions they are about 70 dollars, you can take them to a salon they will layer them in with your real hair. They look so natural you will be impressed. you can curl them and they stay curled until you wash them and they stay straight until you curl them. They are FANTASTIC!

Makeup.... If you want to wear makeup, and never have, go to a makeup counter and have them do your makeup explaining how and why you use such products. that will help you. and then just buy a few basics, if your skin is clear skip the foundation, do a loose top powder, and blush, if you have dark eyelashes skip the mascara, buy a few colors that look good on your eyes and a shiny pretty lipgloss.

you dont' have to go all out. and you don't have to do it expensive.

But in all honesty... your self confidence depends upon your attitude. So change it GIRL! its a beautiful world and you have wonderful opportunities to try all sorts of new things.
  • Lantern823
    Options
    i say 100 % do it. the way i see it you've been workin your butt off so you desreve to flaunt it girl! i know me and when i see how my hard work paid off it makes me want more results maybe that will happen for you too..good luck :)
  • pammbroo
    pammbroo Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Part of the weight loss journey (in my humble opinion) is learning how to make yourself a priority. Finding your self confidence will improve EVERY aspect of your life, not to mention bring you joy that you never knew existed. It would be a shame to let these years go by and not enjoy them. You can't get them back. One of my favorite thoughts is that you can't wait to start your life until you reach your weight loss goals (some of us would NEVER start living!). Start your life now and be the best that you can be while accomplishing your goals.

I love the cosmetology school idea. It's not just about buying makeup, but learning how to apply it so it accents your best features. More is not better in most cases so you may be able to find a few less expensive products that work well. Same with the hair. I'm sure they would have lots of great suggestions for you.

I say make the splurge and go for it. Like the commercials say, YOU"RE WORTH IT!!
  • karilynn27
    karilynn27 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    this is not selfish at all,
    and spoiling yourself and making your body and features look fab is not as expensive as you may think.
    Start a small "me" fund and save up. I woulnt go all crazy with extentions but I would invest in some great makeup like Clinique.
    Also, manis and pedis are affordable if you dont over do it.
    Color your hair with a different shade and invest in some inexpensive volumizing products. You can do all of these services and feel amazing about yourself if you shop around at the right places and network yourself into finding people that will offer these services for a cheaper price while still getting good services. Give it a try, it will boost your confidence and make you feel wonderful, its just alll about being smart about it.
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Do it!
  • signerh
    signerh Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great idea :)
    You're doing it for you. And if you have the money for it... I mean, I'm a student to and living on a somewhat tight budget, so it doesn't happen often, but when I find the money for it I love to go to a hairdresser. Because it gives you a self-confidence-boost when your hair looks great and you don't feel mousy. Plus it's nice to be pampered :)

That's just my opinion...
  • envymesalon
    envymesalon Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It is absolutely not selfish! It can be great motivation to keep on the right track.
    If you feel guilty then make it a reward for hitting your next small goal.
    If this isnt turning out to be the best time of your life, MAKE it the best time of your life (so far). Oh, and dont worry so much about this. There is so much more good things to come for you. Every day celebrate the little things in your life that you are thankful for. Out in the "real world" there are situations around every corner ready to knock you down. If you arent going to pump yourself up, who will? If you have the money there is nothing stopping you.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    There is NOTHING selfish about doing this for yourself. The only way I could see this being selfish is if you were a single mother of 8 kids, they were starving literally to death and you took the last of your baby bonus to buy yourself hair extensions & makeup before feeding them. THEN it would be selfish :)

Doing something for yourself and when you have the means to do it, WHY NOT! It's probably the best thing you could do for yourself right now. You NEED THIS!! Even if you wanted to start out small and just get the highlights first. You can get pretty cheap makeup online (that's really great) or at shoppers drug mart.

DO THIS FOR YOURSELF!!!! You deserve to feel beautiful
  • rockabyesarojane
    Options
    absolutely worth the way you'll feel walking around looking and feeling sassy.

i got my first real hair salon experience when i was 19 and as long as i have the funds i will never stop. you spend too much time with yourself not to enjoy your own company!
  • capturethemoments3
    Options
    If pampering yourself with a mini makeover is going to boost your self confidence and make you feel better about yourself, then by all means do it! Self confidence is a huge part of a happy life.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Selfish, No. Just go and do it. If funds are tight just go and get a few foils in the front of your hair, that won't cost a lot. You deserve to pamper yourself occassionaly