giving up sugar

Options
Hi, So I have started to try and eat a bit more cleaner and today is my first day with no sugar in my tea or on my porridge ( I did use a dab of maple syrup on my oats though) I am SO hungry! that must be like maybe 3 teaspoons I have missed already and no milk in my tea, It's only morning tea time. I have already had a snack of grapes and carrots, Is this normal? because I have just given it up or am I really hungry, I havn't even done anything yet, as in exercise.
Thanks for any advice much appreciated.:flowerforyou:

Replies

• RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I took a peek at your diary. Maybe try having some more protien in the morning. I always try to have a hard boiled egg or some string cheese in addition to my oatmeal. That seems to curb my hunger until morning snack time.
  • coxy1968
    Options
    I have 40g of porridge oats which seems to keep me going until lunchtime.
  • cassie_jsl
    cassie_jsl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i'm really struggling with sugar. I've had to cut tea all together. I'm allergic to sweetners and so i'm struggling to find a replacement for my tea with two sugars!
  • susioryan
    Options
    I gave up sugar when I first joined MFP because I found that I could not stop when I start. Lately it has snuck back in (chocolate truffle and a birthday cake) but I am back to no sugar again. It took several weeks to shake the hungry feeling when I first started but I found fruit helped a lot (prunes actually are really sweet and have added benefits). Into my foray with sugar again I found that I was headachy and tired afterwards so it definitely has a drug like quality. Keep at it and you will find you have amazing energy. Good luck.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I just started last week. I met with a nutritionist who is having me keep a food diary...this(myfitnesspal) seemed easy to work with. I quickly realized that sugar calories are the culprit. I switched from honey in my tea to stevia. Stevia is a natural sweetner from leaves of a plant compared to chemicals in splenda, aspartame and saccharin.

She also gave me an article to read titled "Sugars promote cellular aging"....yikes. I started to add the stevia to my oatmeal too.
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    1 serving of Steel Cut Oats or Quick Oats with walnuts, maple syrup, apple, & cinnamon lasts me for 2.5 hours.
  • moricles
    Options
    I have 3 egg whites and 1 slice of Sara Lee 45 calorie toast for breakfast. I sometimes add 2 Tbsp. of salsa to the eggs, or green peppers and onions --yum! Protein helps keep me from getting hungry. But snacks are ok as long as you are careful what you have. I always have a snack in the morning and another in the afternoon, usually 1/4 cup of almonds and 1/4 cup of blueberies each time, or baby carrots. I just started this month and so far I have lost 7 pounds and I'm usually under the allotment of sugar. I added sugar to my food diary chart so I could track it because I am trying to keep from being diabetic!
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I personally, wouldn't worry too much about sugar, unless you have diabetes running in your family. There is sugar in almost EVERYTHING! If you cut out sugar, you'll have to cut out fruits, which isn't good. I would try to eat more in moderation. Sugar, in excess, will turn to fat. Also, most processed sugars are high in calories. You could try a sweetner like Splenda. I switched to that in my coffee in the mornings and have cut out about 100 calories a day just by that.

Good luck!
  • hotmooglelove
    Options
    When I gave up my can a day of regular soda, I was surprised to find myself absent mindedly drinking 6-7 cans of diet coke a day. I must have been compulsively attempting to get a sugar fix. Our bodies aren't dumb, they know when something's changed, so your hunger is normal Im sure.

If it helps, if you are going to have a little simple sugar, the morning is the best time to do it.
  • smelmel
    smelmel Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the advice and ideas:flowerforyou:
    I think I will wait it out a few days and see if I'm still the same and maybe add a boiled egg as a snack or some almonds as everyone seems to think that protein works better, fingers crosssed I'm hoping, I just can't believe how sugar has affected my body. I have energy but SO hungry.
    Thanks again
  • Laurahr
    Options
    I feel so much better now that I am off the sugar! It was my weekness and now that I have conquered it, I find that I am not near as hungry as I used to be. I replaced it with high protein foods that tend to stick with you for a while. It took about 3 full weeks to get over it. As a consequence, I also haven't had any fast food at all, which was really convenient with my job. I feel more upbeat too!
  • bubblybabeuk
    bubblybabeuk Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Hi

I used to have the same problem until I increased my breakfast, I now eat 60g porridge oats with the berries and I can go for four hours wthout needing anything else. It was a real struggle at first to shovel down that much breakfast but now I look forward to it!

Good luck
    Mandy xx
  • eatrunstretch
    eatrunstretch Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I decided to give up sugar when I decided I was going to do this seriously. I found it really hard as I drink a lot of tea and coffee and take two sugars in each! I decided to start replacing it with splenda. As I don't like the taste of splenda, I tend to use just half a sachet and am working on decreasing this as I go. I had a coffee with real sugar in it the other day as I was visiting at someone's house and was amazed to find that I did not like the taste and did not want to drink it!!! And I felt a little sick afterwards so I'm pretty sure I'm safe from sugar from now on! Just keep at it and you'll feel good!

Good luck to you! We're all in this together :)

3915411.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter