help me to beat night time eating

Options
Every morning I am restarting. I do great until evening time. When my kid goes to bed, I am feeling so overwhelmed and start eating. I eat a lot for 2 hours then regret starts. I do not know how to break this cycle. If I can hold myself for couple of nights, I think I can go on. I am feeling desperate. I really want to lose some weight and become healthy. I need your help.

Replies

• HawkeyeGuy
    Options
    Add me and give me access to your food diary. We'll get you figured out. We'll change when and what you're eating to keep you satisfied at the right times. Message me after you add me and we'll work on it.
  • kcampbell453
    kcampbell453 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I was exactly the same way for a long time. My kids go to bed at 8:30 every night and after I got them into bed I wanted to snack, and then I would feel bad for what I was doing. I've gotten to the point now that if I'm done doing stuff around the house after they go to sleep, I either try to find a good exercise video online for free, or I read a book. There is a book that I have been reading that has been really helpful in this journey, it has made me think about what I'm doing before I step in front of the fridge or snack shelf, it's called Made To Crave. Just a suggestion, keep trying, it will stick here soon!!
  • dracobaby82
    dracobaby82 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I used to have an issue with that as well... mainly when my hubby works at night, the kids go to bed and I eat... well what helps me is to instead of eating, and since the kids are in bed I put in an exercise dvd or play the Xbox Kinect... exercise till the end of the video, drink lots of water! Then if you still feel you need something, eat just a little.... hope this helps, it does me :)
  • richiefixo
    richiefixo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Drink a huge batch of te and chew gum! it should spoil ur taste buds and anything you eat wont taste the same. my trick
  • UneJolieFemme
    UneJolieFemme Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Same here. Especially lately, my daughter is teething and it's not easy on anyone. Every night when she fall asleep it feels like a victory and I tend to seek comfort in food... so what I do is I don't keep any 'bad' food in the pantries. Only fresh fruits and veggies to snack on... *sigh*
  • shushka136
    shushka136 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Two things have worked for me in the past.

#1- When you start heading for the kitchen, grab a pen and paper and write down all the reason why you shouldn't go on an eating rampage.

#2- Set a 20min timer and do something to keep yourself busy during that time (read, write, cook, clean, etc.) by the time that timer runs out, the craving should go away. If it doesn't I gulp down a big glass of water and set another timer.

Try it, hope it works.
  • kelhun1
    kelhun1 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Are you bored? Lonely? Stressed? Starving? Sometimes if you can pinpoint the reason it's easier to get the right fix. Sometimes I genuinely feel hungry, so I leave a couple hundred calories to eat after dinner. But, I usually drink a big mug of tea first. (I really like the Yogi teas. They have some good ones for dieting....nothing too strong, but it seems to help take the edge off my hunger) I really like Healthy Choice's Fudge Bar. It's 100 calories, takes awhile to eat and has 5 grams of fiber to help fill me up. Sometimes if I'm just bored, I'll call a friend. I can't stand chewing in someone's ear, so as long as I'm on the phone there's nothing in my mouth. If I'm stressed I try to do a craft (that would be ruined by getting food on it)...scrapbooking, crochet, etc.. OR...if I really can't keep food out of my mouth, I will put whitening strips on my teeth. Then, I'm doing something nice for my appearance AND I can't eat for an hour. I hope one of these helps. Feel free to add me as a friend if you need late night support...I'm always up!
  • SolidGoaled
    SolidGoaled Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I have the same trouble you do - my night time eating is the main reason I weighed 245 when I said enough is enough. In fact, I could give a rat's fat *kitten* about food until about 5 o'clock - then the binging and emotional eating would start. All the stress of my day would compile, the kids and hubby would all come home from school work, and there I'd be - smoking my crack. (I mean to say, that the eating was my addiction)

Anyways - I've been steadily improving this for the past few weeks and one thing I do now is cut off at at 7:30 pm. No exceptions. I take my laptop to bed with me, and I hang around on MFP until I get tired and then I read a good book until I fall asleep. You have to decide to put on your fighting gloves at night and fight with all your might against the urge to eat at that time. And make sure you are eating plenty during the day. Find your target cals for the day and divide it by 5 and try eating 5 times a day - last "meal" at 7:30... see how it goes for one week.
  • CelesteENelson
    CelesteENelson Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I eat crushed ice. It satisfies the eating sensation and it has no calories :D not to mention its good for you. I hope this helps.
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    I have the same trouble you do - my night time eating is the main reason I weighed 245 when I said enough is enough. In fact, I could give a rat's fat *kitten* about food until about 5 o'clock - then the binging and emotional eating would start. All the stress of my day would compile, the kids and hubby would all come home from school work, and there I'd be - smoking my crack. (I mean to say, that the eating was my addiction)

Anyways - I've been steadily improving this for the past few weeks and one thing I do now is cut off at at 7:30 pm. No exceptions. I take my laptop to bed with me, and I hang around on MFP until I get tired and then I read a good book until I fall asleep. You have to decide to put on your fighting gloves at night and fight with all your might against the urge to eat at that time. And make sure you are eating plenty during the day. Find your target cals for the day and divide it by 5 and try eating 5 times a day - last "meal" at 7:30... see how it goes for one week.

I like the way you think.

OP, maybe you could make popcorn - it totally fills you up too.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I've been trying to eat dinner around 6:00. If I get enough to eat during the day, I'm less likely to binge at night. I come home from work, eat dinner, work out, shower, and settle into bed around 9:00. I don't go to sleep that early but I read or watch tv until I'm ready for sleep. This schedule seems to keep me from wanting to snack. If I happen to be just starving before I fall asleep, I'll have a piece of lunchmeat (35 calories) and a bottle of water. This is enough to tide me over until breakfast.
  • aysegul2
    Options
    I tried some of the things suggested. They seemed to work yesterday night. Hopefully I will do these consistently. It felt like a victory before I go to bed :),
  • BrandNewMia
    Options
    You did get some great advice, and how great that you put it to the test and it's working!!! I hope your progress continues, you are doing great, just keep with it :)

It's all about changing our habits. I was used to night time binging, too, and I just had to redirect my attention (and stay out of the kitchen). Replace unhealthy habits with good habits - way to go!