Shin splints? Please help!

Options
I have what I think are shin splints...it's a pain more in my calves. Along the side of my bone where it connects to the muscle. Very painful during and after a workout and basically all day. I'm doing high impact stuff -two Jillian Michaels DVDs a day. I'm getting plenty of water and trying to up the potassium. Had ankle issue before. Should I wear ankle wraps? Get new shoes? Any suggestions appreciated! I'm letting my body rest every now and then too. Thanks!

Replies

• bahlee
    bahlee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had shin splints a while ago. I walked on the treadmill and found the speed I could tolerate without pain and then just upped the incline to give me aerobic benefits. I did not do any other exercises while I had this problem. Perhaps you need to do lower impact exercises or just the treadmill. New shoes may help as well.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Someone posted a long time ago on here to hold your legs together and draw your ABC's to alleviate your ailment, it stuck with me cause it sounded weird but I never tried it.
  • CM2010
    Options
    I've had these many many times from running, I feel your pain! I'd suggest new shoes, that is what absolutely works for me. I get them when I've added too many miles in one week or when my shoes are getting worn out (every 8-12 months or so). Ice, rest, stretch too :)
  • Dobsaya
    Dobsaya Posts: 235
    Options
    Asics 2160. Excellent support. Often shin splints come from overpronation in women and the asics correct the gait.
  • Bobbie145
    Bobbie145 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    When I get shin splints, it usually means I need new shoes. I'll get the new shoes, and the problem goes away. Good luck! I hope that's all it is since that's an easy solution.
  • LittleD311
    LittleD311 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I get shin splints here and there. Today I did x stretch for p90x, and he did a stretch to help with getting rid of shin splints! They are called "toe flexor" here's how, " while standing, straighten right leg at comfortable height, point and flex foot 8 times, then circle foot inward 8 times, then outward 8 times" and then repeat on the other leg. It felt great! I have a basic pair of new blanaces and they are great!
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    See a podiatrist! They'll measure how far your feet are pronating and make custom inserts for your sports shoes.
  • binabodu
    binabodu Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I had what sounds like the very same pain when I did Jillian Michael's 30 DS Level 2. I don't know what it was but it had me in tears after 20 minutes. I pushed through it but did stretching for shin splints although it wasn't in my shin. The ABC's suggested above really did help along with pointing and retracting my toes and ankle circles. For some reason after Level 2 they stopped.
  • crozierb
    crozierb Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I agree, the Asics 2160s are great shoes for support! But just make sure they're right for your feet before buying. I actually got horrible shin splints from the wrong shoes, not old ones. These were, however, my first and last Saucony's when I always get Asics :).

Trainers had me ICE ICE ICE whenever you possibly can, and an ice bath is really the best way treatment. 50-55 degrees for about 10 min, 2x per day if you can.
    If you can take a few days of lower impact workouts like biking or swimming, definitely do that too... hope this helps!
  • yalisa0424
    yalisa0424 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a place like fleet feet. They actually have you run on a treadmill and video tape you. They then slow it down to see how you run (inverted run, on your toes, etc.). From there, they can help you out and recommend shoes for you. I know people who have done it and swear by it.
  • eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    to treat it get the little paper bathroom cups, fill them 1/2-2/3 full and then freeze them. Once their frozen tear the cup off down to where the ice is exposed and then massage your shins with them. That's how the trainers had us treat them when I got them in college.