HRM vs Treadmill vs MFP

Help! ... I am so confused... Everyone said to go out and get a HRM for most accurate calories burned... but now I'm worried...

I did 25 minutes on the treadmill doing intervals of 30 seconds running and 2 minutes walking

I have a New Balance N4 Heart Rate Monitor with Chest Strap, set to my setttings of Height, Weight, Age etc.

My HRM says: 338 calories

The Treadmill said 162 calories

and MFP says 198

So which one do I use? ... I mean everyone said that the HRM would be most accurate, but I don't want to over eat and it not work out... And if the HRM is not most accurate then why the heck did I buy one?! LOL

Replies

• I am in the same boat, except my HRM said way less than the treadmill and MFP....confused as well
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,308 Member
    Believe the Heart Rate Monitor. It is actually measuring you. The treadmill and MFP are just using general estimates that have nothing to do with how your heart rate was effected by your workout. Especially with Intervals, it will be higher.
  • I am having the same issue but on the other end...my HRM gives me way low calorie burns regardless of what I do...I am actually getting ready to send it back.
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    I had the opposite problem.

My elliptical machine guestimated my calorie burn at 930 calories (45 minutes avg. resistance 5-6, 65-75 RPMs).

My Polar FT7 measured the burned calories at 788.

MFP was around 665 (I never trust the MFP exercise portion of the website).

I decided to trust the HRM and I have been maintaining my weight loss goal progress of around 1.8 pounds per week.

Maybe trust in the HRM and see what your results are. If you gain, or hit a plateau, revisit.

The machine/MFP guestimates seem awfully low, especially if you are doing 30 second sprints.
  • Lizzie08
    Lizzie08 Posts: 15 Member
    How to Estimate Calories Burned by Heart Rate

Overview
    Using your average heart rate during an exercise session, you can estimate the calories that you expend during exercise. This is possible because your heart rate is related to your calorie expenditure rate. This calculation will be most accurate when your heart rate is between 90 and 150 beats per minute (bpm). The equation used to calculate calories burned also requires weight, gender and duration of the exercise session.

Step 1
    Weigh yourself on a scale. Ensure you measure your weight in pounds.

Step 2
    Wear your heart monitor while you exercise, but wait until your heart rate gets above 90 bpm before recording it. Keep your heart rate between 90 and 150 bpm by slowing down or speeding up as necessary. Complete your exercise session and stop recording your heart rate before it drops below 90 bpm.

Step 3
    For males, estimate the calories that you burned during your exercise session. This is given by the equation C = (0.6309 x H + 0.09036 x W + 0.2017 x A -- 55.0969) x T / 4.184. C is the number of calories that you burned, H is your average heart rate, W is your weight, A is your age and T is the length of your exercise session in minutes.

Step 4
    For females, derive the calories that you burned. This is given by the equation C = (0.4472 x H -- 0.05741 x W + 0.074 x A -- 20.4022) x T / 4.184. Assume that you're a 28-year-old female weighing 146 pounds. Your average heart rate during an exercise session that lasted 36 minutes was 138 bpm. You burned C = (0.4472 x 138 -- 0.05741 x 146 + 0.074 x 28 -- 20.4022) x 36 / 4.184 = 301 calories.

You can estimate your heart rate without a heart monitor. Place your index finger against the side of your neck to feel the pulse in your carotid artery. Count the number of pulses that you feel in 6 seconds and multiply this value by 10. This will provide an estimate of the number of times your heart is beating in a minute.

Calculator References
    Braydenwm.com: Calories and Power as a Function of Heart Rate
    Journal of Sports Sciences: Prediction of Energy Expenditure
    Mayo Clinic: Calories Burned in 1 Hour

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/78365-estimate-calories-burned-heart-rate/#ixzz1E5gvhqz4