sports drinks & protein shakes - be careful what you buy

Options
Normally I'm quite organised and take my own protein to the gym with me. I get Dymatize ISO 100 - it's protein isolate and has no other rubbish in it... no carbs, no sugar etc. it's only 120 calories or so.

This morning I forgot. I did a heavy legs session, realised I hadn't packed my protein and bought a protein drink out of the gym's cooling machine. After I drank half of it I had a look at the ingredients of "Lucozade Sport Pro Muscle".... and shock / horror....

61 grammes of sugar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 385 calories!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm now at work and still high as a kite from all that sugar....

I never use isotonic drinks for workouts of 45 mins and below, I only use water. I use isotonic for long runs or just some jelly babies.

But when I see women drink sports drinks during "Legs Bums & Tums" classes and the like, and subsequently guzzle a bottle of Lucozade protein afterwards, it's easy to have consumed TWICE the calories than you've actually burned.

So only consume the stuff if your training justifies it, and if you need to use it make sure you know what's in it....

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I hate to see people do a killer workout, the snark down a 450 cal power bar, and a 350 cal shake. What a shame.

Though, my shakes are 450 cals, but I need that much.

Great point anyway.
  • WhiteStar2351
    Options
    Ditto - its horrific what they put in these things (and then say 'specially formulated to get you the best results'!?). Even the isotonic drinks aren't great - if you're doing a long run then only ever use a drink that has less then 8g of carbs per 100ml, any higher then this number and the stomach treats it the same as a solid food and it'll sit in your stomach for a while! The easiest (and cheapest) thing to do is to mix unprocessed Orange Juice with water 50:50 and add a little salt - this is what we always advise athletes to take as isotonic drinks are essentially the same thing with a few fancy patented chemicals added to push the price up.

On another note - slim fast?! Have you seen what they put in it!? Somebody told me they were following the diet and had lost no weight, I had a look at the bottle the shakes were in and the carb content is about 90% sugar!
  • jdelana
    Options
    What type of jelly babies are you talking about backinthenines? I am training for a long bike event and working out a lot more. I knew someone that had these jelly beans that were suppose to help with energy and tasted REALLY good. I can not find them. I was wondering if we were talking about the same thing?
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    LOL I just replied via the message you sent too, but in case anyone else was wondering.

Do you mean these: www.sportbeans.co.uk
  • backinthenines
    Options
    The easiest (and cheapest) thing to do is to mix unprocessed Orange Juice with water 50:50 and add a little salt - this is what we always advise athletes to take as isotonic drinks are essentially the same thing with a few fancy patented chemicals added to push the price up.

Yes I normally mix my own!!

LOL I was a bit enthusiastic on the salt once when I went for a long bike ride... Schoolgirl error - I hadn't tasted it before I left... 5 miles in a took a sip... :sick: :sick: :sick:

All part of the experience... :laugh:
  • loushep
    loushep Posts: 191
    Options
    Normally I'm quite organised and take my own protein to the gym with me. I get Dymatize ISO 100 - it's protein isolate and has no other rubbish in it... no carbs, no sugar etc. it's only 120 calories or so.

This morning I forgot. I did a heavy legs session, realised I hadn't packed my protein and bought a protein drink

I just did a run on my treadmill and my legs felt like lead weights all the way through, would a protein drink have helped?
  • WhiteStar2351
    Options
    I just did a run on my treadmill and my legs felt like lead weights all the way through, would a protein drink have helped?

Nope - if your legs feel like lead its caused by a build up of lactic acid. I haven't flicked through your diary but there's several reasons for this:

1) If you're not eating enough - specifically you're not eating enough carbohydrates. Your body requires carbohydrates to give you energy, if you're not eating enough then you'll hit the lactate threshold a lot quicker then you should do. Simple solution - up your carbs and eat a sensible amount.

2) If you're new to running/cardio exercise. If this is the case then you have to gradually increase your lactate threshold with regular, consistent exercise - it won't happen overnight!

3) If you're currently overweight and you're placing your body under too much stress. Wanting to run isn't the same as physically being able to do it - if you are overweight/inexperienced in running then start off slowly and gradually increase the speed / length of time you train at by a little each week. Too much, too soon = injury.
  • loushep
    Options
    Thanks, numbers 2 & 3 definitely apply to me. I'll look into number 1 but i think on average i do eat enough carbs.
  • backinthenines
    Options
    Hi Lou,

ditto what's been said. I'd also add that the right running shoe for your gait can also make a big difference in how your legs can feel after a run. Have you got good dunning shoes that you know are right for your feet and running style, i.e. something from a decent running shop where someone advised you right? :flowerforyou:

Being a bit bigger doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't run at all. It just means stuff like good shoes is even more important as your experience more impact. :smile:
  • loushep
    Options
    Hi, unfortunately the shoes i have are not proper running shoes and are a little uncomfortable (pinch my toes). I can't afford to get myself the right type of shoes at the moment but that is something i plan on doing as soon as i have enough saved. Are there any particular brands or styles that you would recommend?
  • jammyone
    Options
    The protein shake you're talking about is for bodybuilders and people who want to build muscle mass. It contains that much sugar to cause an insulin spike.

If I have a bulk shake, it usually consists of whey protein, maltodextrin and dextrose. 30% protein and 70% sugar, coming in at a whopping 650 calories.

It's not all about calorie counting you know.
  • backinthenines
    Options
    Hi, unfortunately the shoes i have are not proper running shoes and are a little uncomfortable (pinch my toes). I can't afford to get myself the right type of shoes at the moment but that is something i plan on doing as soon as i have enough saved. Are there any particular brands or styles that you would recommend?

A shoe first and foremost needs to:
    - fit (both in length and forefoot width), most people buy a size up from normal shoes
    - be suitable to your gait & stability needs i.e. whether you pronate, supinate etc
    - suitable to your running style (heel strikers, forefoot runners etc)
    - suitable to your preferred running surface (road shoes, trail shoes, cross country shoes, fell shoes)

A staff member in a reputable running shop will probably watch you run on a treadmill and make you try different shoes and film you while you run. As a result of that assessment they will recommend you a chosen shoe.

All proper running brands like Asics, Mizuno, Saucony etc etc all make high quality running shoes. The style you need will depend on the outcome of your assessment.

regarding not being able to afford a good shoe right now... it'll still be cheaper than sessions with a physio at £50 a time once you're injured!
  • loushep
    Options
    Thanks, backinthenines. I am going to use google to see if i can find a running shop, i have never encountered a sports store with this type of facility (assessing my running style and needs).

Of course we have sports shops that sell all types of sports equipment and clothing but even in the 'proper' sports stores when i've asked about running shoes i have just been pointed in the direction of the running shoes display.

I looked on your profile but it doesn't say where you live. If you live in England, where do you go for your sports needs? Is it a chain that i would be able to find somewhere near to me?
  • backinthenines
    Options
    It's not all about calorie counting you know.

Thank you for your patronising response. I give you the benefit of the doubt that it was not intended to sound the way it came across.

Having discussed the particular product at the gym with our group of competition standard lifters, they funnily enough all agreed with me that Lucozade have always produced mass-market junk and always will, which is why most of them purchase more reputable brands (Boditronics, Dymatize, Maximuscle, Nutrisport etc etc... subject to preference), rather than the rubbish that's sold to the masses in the fridges.
  • backinthenines
    Options
    I looked on your profile but it doesn't say where you live. If you live in England, where do you go for your sports needs? Is it a chain that i would be able to find somewhere near to me?

Hi there,

*points at Southern Softie signature* My running shops are probably a little out of the way for you.

My other half lives in Cheshire though, so I know a few around wider Greater Manchester area.

Mail me via the site and I'll see what I can find in your area. :flowerforyou:
  • jammyone
    Options

Thank you for your patronising response. I give you the benefit of the doubt that it was not intended to sound the way it came across.

Having discussed the particular product at the gym with our group of competition standard lifters, they funnily enough all agreed with me that Lucozade have always produced mass-market junk and always will, which is why most of them purchase more reputable brands (Boditronics, Dymatize, Maximuscle, Nutrisport etc etc... subject to preference), rather than the rubbish that's sold to the masses in the fridges.

It was not supposed to sound patronising, I apoligise if it did.

I was simply making the point that not everyone wants to burn more calories than they are taking in. As I've said, a protein shake with sugar and high calories is extremely beneficial for body builders. Funnily enough, I agree with your point about Lucozade - there are far superior products out that which are eve cheaper.
  • WhiteStar2351
    Options
    As I've said, a protein shake with sugar and high calories is extremely beneficial for body builders.

Hate to say it but as a competing body builder, and a trainer of body builders - I totally disagree, sugar is never good for body builders. I encourage my guys to stick with fruit/white bread immediately after a training session for an insulin rush. The boost caused by maltodextrin/dextrose/maize starch, etc, etc is just too much for the body to handle unless you're a 280lb monster and need that level of simple carbs to trigger an adequate response. Carb intake should only ever reflect the level of activity to be undertaken until the next feed. A small insulin surge is fine and will do the job. Unless you're an afore mentioned behemoth or planning to do another 30-45 minutes of cardio immediately after your workout, simple carb intake needs to be kept low. I suffice with an apple or two post workout.
  • loushep
    Options

*points at Southern Softie signature*

LOL, i've always owned up to not being very observant :blushing:

Thanks for your help :flowerforyou: