I find it hard to jog.

Options
I'm working on running 5k for charity, and obviously to help me lose weight. However, I find it SO hard to jog. MUCH harder than running. 10kph is okay for me, but 8kph makes my legs cramp up. I can't really see myself running at 10kph for half an hour, though... Right?
What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Try a program called C25k (Couch 2 5k). It's a program to help people who aren't joggers get in shape to become joggers. Might be a good help for you.
  • adriangoddard
    Options
    I've never had a problem running, so hopefully this will help you::

When I wanted to get back into it, I would start off at a comfortable pace - not too fast - and not too slow. I found that if i was running to slow my legs would hurt - and I think its because it just felt unnatural. Try and find a pace that feels comfortable.

If 10km/h is comfy for you stick to it.... but when you get tired dont be afraid to stop and walk... get your breath back... then get back to a comfortable speed and keep going.... In no time you will find that you are able to go for longer and your comfy pace and do less walking.

Hope it helps :)
  • sabcooke
    sabcooke Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I use the jogging on the wii fit as a guide where no one sees me lol
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I run 5km at 10km per hour and for me its comfortable - actually - I'm happiest at about 10.6...

Everyone has their own natural pace - going above or below it feels really uncomfortable. If you cant do 30 mins at your natural pace, start with 20 and increase in 2 minute intervals - you will be at 30 mins in no time.
  • eshyay
    eshyay Posts: 18
    Options
    Thanks everyone - seems so obvious now to do something that feels comfortable rather than try and fit some perceived norm!