Subway? :)

Options
so do y'all find that subway is actually healthy for a diet or is it just more fast food?

Replies

• abtropix
    abtropix Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I find it as a really healthy option. Go for rye bread, turkey breast, load it with veggies and no dressing (I add avocado to mine to have a little healthy fat). I also avoid the chips and have tons of diet soda (not very healthy, but my only addiction!)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    It is just fast food, but better than most other options. Just watch what sub you buy, some have more fat than double burgers (Italian BMT and others) and the sodium is extremely high for all subs other than veggie.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I do love Subway as a relatively health option among fast food places. The tradeoff is the high sodium in the sandwiches. I stick to the ones that are under 400 calories (basically the classic sandwiches, not the chipotle whatever or seasonal ones), sometimes get cheese, and load up with veggies. Always whole wheat bread. It comes in around 400-450 calories. And I get apples and water. Just make sure you drink plenty of water that day to make up for the sodium.

I also like the salads from Chick Fil A. Decent on calories, the fruit and chicken one is delicious.
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    It is just fast food, but better than most other options. Just watch what sub you buy, some have more fat than double burgers (Italian BMT and others) and the sodium is extremely high for all subs other than veggie.

It's not really the meat that gets you on the sodium...its their breads, even their whole wheat ones.
  • Charrisse
    Options
    Its healthier fast food. But really it seems all rest food is pretty bad lol
    I get Subway several times a week, when Im working. I get a whole wheat 6 inch with all the veggies, no cheese and either low fat mayo or mustard.
    250 cal.
  • irishgal44
    irishgal44 Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great healthy option, although I am always thirsty afterwards - they must be full of sodium!
  • darla499
    darla499 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I go for the vegetarian, on honey oat bread. I buy a foot-long sub and eat half on one day and half the next day. I was pleasantly surprised that one half only had 350 calories in it!

I don't do it very often because of the bread, but when I have a yearning for fast food or comfort food, this is my choice.
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention, here is an excellent calculator to determine the nutritional information regarding the various subs and items there.

http://www.eddieoneverything.com/calculators/subway-sandwich-calorie-carb-nutrition-calculator.php.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    It is a better choice but sitll full of salt, fillers ect. But better then McDonalds ect. Your best choice is make your own sandwhich. Pack a lunch.
  • Caper88
    Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    It is better for you then a Big Mac meal at McDonalds but it still is not better then a meal you could make at home. It depends on what you buy. Remember they are processed meats full of salt. Some of the sauces can be pretty bad for you as well. So it can be a good option for you when eating out however do not get fooled into believing that everything on the menu is great for you. I suggest you go onto the website and take a look at the nutritional value of the subs first.
  • NMandaMarie
    NMandaMarie Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    My sandwich choice: Subway 6" Black Forest Ham on Wheat - W/ 1/2 the Provalone, Lettuce, XTomato, Onion, Green Pepper, Cucumber, Vinegar & Mustard. This comes to 330 cals.

Subway isn't bad and can be used as a good alternative to other fast food, but there is more sodium....
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    The subway turkey with veggies, cheese and a little ranch dressing has 375 calories and 735 mg of sodium. I have that regularly and find it to be a great healthy fast-food alternative :)
  • CandeesLand
    Options
    I always go for the veggie delight on wheat with sweet onion dressing, no cheese (seriously, you wont miss it) It's a filling and (relatively) healthy option.
    1111156.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • jillMoose
    jillMoose Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    i think its good for dieting, and the best fast food out there... BUT its not what i consider "healthy" -- read the ingredient on the website... kind of grossed me out. also the food contains high fructose corn syrup and partially hydrogenated oils....

that said.... im in a pinch and having subway tonight for dinner!! better than pizza for dieting, right?!
  • novatri
    novatri Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    It's relatively healthy I guess. I find the 6" Turkey very filling with not to many calories. Through Subway I discovered my taste for banana peppers.
  • healthydoseofglitter
    Options
    You have to know what to get ahead of time. Check out their website all their nutrition is on the site. I personally get just veggies on whole wheat. No Cheese, No Meat, No mayo or sauce. Just vinegar (no oil) and oregano and a bottle of water and no chips. I probably eat subway once a week because of my schedule but I feel that its better than a greasy hamburger or pizza.
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Like everyone already posted, it's a better fast food option, but it's still fast food. Stick with the lower calorie options like turkey and skip the mayo and cheese. Also, you can get any sandwich turned into a salad.
  • HuffHesitation
    Options
    Subway Is misleading in a sense. They have printed napkins that list half a dozen 6" subs with under 350 calories......that is until you read the fine print. Its only for certain meats on a multigrain roll without cheese and without this and that. You really have to read the fine print. After investigating what I have put on my 325 calorie sub, it suddenly turns into 575 for a 6" sub. I'm still saving on the fat portion of my meal but this 6" sub just turned into more calories than some of the burgers that the other joints serve. Not to mention that this is before you even add a drink and chips. I'm not trying to bash subway here but the way they market their sandwiches has some hidden truth behind it.
  • cmrich0511
    Options
    Subway can sucker you just like every other fast food place, but it has some much better options for fast food than, say, McDonald's. On the occasion when I do go, I usually get the Veggie Delight and load it down with everything. For a foot long with cheese & no dressing, I believe its under 500 calories. Even if I was starving enough to eat a foot long, it still wouldn't be a big issue calorie-wise... but I always share with my kids (ages 3 & 1, so small enough to share with still!).

BUT if you do go with meats, stick with turkey, chicken, or ham since those are the least calorie heavy meats they have. Also, watch the dressings because those can be big time fatty & there is never any real measurement on the portion they put on your sandwich. I've seen some that would use one thing little line the width of a pencil, and I've seen some that shoot out a line of dressing as fat as big crayola marker (easily 3 times what the first person did). If I want dressing, I add it at home so I know exactly what I'm getting, but I usually just eat it dry.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Technically, its just another 'fast food' joint. However, if you have a very busy lifestyle and minimal options, then it is one of the better ones to shoot for.

In general, bread is a killer, and so is lunch meat. Personally, I spend 10-ish dollars total a week on my sandwiches. I go to the deli, get some mozzarella, low or no sodium turkey breast, and use whole wheat pita bread.

3766339.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods