Grass-fed, Grain-finished & Local vs. Grass fed from...?

Options
I was just curious what you all think about this. Typically, my husband and I get a few pounds of grass-fed beef from WF.

As of today, we have a milkman. In my order, I ordered two pounds of ground beef. (northeastfamilyfarms.com)
The beef comes from farms in New England; they are pasture raised. They, however, consume some corn during the winter months and are finished on about 75%grass/forage, 25% grain.

So... my question is... which would you prefer? The beef from WF or from my listed source? Regardless, it is only tempoary as my husband and I are looking to buy a 1/4 of a cow soon, but I would appreciate some feedback. Thanks so much!

Replies

• summerbert
    summerbert Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I think it is fine during the winter. Here our winters are not that cold so we don't have to worry about that. I don't think that will matter much
  • blobrien
    Options
    I would ask if the WF beef is local as I know when I ate meat our WF carried locally raised meats. If it is local, I'd continue with that. If the WF beef is not local, I personally would switch to the other one as I strongly believe in using local food sources first. Just my personal opinion.
  • CobraBubbles
    Options
    I would ask if the WF beef is local as I know when I ate meat our WF carried locally raised meats. If it is local, I'd continue with that. If the WF beef is not local, I personally would switch to the other one as I strongly believe in using local food sources first. Just my personal opinion.

I will ask, but I am fairly confident the ground beef from WF is not local; fully grass-fed/finished, but not local.
    :/
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I was just curious what you all think about this. Typically, my husband and I get a few pounds of grass-fed beef from WF.

As of today, we have a milkman. In my order, I ordered two pounds of ground beef. (northeastfamilyfarms.com)
    The beef comes from farms in New England; they are pasture raised. They, however, consume some corn during the winter months and are finished on about 75%grass/forage, 25% grain.

So... my question is... which would you prefer? The beef from WF or from my listed source? Regardless, it is only tempoary as my husband and I are looking to buy a 1/4 of a cow soon, but I would appreciate some feedback. Thanks so much!

I prefer to have totally grass fed beef.

The grain feeding is what causes cows to get disease and get sick, which is then filtered into the meat. Cows have not evolved to eat grains, they are herbivores and their diet should be grass.

If you are looking for good, healthy meats for you and your family - Go for Local, 100% grass fed beef.
  • CobraBubbles
    Options

The grain feeding is what causes cows to get disease and get sick, which is then filtered into the meat. Cows have not evolved to eat grains, they are herbivores and their diet should be grass.

If you are looking for good, healthy meats for you and your family - Go for Local, 100% grass fed beef.

"Grokette"? I can only imagine a fellow Primal eater/lifestyle follower? :)
    I will eat this meat, but after this, I reckon it's back to WF until we can get our 1/4 cow. :)
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

"Grokette"? I can only imagine a fellow Primal eater/lifestyle follower? :)
    I will eat this meat, but after this, I reckon it's back to WF until we can get our 1/4 cow. :)

Why yes I am. We get local, grass fed beef from a local butcher who buys from local farmers. We have toured 2 of the farms that our butcher purchases meat from. We get our beef, chicken and pork from the same butcher and the pigs and chickens are free-range and the cows are left to pasture.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Google grass finished cattle,,,,, they are MUCH, MUCH, MUCH, MUCH (get the point) better for you than cattle that have been finished on grain. COWS ARE NOT MEANT TO EAT GRAIN. They are Herbivores, not Grainivores.
  • dalbers
    Options
    I just do not see the point to paying extra for grass fed beef only to have it corn finished.

Sure, the beef tastes better, but the point of grass feeding is healthiew cows and leaner meat, with cows eating what they were built to eat.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    I prefer grass fed with free access to the pasture. Tastes MUCH MUCH better and that is how cows are meant to eat. Corn is HORRID for their digestion and actually has a lot to do with their e-coli production.
    We can't buy grass fed all the time... it gets spendy, but I certainly do prefer local farm, grass fed. :)
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Where in NE are you? That is where I am at as well:

I am thinking about making my order here:

http://www.hardwickbeef.com/

I am also comparing my options here:

http://www.eatwild.com/products/massachusetts.html