Pregnant and trying to maintain

Options
I'm 6 months pregnant, and I'm having a really hard time saying no to my chocolate cravings. I know I shouldn't obsess about my weight right now, but honestly I've always been relatively active and now that I can't do much I'm going crazy! So far I've gained 17 pounds, which isn't too bad, but I didn't start out as a stick figure, either lol. With my other children I got extra heavy in the later months and was just very miserable, and I'm trying to avoid that this time around. I've started walking now that the winter weather is passing, and I'm trying to do standing push ups against a wall, does anyone know of any ab exercises I could do? I want to be able to get back in shape asap after the baby. I guess you could say I didn't appreciate what I had until it went away :)

Replies

• gangstagirl625
    gangstagirl625 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    im not a doc but i'd be careful about ab workouts. just walk and eat the right foods and you should be fine
  • SarahR1984
    Options
    I wouldn't do ab exercises when pregnant! Talk to your OB. Your stomach is going to get stretched out anyway I don't think ab exercises would help at all. Do them after you have the baby:)
  • verbifyvenus
    verbifyvenus Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    It's by doctor's advice that you shouldn't be doing ab exercises. Cardio would be a lot more beneficial to you. As well dark chocolate is absolutely fine.

By the way, 17 lb wt gain at 6 months is absolutely fine, you should not be obsessing or concerned unless your doctor is concerned. At term you'll be gaining a lot more as baby puts on fat and you retain water so be prepared.
  • ajwall3
    ajwall3 Posts: 187
    Options
    Hey! I was a stick when I got pregnant and I was SO worried I wasn't gaining any weight that I tried to gain.... BIG mistake! I gained over 65 lbs b/c like you mentioned, the later months of pregnancy were where I packed on the weight! Not to mention I was on bed-rest b/c of a uterine deformation I couldn't control... If I only knew then what I know now! I would NOT have worried about gaining... I would have put those donuts down and thought about the end result!

I just wanted to chime in, but I don't have much info to give you! All I can recommend is to eat every 3 hours, healthy protein rich foods, a LOT of veggies to get the vitamins and if you crave sugar - eat some fruit... I wish I had more to offer but great job on only gaining 17 lbs and you're already 6 months! Sounds like you are maintaining a very healthy attitude and approach so that's great! A lot of times being pregnant is a very difficult idea to put your mind around - esp if you're concerned about weight. I read someplace that's why Jillian Michaels wants to adopt b/c she said she just couldn't 'do that' to her body... it's such a mental thing! Hope the remainder of your pregnancy goes smoothly! You're doing great! :flowerforyou:

Oh! Edit: I totally missed the part where you were requesting ab exercises! I totally echo what others are saying - I would NOT do that! Cardio like walking, swimming are the best things you can do to maintain your exercise... I wouldn't lift weights, do any kind of push-ups/sit-ups/crunches/ or anything high-impact. Low impact exercises are best - try stretching or yoga designed for pregnant women. While watching your weight is important - don't forget the MAIN thing is to have a healthy baby! Good luck!
  • asiples
    Options
    Thanks for all the support, I PROMISE I won't do ab exercises, as that seems to be a big no-no lol! I'll just keep walking, it boosts my mood also, so it has a few more benefits.
  • sluderin
    Options
    You CAN do ab exercises that are not laying flat on your back! Abdominal exercises are great if done SAFELY. I did them with every pregnancy. In fact, it helps your abdominal muscles recover faster after the delivery. You can do pelvic tilts with your back against the wall and many others. Ask your OB for a list the next time you see him/her. Low impact cardio and easy reisistance activities are perfectly safe unless *YOUR* OBGYN doc tells YOU otherwise.