fish recipes for one?

Options
So i Love fish, my husband hates it. I would like to eat it once in a while, but obviuosly i wont be making it for dinner. Anybody know any good fish recipes to serve just one, that i could do for lunch every once in a while. I like any type of fish! Only thing i know how to do is fry up some catfish, but obviously, i would like a healthier alternative!

Replies

• twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I have been buying frozen fish servings at Trader Joes - easy to throw a piece or two into a skillet! I also found frozen salmon in steam bags - so easy and not bad tasting - that was at the Giant...
  • grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    1 - 3 Oz Can of Tuna in Water
    1 Large Egg
    1/4 Cup Fine Bread Crumbs
    A dash of Salt and Pepper

You simply mix the Tuna, egg, and bread crumbs in a bowl. Heat a frying pan up to just over medium heat and coat with Pam or some other non-stick spray. Make the mixture into one or two patties and then cook for 2-3 minutes on each side.

The burger itself is only 293 calories, but is closer to 400 once you add the bun and whatever toppings you might put on. Often I'll just throw some salsa on top as a bit of a garnish.
  • kibibi57
    Options
    You can bake some Talipia it is really good. Usually it is sold individually wrapped so cooking it for one will be really simple. You can season it any way that you would like, and it only takes about 15-20 minutes to cook. Wrap in foil to keep it moist.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    You can prep a simple tasty salmon with lemon juice, salt, pepper, garlic, and dill. Maybe a drop of olive oil. Bake at 350 for about 15-20 minutes. If you make extra, you can make a salmon scramble the next morning.
  • GURLEY_GIRL3
    GURLEY_GIRL3 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I BUY THE FROZEN FILIET OF SALMON OR TILIPIA AND JUST THROW A COUPLE ON THE GEORGE FOREMAN GRILL W/ LEMON PEPPER AND BUTTER OR PUT FRESH LEMON JUICE ON WHEN DONE
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat!!! I eat fish twice a week, usually try to cook fish when my husband is either working late or when he has left overs in the fridge, so I don't have to cook him a separate meal.

I sprinkle fresh salmon with mccormick salmon seasoning, sea salt, and fresh pepper and then bake it for 20 minutes (for 8 oz fillet) at 400 degrees.

I also dip fresh flounder in to cracker meal, salt, pepper and parsley (after coating with pam) and saute for 3-4 minutes on each side in a 2 tsp of olive oil. Then squeeze lemon juice on top.
  • yyzdnl
    yyzdnl Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I posted this on another thread.

Broiled Salmon & Choice of Frozen Vegetable.

Rub Salmon with olive oil and sprinkle with Dizzy Pig Raging River spice.

Broil Salmon and microwave vegetable for 6 minutes.

Done

Here is a link to spice Dizzy Pig spices are the best.
    http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/HTMLrubs/ragingriver.html
  • Ahzuri
    Ahzuri Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I've been getting bags of wild caught salmon from Wal-mart and Kroger that are skinless boneless plus packaged separately for like 8/9 bucks. They are very easy to throw into a pan and fry or if you have something like a George Foreman grill. I use the Foreman grill on mine (not because I want to drain the fat, more that its easiest) I don't think the salmon even needs any flavoring its sooo good! I've been eating them with part of a steamer veggie pack and then taking the rest of it to work with me the next day or eating it later on.
  • riley711
    riley711 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I sometimes buy the bags of frozen tillapia or whiting. With the tillapia, each piece of fish is individually wrapped/sealed. You can defrost these easily just by running the individual package under cold water. To cook, heat a skillet, spray with Pam or your favorite non-stick spray, season the fish with your favorite seasonings, then cook in the skillet - approximately 3 minutes on each side (longer if the fish is very thick).
  • Mary_Burris
    Options
    I get frozen talapia filet's and thaw them and then coat it in egg whites and then panko bread crumbs with diffrent seasonings and bake it in the oven on 375 for about 20-25 min until flaky and it is so good.
  • kidtechnical
    Options
    Fish is really easy to do for one because you can dress it with herbs and oil/lemon and place it in a homemade airtight tinfoil envelope, make sure it is big enough to give the fish room to steam. You can do almost any fish like that, Bass, Trout, Salmon, White fish. Experiment with herbs: Basil, dill, spinach, lemon slices, tomato slices etc etc. Aim for 1 or 2 oily fish once a week too, for the benificial oils. Enjoy. You have my sympathies, I live with someone who can take or leave fish, after 10 years, maybe I'm mean but after 10 years I just serve it up and if he doesn't like it he can sort himself out (oh and he eats it btw!)
  • 0SimplymeStacyLea0
    Options
    I do the same thing as Sabrina. I usually bake any type of individual pre packaged fish, add some good seasoning, cracker meal and definitely use some coking spray. :smile:
  • Iris0022
    Options
    Look for individually packaged servings of fish (I find mine at Costco). This way you can keep them in the freezer and just pull out one at a time. I cook salmon in a pan on the stove with a small amount of olive oil or cooking spray to keep it from sticking. Cook on med/hi about 3 mins them flip. When the fish is almost cooked through I drizzle 1/2 Tbsp of honey or maple syrup and 1 Tbsp of balsamic vinegar over the fish to make a glaze. It is simple, tasty, and easy enough to do for just one person. Sometimes I even make this for myself when my family has another protein at dinner.
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    thanks everybody for all yall's responses. Didnt realize it was so easy, or else i would of probably been doing it along time ago!
  • CherylYMerritt
    CherylYMerritt Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    My husband and I love fish. One way to buy it is at Costco. We buy Kirkland Signature - Wild Alaskan Sockeye Salmon (Frozen), 1 piece (6 oz.), it is already portioned and really is the best tasting frozen fish we have found.
    I usually cook my fish in the oven-parchment paper is your friend!- I cook most everything in the oven on parchment paper.
    I usually cook salmon, with a bit of dijon mustard on it and a sprinkle of dill, then a splash of lemon juice.
    The biggest trick to cooking any fish is to not overcook it. put it in the oven -say 400 degrees, cook for 7 min, check! I check fish by inserting the tip of a knife and then touching the tip to your lip. sounds crazy I know but I learned this in the restaurant kitchens.
    Do it the first time when it has cooked for 5 min so you can see what I mean, as the knife tip warms up....that tells you when fish is cooked. when It gets hot to touch, its done!

any type of white fish such as haddock or sole is great with just salt, pepper, lemon and your favourite herb (I often use dried basil)
    cook same as above.

Good luck
  • BuceesNana
    BuceesNana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Put a single serving in a foil pouch with tomatoes, onions, jalepeno or serrano chili, olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. I usually cook this outside on the gas grill, but you can bake it too.