Seemingly Obvious Exercise advice

Options
This will be a thread in which you can give your seemingly obvious advice...things that while you should know you have done anyway....

Here is mine

DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT eat sweet pickles, black beans, cottage cheese and spicy grilled veggies 30 minutes before attempting to run a fast 4 miles....it makes your belly hurt....your kids will think you are funny for burping a lot but it sorta sucks...

Replies

• sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    dont work out in flip flops
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Here's my advice....
    Cardio first, THEN yoga.
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    1. Do NOT wear sunglasses in the gym. (ok that's not exercise advice, just a life lesson).

2. Hydrate yourself during workouts.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    no stilettos
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    dont work out at a gym if you have gas...please for the sake of the person behind you
  • v1k1n95
    Options
    Do not create a calorie deficit for the five weekdays, then eat like a staving Ethiopian kid on Saturday and Sunday and expect to lose weight. I'm no dietitian, but I can garuntee it will not work.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    oh and PLEASE wear a bra!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Two words to the girls-- and their "girls":
    EFFECTIVE BRASSIERE!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Wear GOOD deodorant to the gym please!

wipe down your machine when you are done!

If something seems pretty easy (weight or resistance wise), then it's to easy. work harder!
  • patjad
    patjad Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    1. Do NOT wear sunglasses in the gym. (ok that's not exercise advice, just a life lesson).

Hats, especially knitted hats should be added to #1
  • quanta
    quanta Posts: 28
    Options
    Don't wear shorts that ride up your butt. No matter how sly you think you are, there is at least one person who will see you "fixing" your shorts.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Remember to breathe!
  • nlewis22
    nlewis22 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Don't run in brand new shoes for a long distance- break them in a litle first! No-one likes blisters!
    And to help prevent blisters in the first place, rub stick deoderant on your feet, it fights friction!
  • southernlay_d
    Options
    Zumba shoes should not be wore on a spin bike... my poor feet still hurt :(
  • ingeborgv
    ingeborgv Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Zumba shoes should not be wore on a spin bike... my poor feet still hurt :(

More importantly: Remember to bring shoes to your spin classes. Spinning in socks really isn't that enjoyable (yes, I tried).
  • southernlay_d
    Options
    My Zumba class was cancelled Monday night so I took Spin instead. I could not even imagine spinning in socks! Yoooowza!
  • synchrohobbit
    synchrohobbit Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Keep track of your heart rate...sometimes your exertion feels high but you could really push yourself more.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Stretching is worth the few extra minutes it took to do. The pain/injury from not stretching will keep you out longer than the stretching would have taken.
  • collettemrk
    Options
    Stretching is worth the few extra minutes it took to do. The pain/injury from not stretching will keep you out longer than the stretching would have taken.

Do not stretch cold muscles..Quick warmup then stretch!!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options

Hats, especially knitted hats should be added to #1

*red faced* I wear a knit hat when I work out. But for the single, solitary reason that it keeps my hair out of my face. I've tried differed kinds of headbands and sweatbands and my bangs always end up wiggling their way out and nothing bugs me more than having sweaty hair flopping in my face while I workout. If it's any consolation I hate that it's the only thing that works and do realize how stupid I look. lol