Seemingly Obvious Exercise advice

Options

Replies

• xXAlana21Xx
    xXAlana21Xx Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Do not exercise on an empty stomache. you wont feel well and all you will think about is food and what you can eat after
  • bafe
    bafe Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Don't have broccoli soup before Yoga class!:blushing:
  • elsie81
    elsie81 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Do what feels right for your body ..if at first you can't do it just keep trying ..AFTER ALL ROME WASN'T BUILT IN A DAY ..
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Do not exercise on an empty stomache. you wont feel well and all you will think about is food and what you can eat after

I totally agree with this. I tried doing the emty stomach thing a few times based on some peoples recommendations and it made me queasy trying to run on a totally empty stomach. Plus I never had the energy to run as fully as I do when I've eaten something. I always have to stop and walk more when I have no food in my stomach.
  • Teresa652
    Teresa652 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to lift weights. I've been doing it for months and I feel a lot better about myself, my arms are toned but I didn't bulk up like some women think will happen.
  • frenchfri87
    frenchfri87 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    curling a 5lb dumbbell 50 times.. 100 side bends.. 200 crunches.. 30min of not breaking a sweat on the cardio machines.. stand around and chat/stretch for 30 minutes.

ladies!! - if your gym routine looks like this... please change it!! :flowerforyou:
    Pick up some weight, get your heart rate up, and remember u can't spot reduce that belly fat!!
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    If you can do more than 15 reps with the weight you're using, you're using too light of a weight!
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Work your larger muscle groups like your back, chest and legs before training smaller muscle groups like your biceps. You'll burn more calories and build more muscle that way.
  • portlandsundevil
    portlandsundevil Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    No drinking before working out? Like, no shots of Grey Goose, I mean. Makes the workout slightly less effective.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    tight jeans are not appropriate workout wear
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Pay attention to where your foot is on the step during step aerobics or risk falling flat on you face....
  • C_Bran
    C_Bran Posts: 254
    Options
    Warm up properly prior to sprinting (your hamstrings will thank you)!!!
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    You absolutely do *not* have to have a gym to work out. Do it anyway.

Vary what you do.

Just because something worked for that hot girl on the forums who's lost 70 pounds does *not* mean that it will work for you. And that's okay if it doesn't. And it's okay if you think that _____ is boring. Something else is fun and burns about the same amount of calories. Fun workouts get repeated.
  • jteammom
    jteammom Posts: 173
    Options
    -Do not douse yourself in your favorite cologne prior to going to the gym.
    -While at the gym, do not get on your cell phone and loudly discuss your hysterectomy. Or hemorrhoids. Or suspicious rash. Or the fat lady on the treadmill next to you. (That would be me and I CAN HEAR YOU!)
  • patjad
    patjad Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    1. Do NOT wear sunglasses in the gym. (ok that's not exercise advice, just a life lesson).

2. Hydrate yourself during workouts.

Hats, especially knitted hats should be added to #1

*red faced* I wear a knit hat when I work out. But for the single, solitary reason that it keeps my hair out of my face. I've tried differed kinds of headbands and sweatbands and my bangs always end up wiggling their way out and nothing bugs me more than having sweaty hair flopping in my face while I workout. If it's any consolation I hate that it's the only thing that works and do realize how stupid I look. lol

haha! okay, your case is different, I meant more the people who do it to be fashionable and trendy while they work out. I completely understand your situation--my hair is JUST now long enough to put in a pony tail!
  • raele
    raele Posts: 10
    Options
    On a serious note, drinking water that has finely crushed ice in it 30 minutes before running will actually help you run longer! When your body starts to tire, that cold will keep it in gear for an extra 10-15 minutes or even longer!

Other than that... choose your workout clothing wisely! It may look nice in the dressing room but some clothing (tight) and some colours (greys etc) will show just how sweaty you are... EVERY where... Good for you for working THAT hard but butt sweat isn't always that attractive! : )
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    This will be a thread in which you can give your seemingly obvious advice...things that while you should know you have done anyway....

Here is mine

DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT eat sweet pickles, black beans, cottage cheese and spicy grilled veggies 30 minutes before attempting to run a fast 4 miles....it makes your belly hurt....your kids will think you are funny for burping a lot but it sorta sucks...

Too funny!
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Work your larger muscle groups like your back, chest and legs before training smaller muscle groups like your biceps. You'll burn more calories and build more muscle that way.
    Great advice!
  • ThatDollSally
    ThatDollSally Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Don't be intimidated by the people at the gym that make working out look effortless when you're breathing heavy and sweating like a pig. If they're not working then they aren't benifiting from thier time. You are!
  • meredithscroggin
    Options
    While it's not a great idea to work out on an empty stomach, don't eat a meal before you do, but maybe just a snack. By the time I get done working out, I realize that my hunger/cravings are gone!