Concerns over posts content

Options

Replies

• Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    Shore you brining up this topic...I think it'll be appreciated by many on this site. Thank you:flowerforyou:

Only been here 2 weeks and couldn't stay offa the site the first week, then I saw a peek into a whole different MFP world than what I thought I had joined...after only my first week....

SO I think I'll stick to tracking my foods/excercise and keeping it basic for awhile

....when I open a thread and read the start of it with interest...it's a bummer to find you've wasted some time only to find out it's no longer about the topic but ......well, it seems to change in many directioins.

....I think I just need to start being much more selective on how I spend my time regarding WHICH posts I open to read...

Just my thoughts...
    But then again, I'm PMS'n so what do I know .......:huh:
  • Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    This is a good point to bring up, we are all different, but at the end of the day we are all here for the same reason - our health - right guys ???

At the end of the day, I don't care what people post, some of it is quite humerous, ok, so some may go a bit OTT, but hey, its only a laugh, maybe we could have possible 'offensive' threads highlighted with a flag or something similar.

Or, failing that, we could always have a completely seperate area for this kind of chit chat? Something off topic??

Anyways, I love this site, I love you all, I'm sure something can be sorted out to accomodate all our differing needs :happy:

Jackie xx
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for understanding. As I said, I really wrestled with how or even if to bring it up. And I really hope no one got put off. I don't want people to stop posting or stop feeling like they're not free to post what they want. I'd just like a little warning on certain topics :flowerforyou:
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I agree 100%
    I was so annoyed the other day when a very innocent religious topic was jumped upon immediately, but all the smutty posts are almost encouraged??
    =o/
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    good for you for saying what you think is right :-)

but yes probably if we could put a flag on a psot that might begin to get off topic wouold be a good idea... :heart:
    jackie
  • shorerider
    Options
    I like the idea of a "flag" on posts that we could put ourselves--maybe Mike can incorporate that at some date.

I really don't want to inhibit anyone! Please understand! I love the openness and camaraderie of this site and really hope my comment didn't make anyone feel limited in any way! THAT WAS NOT MY INTENT!

I know people like to have fun, "get silly," banter, etc. I wasn't raised in a church or a convent, ok! I didn't become a Christian until I was 37, and I lived a pretty wild life at times. So, again, I'm not a prude an am very aware that many feel very comfortable with these types of conversations. Gessh, you're talking to someone who used to grab the PlayGirl off the stacks in the warehouse as soon as they were delivered, ok :tongue:

There have even been Gutter Gang threads in the past there were lighthearted and fun and I posted in. So, it takes a bit to cause me to begin to skip a thread.

BUT AGAIN, PLEASE! Don't feel that you have to limit yourselves because of my feelings on this! I'm afraid that I've given that impression.

All I ask is a little understanding and a little warning.
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    I dont think you have said anything wrong ... I agree we need to respect EVERYONES feelings on this site... i mean we are a family right? I wouldnt say some of the things i do say here to my grandma:huh: I think sometimes we all just get a little carried away.... I personally dont care whats in a post but there is more than one person here who does....

a flag would be an awesome option... someone should suggest it to Mike....
  • nuttyrubs
    Options
    thanks for bringing this up..i really wanted to ,the other day but didnt have the guts to do so..kudoos
  • Newman4AU
    Options
    Thanks for the post- I have just given up reading anything due to the content not being what I had signed up for! Too often things will settle to the lowest common denominator without uplifting words such as yours.
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    Well, as no doubt I am one of those "someones" (especially pictures), please let me apologize if I have posted anything that offended anyone! That was never my intention! So I'll try to keep it more PG-13 in the future.
  • Juliebean
    Options
    I apologize if anything that I have posted or commented on has offended anyone, as that was never my intention. Thanks for posting this Shore and letting us know how you feel. :flowerforyou:
  • shorerider
    Options
    I will say this:

While I know the site is set up to encourage one another, for those who hang out here all day, there is only so much encouraging you can do. A little diversion is needed. Putting OT PG-13 before your Topic description would be a good way to flag threads that are meant more for fun.

Yes--good points all around, Max! I really like the OT PG-13 in Topics Titles! That's something we could do ourselves without having to create more work for Mike, which I'm sure he'll appreciate :wink:
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I agree Shore. I'm not really "churchy" although I have a faith (despite rumors :wink: ), but don't like others put off to the site either. If that makes sense?

I like everyone on here, but sadly....I've stopped reading or adding to a lot of posts simply cause I hate wadding through everything. I've noticed a lot of regular threads get twisted into something they weren't intended for....in those cases you can't change the heading..

I don't want people to feel oppressed on here, but we all have different personalities and backgrounds. So tolerance but respect as well is needed.

:heart: MFPers
  • BEFORE
    BEFORE Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Um..well I am probably one of the biggest offenders here and would like to say I am "truly sorry". Realizing that I am making people quit posting or attempt to read over something b/c of what I have said or responded really makes feel pretty low.

I have always had a pretty good sense of humor but I do have trouble knowing when to use it. My desire to make people laugh sometimes outweighs my good judgement.

There have been a few nights I have left work feeling extremely quilty for my behavior and I feel Iike I am leading this double life. I too Shore am a Christian but I dont think anyone would realize it by reading my comments. I came in this morning determine to clean it up and this just reinforces my decision.

Shore you and anybody else does have the right to speak your mind anytime. I respect you for what you have voiced.

Here is to everyone enjoying this site and reaching there goals.
    God Bless.
  • debuckl
    debuckl Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I agree 100%
    I was so annoyed the other day when a very innocent religious topic was jumped upon immediately, but all the smutty posts are almost encouraged??
    =o/

I absolutely agree with this. I was upset to see how quickly this thread was jumped on when other less tasteful ones get pages and pages of posts. Sure, debating religion and politics can be controversial but my personal opinion: If a post offends you, close out without commenting and eventually it gets to the bottom of the page and no one will see it.

It would be nice to have a clue in the topic though, so no one has to read something they don't want to.
  • JeremyInvincible
    JeremyInvincible Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Um..well I am probably one of the biggest offenders here and would like to say I am "truly sorry". Realizing that I am making people quit posting or attempt to read over something b/c of what I have said or responded really makes feel pretty low.

I have always had a pretty good sense of humor but I do have trouble knowing when to use it. My desire to make people laugh sometimes outweighs my good judgement.

There have been a few nights I have left work feeling extremely quilty for my behavior and I feel Iike I am leading this double life. I too Shore am a Christian but I dont think anyone would realize it by reading my comments. I came in this morning determine to clean it up and this just reinforces my decision.

Shore you and anybody else does have the right to speak your mind anytime. I respect you for what you have voiced.

Here is to everyone enjoying this site and reaching there goals.
    God Bless.

Check your PMs bro.
  • pack533
    pack533 Posts: 224
    Options
    I would also just like to say, that just about anyone can log into this site, so I wouldn't write anything that you wouldn't want your child to read.

I second this thought as there ARE children logging into this site --- nuff said.

Someone mentioned pics and I will second that as well, I log from work as well and some pics I have to quickly click off and again, children use this site-- so, I have to agree with that comment.

Shore good post -- needed to be said and no, personally, you didn't offend me :wink: but not much does.

I have to agree with all of this. My kids are around where I am on here, or I am at work. I have stopped reading the post over the past month due to the content. I hope that we can clean it up. I love the site.
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I agree 100%
    =o/

I absolutely agree with this. I was upset to see how quickly this thread was jumped on when other less tasteful ones get pages and pages of posts. Sure, debating religion and politics can be controversial but my personal opinion: If a post offends you, close out without commenting and eventually it gets to the bottom of the page and no one will see it.

It would be nice to have a clue in the topic though, so no one has to read something they don't want to.

Hopefully in the future we can all just put an OT and a disclaimer or something?
    I would hope that would help! =o)