The Tummy

Options
I'm feeling iffy about my tummy right now. It's not huge, but its definitely flabby -- which is pretty much the main reason why I joined up to MFP so I could officially keep track of my food intake. However, I've been eating healthily since the beginning of December and I've been exercising rigorously with lots and LOTS of cardio. I know that combining those two will result in a smaller tummy. I also know that focusing on core exercises WILL strengthen your abdominals but won't necessarily get rid of fat -- thats what the cardio is for.

So I've been at it for nearly three months now, and... I've had no results tummy-wise. My chest area has gone down at least a size (none of my bras fit properly anymore which means a shopping trip is close at hand), but my tummy has seen no change in flab. Also, my upper thighs have not graced me with becoming smaller.

I already know that spot reduction is a no-go (but don't you wish it was real???). Do you have any exercises or routines that you've experienced that help out with my situation? If you do, that would be SO GREAT. Thanks!

Replies

• Shawnalee0703
    Options
    everyone has different fat stores. Your body's natural fat stores can be the most difficult to get rid of. Unfortunately you can't target fat loss (as you mentioned) but you can strengthen your mid section and focus on general fat/calorie burn! :-D Strengthen that core and hopefully it will at least tighten up a little (less giggle potentially) also giving you better balance and stability. Don't fret. It will come, keep at it!!! It seems like you KNOW what ya need to know... But try mixing it up a bit. Try a new cardio or two...have fun with it!
    Interval training and circuit training are both fabulous calorie burns.( I LOVE BOTH OF THEM) Circuits also can include a variety of strength training which with help you strengthen up all over. :-D Best of luck!
  • littlemoron
    littlemoron Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! :grumble:

When I lose weight, I lose it first in my face, neck and boobs (thanks body!) I don't really have any earth-shattering suggestions, just wanted to let you know that (1) you're not alone, and (2) your patience and hard work will pay off. One of these days.

:flowerforyou:

PS - who is that dude on your weight tracker thingy? He's hot!
  • sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    combining strength with cardio is your best bet. It sounds like you are already doing that. I am doing the 30 day shred and already see a difference in my stomach. Its only been 7 days!! I want this baby belly gone. I've seen amazing results with others on MFP..
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/shreddingit
    http://shreddingandlosing.blogspot.com
    This girl really gave me hope in losing the fat off my belly. I know she has worked damn hard for it. Add her as a friend and ask for some advice. I did!
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    I have the same problem! :grumble:

When I lose weight, I lose it first in my face, neck and boobs (thanks body!) I don't really have any earth-shattering suggestions, just wanted to let you know that (1) you're not alone, and (2) your patience and hard work will pay off. One of these days.

:flowerforyou:

Ha Ha good question!! And you are right.. she is definitely NOT alone. I lose waist first and what takes the LONGEST is upper arms and thighs.... No matter the training! haha Believe me I have done it all ;) But Yep! Keep at it, you will see results! You will!!!!
  • MissyFit08
    MissyFit08 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Hey! You'll lose fat first where you gained it last. My stomach is poochy too. But I got fat there first so I know it'll prob be one of the last places to go for me. Also if youre eating carby foods like alot of breads noodles rice etc. That tends to stick to the fatty areas too. Try to eat fresh veggies (not all carrots and potatoes. Haha) and drink lots of water. Water flushes fat from the body. (or so i heard) good luck!
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Plank, plank and more plank. Both front and side planks. Hold the positions for as long as you can, working your way up to at least one minute. Do them several times each day and night.
  • Hi Angelinah,

I agree on the spot thing...the best is that you are still going ,working on the postive, and that three months in you have some great results!

As for the spot thing...I had the same issue as you, and don't look at my profile because it doesn't accurate reflect my 'loss' and 'gains'.... I have not had many weight losses, but I have had many fitness gains.

My sister and I (her having a baby, and me gaining a sympathy belly) did a few things. One was to start hulahooping...believe it or not....and the other to wear one of those belly cinchers you see now in fitness places. Ever looked at your wedding ring finger? Well, have found that belly wraps (or a tensor bandage) does the same thing when cinched on a regular basis, and so has my sister, after her c-section. It keeps you standing tall, holds your stomach muscles in (they are developing, no matter what it seems like, believe me!) and keeps you motivated to put on skinnier waisted clothes :) And it is great to wear it now, since the weather is cooler and in the summer it will not be as comfortable.

For the hulahoop, you can start with an inexpensive kids one, the move on to an 'adult' one...go to a fitness store, or you can even look online and get instructions on how to make your own. About 15 mins a day works, and the hips movement is a welcome change to crunches.

Hope this post has helped!

Best of luck, and every time i get frustrated with my belly (and hate wearing a cincher), i try to visualize wearing a bikini...you can do it! Another idea is a tensor bandage, just be sure to monitor the tension...
  • kellybbowden
    Options
    Something to think about:
    When you are working out really hard and your heart rate is really high, you are building endurance... which is good, but you do not always have to work out that hard to get results. If you get on a treadmill/elliptical or pretty much any other cardio equipment at the gym, look on the display, it generally will have a "Target Heart Rate" table on there. Find your age and it will tell you your Fat Burning Zone and your Endurance Zone. The Fat Burning Heart Rate is far less than the Endurance Heart Rate. Which means that you don't have to work that hard to burn fat. For instance... I am 30 years old and my Target Fat Burning Heart rate is right around 30 bpm. For me this is a brisk walk with a slight incline. When I even jog I go over my Fat Burning and get into Endurance Building. So the bottom line is that you can Go Like Hell on the cardio equipment, or you can just keep an eye on your heart rate and make sure you stay in that fat burning zone and maybe you will see some results! Also, switching up your routine is very important!!
    Hope this helps!
  • vero_1
    vero_1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Plank, plank and more plank. Both front and side planks. Hold the positions for as long as you can, working your way up to at least one minute. Do them several times each day and night.
    The plank is great for helping you train your middle section and so is hulahooping. I have seen results after only a short time, not so much that I have lost lots of fat from doing it but more like after a while I find that it is not so flabby around the middle and have better muscle tone to help me "keep it all in".
  • vsangel87
    vsangel87 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Ugh, i feel your pain! I'm the same way too...except i've been doing the strength exercises for a lot less time...i started doing them about a couple of weeks ago, so i guess i shouldn't be seeing any big results yet, but i did notice that my chest size is going down. I went down about a size, also, since i started working out. But my effing thighs are still ginormous! lol The ab workouts seem to be working though. I usually do 20 reps of normal crunches twice and then i do the same amount of reverse crunches. Good luck!
  • angelinah
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who replied! It's nice to know I'm not alone, haha. I'll definitely try staying within my Fat Burning Zone, I almost always go to the Endurance Zone. I'll do the planks too!

That's Paul Rudd! I love him! I made him my tracker picture so I would always feel motivated when I look at him <3
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    Something to think about:
    When you are working out really hard and your heart rate is really high, you are building endurance... which is good, but you do not always have to work out that hard to get results. If you get on a treadmill/elliptical or pretty much any other cardio equipment at the gym, look on the display, it generally will have a "Target Heart Rate" table on there. Find your age and it will tell you your Fat Burning Zone and your Endurance Zone. The Fat Burning Heart Rate is far less than the Endurance Heart Rate. Which means that you don't have to work that hard to burn fat. For instance... I am 30 years old and my Target Fat Burning Heart rate is right around 30 bpm. For me this is a brisk walk with a slight incline. When I even jog I go over my Fat Burning and get into Endurance Building. So the bottom line is that you can Go Like Hell on the cardio equipment, or you can just keep an eye on your heart rate and make sure you stay in that fat burning zone and maybe you will see some results! Also, switching up your routine is very important!!
    Hope this helps!
    The fat burning zone is misleading, You actually burn MORE fat the harder you work because you are burning more calories in general, therefore the fat burn is higher, as well as your endurance training, Do not fall for the fat burning zone... you should stay around 75%-85% HR while doing cardio training for a good healthy calorie burn. In interval training you would push above that for a window of time, recover, push again, recover and so on. No fat burning zone..... Put more effort in than that!
  • whatupskinnyjeans
    whatupskinnyjeans Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    That and pushups. Not gonna be easy but it should do the trick
  • frenchprairiegirl
    frenchprairiegirl Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem. I found a book (a series of online books) written by Isabel De Los Rios called The Flat Belly Solution.
    It focuses on eating clean, non processed foods. Cut out all foods that contain growth hormones, anti-biotics and other chemicals. These are dangerous for our health and is a huge factor in the storage of body fat. Look her up...it working for me and my husband. :)
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    I have a similar problem. I found a book (a series of online books) written by Isabel De Los Rios called The Flat Belly Solution.
    It focuses on eating clean, non processed foods. Cut out all foods that contain growth hormones, anti-biotics and other chemicals. These are dangerous for our health and is a huge factor in the storage of body fat. Look her up...it working for me and my husband. :)
    ABSOLUTELY. I have not read this book but do my best to eat clean and it is extremely benefitial to ANYONE-wanting to lose weight or not- to eat clean and avoid processed food. I do also suggest a clean diet, your body will naturally do some cleansing and MAYBE, just MAYBE it will help that darn tummy! ;) We can all hope right? Either way, with natural and even raw foods, your body gets more nutrients that it needs in order to function at it's best. Eating clean ALSO naturally helps with sodium intake. :-D
  • Karmynzahringer
    Karmynzahringer Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I agree with Frenchprarie, try the diet solution program by Isabel De Los Rios, it gives some great, solid advice and its tailored to help you lose fat and keep it off. Basically all of these processed foods and chemicals go to your liver to be broke down and flushed out, your liver has the ability to break down fats as well but if you eat too many processed foods, artificial sweeteners, chemicals etc, your liver spends all of its time trying to flush out those toxins and does not have near as much time to break down the fats. I hope that makes sense. If you go by this diet, you can optimize your body and system to burn more fat by simply changing your diet around. Basically if the package has any ingredients you can not pronounce, don't eat it! For example, instead of Country Crock low fat butter with a list of ingredients on the back that is super long and full of preservatives, chemicals, dyes, etc, just use real butter and look for the one that has the only ingredients of cream, salt and milk. Of course you would use any butter in moderation, but this is just an example of what to look for in your foods. 99% of your "low cal and fat free" foods are actually terrible for your body!