For the ladies...what do you do for PMS?

tamanella
tamanella Posts: 500 Member
edited September 24 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi there! I'm struggling so hard this week with PMS that all I want is chocolate and chips. I've been going over my calories everyday because of this. What suggestions do you have out there that help you through PMS cravings and keep you on track?? I could use the suggestions. Thanks!!

Replies

• cerysrhi
    cerysrhi Posts: 262
    I hate to say this but i give in to my cravings every time but I do in the right way I pre-portion it so that I stay within my cals if I know i will eat a bar of dairy milk (standard) then I break it into cubes and just have one cube at a time I sometimes find I don't eat the bar cos My son will have a piece and there is some left over at the end of the day x
  • I have a cup of hot cocoa and an ibuprofin! Seriously...it's a monthly tradition for me :) Instead of fighting mother nature I just go with the flow and deal with it. The cup of cocoa gives my my chocolate fix, and my warm comfort need!! It makes it very well worth the calories because it helps you stay on track instead of making you say "forget this, i'll cheat till this is over".
  • Beat a man up- burns a ton of calories and is often better than chocolate.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Hi there! I'm struggling so hard this week with PMS that all I want is chocolate and chips. I've been going over my calories everyday because of this. What suggestions do you have out there that help you through PMS cravings and keep you on track?? I could use the suggestions. Thanks!!

Make sure your eating up to then is clean and healthy and not full of pop,juices processsed foods ect. These things can make PMS worse. I know been there and done all that in the past. NOw that my eating is cleaner and I eat healthy foods. My cravings are not as bad. But I still have my momoment and this week too I have struggled with . SO I eat nuts or seeds instead of chips for that salt and crunch. I do cottage cheese and fruit or an organic granola for that ssweet/salty. Try thsese things. My clients have told me that there cravingss are gone or not to bad now that there eating and exercise has changed.

Try those things and Keep the bad stuff out so you dont grab it in those craving fits and keep good healthier choices in the house.

:-) Have a great Thursday
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    It may not be a popular answer around here, but ALL my cravings, including those around PMS time, have been drastically reduced since I started drinking Shakeology everyday. I didn't think that it was going to work, but it honestly has. I can honestly say that I haven't had any candy or anything like that since last year. I have been on Shakeology off and on for a couple of years, but everyday since January 3 which is when I started seeing real difference using it..
  • It may not be a popular answer around here, but ALL my cravings, including those around PMS time, have been drastically reduced since I started drinking Shakeology everyday. I didn't think that it was going to work, but it honestly has. I can honestly say that I haven't had any candy or anything like that since last year. I have been on Shakeology off and on for a couple of years, but everyday since January 3 which is when I started seeing real difference using it..

To highlight the funhouse MFP is:
    This will probably get more people upset than my sexist joke :]
  • i would agree with losing4mysoldier.

i also find that nutella helps. get some wholemeal crackers and spread a little of nutella on there. nutella is one of the least fatty chocolates. My consultant at Slimming World also said that crushing some All Bran cereal and mixing it with nutella fills u up and its healthy :smile:
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Normally I'm a little hungrier around that time so I make sure I eat a lot of dense protein to keep my self with that full feeling. I make sure I get my 128 oz of water in on those days. The fuller I feel the less I want to eat.

I've learned not to give into cravings because I feel for myself thats the easy way out. Doing things the easy way got me fat. I like the feeling of accomplishment when I've made it through that time successfully.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    It may not be a popular answer around here, but ALL my cravings, including those around PMS time, have been drastically reduced since I started drinking Shakeology everyday. I didn't think that it was going to work, but it honestly has. I can honestly say that I haven't had any candy or anything like that since last year. I have been on Shakeology off and on for a couple of years, but everyday since January 3 which is when I started seeing real difference using it..

To highlight the funhouse MFP is:
    This will probably get more people upset than my sexist joke :]

True, but I don't care who hates on me or the product. I know it works so I use it and recommend it. I am not selling it on here, so they can hate away and I really honestly don't care.

One of my "friends" on here thinks P90X doesn't work either. She says women shouldn't do it cause we'll get hurt. I let people's misinformed comments roll off the back of my neck, and answer questions truthfully to the best of my knowledge. :flowerforyou:
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    I make sure I drink plenty of water, sometimes with lemon in it, and have a single serve container of Skinny Cow Brownie Fudge Ice Cream on hand. I crave peanut butter and jelly during PMS. I will have 1 piece of Sara Lee 45 calorie Whole Wheat Bread, some reduced fat peanut butter and sugar free jelly. It always hits the spot.
  • dkiles
    dkiles Posts: 45
    I would like to say I could lock myself in a dark room for the day but I can't. I tend to crave carbs. So my suggestion is to get some low carb alternatives too keep around and drink a lot of water. Low sugar oatmeal with some added splenda for some extra sweetness is good and 1/4 of blueberries or anything else you might like. Oatmeal doesn't just have to be for breakfast. I have this dessert I make with 1/4 ricotta cheese, splenda, tsp vanilla and then what ever toppings I want like a tablespoon of mini chocolate chips or a tablespoon of natural peanut butter. There are some good protein bars out there that will fill you up and give you a candy bar like taste. Just watch out for the sugar contents.

Try to get stocked up with lower calorie things you like and keep them handy so you aren't tempted to go to the store or the vending machine.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    For the salt craving, I have popcorn. For the chocolate craving, I have coffee with a yummy creamer or a low calorie hot chocolate drink. I also drink more water with lemon juice during this time. It helps combat the bloat.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Beat a man up- burns a ton of calories and is often better than chocolate.

ahaha a shot a jager always works for me
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    My pms used to be the worst. Since eating better I find that I really don't crave those things anymore. If I do it's some chips or something, I'm still in my calorie limit. So it's not really problematic.
  • i get iron cravings which i eat liver or spinich for and i drink alot on sugar free crodial (squash) for the sweet tooth it works surprisingly well.
  • faithikins
    faithikins Posts: 679 Member
    Beat a man up- burns a ton of calories and is often better than chocolate.
    :laugh: :drinker:
  • Meggie_pooh
    Meggie_pooh Posts: 316 Member
    Hi Hunny....I just went thru this last week, so lemme give u my tips! Fake out ice cream! Sugar free cool whip and sugar free instant pudding with a few dribbles of skim milk to mix it all together smoothly, then freeze for 2 hours! Also Nutella on a rice cake is AWESOME! I am also one for sugar free hot chocolate (Made by swiss miss) As for the salty, I have been eating the Quakes mini rice cakes kettle corn flavored or salt and pepper flavored. If u go by serving size, it's only 110 cals. hope that helps!
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Honestly? I give in and eat a little bit more then normal the week before. I don't go hog wild or anything.....but I do often go over a little and it hasn't effected my weight at all. How much are you going over each day?
  • kkwellness
    kkwellness Posts: 55 Member
    I gave in this past week as it was PMS too- its just too hard and honestly as a dieter i know your body will kick into gear when you give it a few cheat days if you are plateuing.
  • shander7
    shander7 Posts: 613 Member
    for the salt you could always make zucchini chips too, they were surprisingly good when I tried them!
This discussion has been closed.