Want to run, but embarrassed

Options
So, I know running is GREAT exercize, and I would LOVE to start. But....I'm not good at running, and know that I would need to take lots of breaks, especially in the beginning. I feel that I would be embarrassed with people looking at me like "wow, she sucks." You know? Any suggestions? I live in a "city-ish" area, and there are always houses around.

Thanks!

Replies

• BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Forget what other people think. Do they pay your bills? Buy your food? I mean really. I could give 2 farts about others and their opinions about me and what I look like.

You have to get the same mentality. If you want to run, run. Everyone has to start somewhere and I bet the fastest women/man in the world wasn't that great in the very beginning.

I didn't want to run in the beginning because I knew my junk in my trunk would jiggle, but ummm isn't that one of the reason I would want to run?

Look. Just do you. Put on your Ipod and let the worries of the world to cease to exist.

Get your run on!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Just dont worry about it,I really dont think people will be paying all that much attention.And reaslly who cares what other people think.You doing something good for you thats all that matters.:heart:
  • daniface
    daniface Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    aww, dont feel embarassed!!!

running is about you and the road go for it girl, dont feel intimidated.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Personally when I see people attempting to excercise I think "good for them!" Most people won't judge you negatively and the few that do, are total losers! Don't let your fears stop you from running, go for it hun!
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    LOL I am the same way. I just got new running shoes (Asics) but I am scared to run. Not sure if it is embarrassment or fear of failure that is preventing me from getting my butt out there.
  • mixmastermolly
    Options
    Don't worry about it! We are our own worst critic. People don't think about you as much as you think they do. And if they do remember this, "When you judge someone it doesn't define who they are, it defines who you are." Let them judge! You're getting healthy for you and no one else. If you can only run for 10 seconds and then walk for 5 minutes and then do it all over again then at least you're starting!
  • SweetPandora
    SweetPandora Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Like Nike says "Just do it"!

Start out walking and run a block and walk, or run from one light post to the next and then walk for one or two light posts.

We all have to start somewhere.

Who cares what others think!

For what it's worth whenever I see people out running/walking/cycling I always think to myself ^5 for them they are doing it!

Karen
  • erinjoy002
    erinjoy002 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    you may find when there are people around you might push yourself to go farther. That's what happens to me! If you need to stop for a break... do it! They dont' know how long or fast or far you have been running, and who cares what they think!
  • blh_1010
    blh_1010 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    If you feel really awkward about (trust me I was there with ya) just start at home. Try Leslie Sansone (wakling DVD's) to build up your immunity to walking at a fast pace and putting jogging in there at times too. Then after about a month of her (after you've lost all this weight - because trust me, you will when you walk with her at home) go out for a short jog around the block...you won't feel as self conscience because you know that you can at least last that long, then every day try for a bit longer. If you want also do sprints for 30 seconds and then walking for 1 min, then back to sprinting for 30 sec. People will understand you are doing intervels and see that you are doing great :) I bet you can do this! :) and you will be faboulous! :)
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Personally when I see people attempting to excercise I think "good for them!" Most people won't judge you negatively and the few that do, are total losers! Don't let your fears stop you from running, go for it hun!

I agree completely. Running is great and a lot of fun. Everyone starts somewhere. I couldn't do much when I first started running either. You quickly forget about others and just focus on the activity. Check out Couch to 5K as a beginner program to get you started.

Good Luck and Enjoy!
  • cls413
    cls413 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I used to feel that way going to the gym, but then I decided I just needed to forget what everyone else might think. Why should I let anyone else - especially people I don't even know - stop me from reaching my goals?

I really hope you can get out there and at least give it a try, but if you really are too self-conscious, you could always try driving to a more secluded area and then running there. If there's no secluded areas near you, maybe just a different neighboorhood, where you don't know anyone, would help to get over the fear.
  • morawjo
    morawjo Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way...I live in a busy area...and I didn't want people gawking at the fatty huffing and puffing around the block...lol. I have a treadmill in my basement...so I've been starting to put it to good use and no longer using it as a clothes hanger/dust collector. I've downloaded the Couch25K on my phone and am in week 1...I blast my beats in the basement and run as idiotically as I want and have no critics to watch.
  • ChelseaRW
    ChelseaRW Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Pound the pavement sweetie! I started last year and would jog half a block, walk half., etc. jog a block, run a block. The point is starting and within just a few days you will be suprised by yourself at your increased stamina! Each day , you push your self just a little farther, even if it is just a few blocks. (I made it a game...this time I will go to that house...when I got there I'd see if I could go to the next one!) I think you will find that anyone who may be watching is wishing they had the gumption to do what you are doing! Head out, you will thank yourself for it!
  • Erica9903
    Options
    So, I know running is GREAT exercize, and I would LOVE to start. But....I'm not good at running, and know that I would need to take lots of breaks, especially in the beginning. I feel that I would be embarrassed with people looking at me like "wow, she sucks." You know? Any suggestions? I live in a "city-ish" area, and there are always houses around.

Thanks!

If you want to run then run. Google the Couch to 5k and print it off or download the app to your smart phone if you have one and take off!! It's a program that teaches couch potatoes to run a 5k (3.1 miles) in 30 minutes. It's a 9 week program and starts off very slow...I'm starting ot the first of March. Thare's actually a thread on here with a whole group of people starting the same day as a form of support and motivation. Lace up those running shoes and join us!!! :flowerforyou:
  • mfkfoster
    mfkfoster Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Why care what people think? I use to be the same way but you know what I just finished walking a 5K. And I feel awesome about it. Almost everyone was running it. I just stayed to the right out of people's way and walked! I did it in under and hour.
    If you want to run then run. who cares! If they have a problem it's their problem! You are working on bettering yourself and maybe they should be bettering themselves. Like getting an attitude adjustment! That's how I feel!
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Forget what other people think. Do they pay your bills? Buy your food? I mean really. I could give 2 farts about others and their opinions about me and what I look like.

You have to get the same mentality. If you want to run, run. Everyone has to start somewhere and I bet the fastest women/man in the world wasn't that great in the very beginning.

I didn't want to run in the beginning because I knew my junk in my trunk would jiggle, but ummm isn't that one of the reason I would want to run?

Look. Just do you. Put on your Ipod and let the worries of the world to cease to exist.

Get your run on!

Best answer! :flowerforyou:
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    30 yr old guy, 6'3, 440ish lbs. when I started, moobies (boobs on a man = moobies) that'd make other girls jealous. didn't care what others thought. I never cared. who cares? go out there and move!
  • Star1ing_Dar1ing
    Options

Like Nike says "Just do it"!

Start out walking and run a block and walk, or run from one light post to the next and then walk for one or two light posts.

* Thats a brilliant way to go about it ...

I used to find somewhere secluded and out of the way because i was embarrassed about running in the streets - but that can be dangerous early hours of the morning or at dusk ....
  • gdunn55
    gdunn55 Posts: 363
    Options

Thanks!

My grandpa gave me the best advice years ago before he left this world when I worried about what people would think.. "Screw'em, who cares what they think, you do your thing and let them worry about how they're living."

The best thing if you want to start running is not to just go off the deep end and run 15 miles your first day. Take your time, build your endurance. I love doing timed runs. Set a goal for yourself. Utilize the couch to 5k if you want a good way to get to running. Buy a stop watch and start out easy, walk for 2 minutes and jog for 2 minutes, and continue doing that for 30 minutes. Then every week increase the running part.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Ok... You cant think about that. First when you are out there burning your fat away and they look out the window and see you take a break. Who is better? You are!, they aren't doing crap. They are in their house watching wheel of fortune or something. You're out there doing it and getting it done and in 3-6 weeks you will be running around there like a gazelle.

Never be ashamed of your fitness level its what makes people quit. Dont be a quitter be a winner!