This is not good.....

Options
I am really feeling like a failure. I know it is my fault, I have no one else to blame. I am super frustrated and dont know how to get out of this rut. Before Christmas, I was doing really good. I was working out, logging everything and i lost 4 pounds. But after Christmas, it all went down hill. I was busy with family coming to visit, the kids, being sick, etc. I quit exercising, quit logging, and quit losing. I have gained everything back and then some. To top it off, my husband deployed a few weeks ago and I have been kind of using that as an excuse. I keep saying im gonna workout, but i dont. Because he is not here, the kids and i eat out alot and i dont feel like cooking. If we are not eating out, we are eating whatever i can find that is quick and easy. This is not good for my health and cant be good for theirs either. I found our recently that i have high cholesterol. Im 30 years old and i have high cholesterol! When the doctor told me that, I was seriously shocked. I couldnt believe that I had high cholesterol. But when i think about what i eat and put into my body, I guess i really shouldnt be all that surprised. I really want to lose the weight before my husband comes home. I really need some motivation. I feel like i need to jumpstart this weight loss thing. Should i do a cleanse? Is that really healthy? I bought fruits and veggies yesterday and i am determined to eat healthier. I guess I need some ideas for motivation and maybe ways to jumpstart my weightloss.

Replies

• charityateet
    charityateet Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    You are taking a big step right now! Good for you! You can get back on track, just be acountable for your actions - you know how to do it, just do it!

I wouldn't reccomend a cleanse right now, I would opt for trying to keep up with the food entry and eating clean for a couple weeks, try to get in some exercise - and in a few weeks maybe do a cleanse. The thing is, after taking time off you are just going to get discouraged and hungry (in my oppinion) if you jump right into a cleanse - and have a likely chance of cheating.

You can friend me, I'll help keep you on track.
  • mkbconcina
    Options
    I understand what you just all mentioned here. Try doing small exercise time again and little by little increase it. Not going to they gym for 2 consecutive days feels like 2 weeks to me so I could just imagine how you are feeling.
  • niki1027
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I'll send you a friend request!
  • littlelionesslove
    Options
    Hey hun...my hubby's military, too and I know it sucks when they leave!! I would just start eating healthier (like you said you're buying healthy foods so that's awesome) and then start back to exercising. I know I'm a lot happier when I exercise daily! You've got your hands full to be sure...I don't have kids and it's hard enough. Good luck and I know you can do it!!
  • 4Matt
    4Matt Posts: 26
    Options
    I think it's easiest with small steps...don't do anything extreme! Change your eating habits...introduce more fruits & veggies, start logging everything again, & start exercising. I think it would be great to find activities you & the kids can do together. My friend looks up for free activites- bike riding, dancing, etc.- that her & her daughter can do together.
    Maybe buy a new dress for when your husband comes home. Use that as a motivation for making the changes & keep going.
    My fiance is in the Coast Guard reserves & I'm learning the "military life". I understand it can be hard at times. I'm here if you need to vent or chat!
  • Daisy374
    Daisy374 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I have hit those ruts too and gained weight that I worked hard to get off. I know how frustrating it is and how bad it can make you feel about yourself. However, I don't think you should do a cleanse. You just got waylaid a little but don't beat yourself up about it. That will just continue to make you feel bad about yourself. Focus on the present and pick up from where you are now. Once you get used to doing it again, it will get easier. Don't give up :)
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I have a similiar situation where I had lost about 5 pounds before christmas and gained 8 back. Frustrating!!!! I could not get motivated. Over the past month I put my exercise clothes at the foot of my bed, pulled out some exercise DVDs, started buying healthier food but until this past Tuesday I hadn't done a thing. I too went to the Doctors a week ago and he said my blood pressure was high and it was most likely due to my weight. My blood pressure has never been high. Finally I just had a good talking to myself and said you need to do this for YOU! Stop the nonsense. So I waited unitl after Valentine's day (just in case I got some chocolates-I didn't) and on Tuesday and Wednesday of this week did 45 minutes of exercise and I'm actually excited to do it today. I think I was just a little down with the economy and the weather. I can't imagine how you feel with your husband away. You can do this. Just start today even if it's a 10 minute walk. That's what i said I would do, nothing crazy just walk for 10 minutes. Well you know once you start walking it feels good and 10 minutes turned into 45. I feel much betther now that I started and I know I can keep it up. You can too!!
  • Cherrycandy
    Options
    I will say this from my own personal experience...WRITE DOWN EVERYTHING YOU EAT ON HERE! I have taken diet pills, got very motivated then went right back to my old habits, went to the gym then quit....BUT... EVERYTIME I write down anything that goes into my mouth, I lose weight. I think when you know that you have to write down everything you eat, you dont want to have to put down anything that looks bad or put down 100 items. I think it kinda guilts you into eating better. It's a trick that has really worked for me anytime I have ever done it. Besides, the biggest way to lose weight is to cut calories. Period. You can do it!!!! You seem very smart and you are very pretty, besides it sets a good example for your kids. I'm not sure how long your husband will be gone, but just imagine when he sees you after you lose weight and are more healthy? Not only will he be proud of you, but men are very visual if you know what i'm saying ; )
    Take my advice and write it all down.....if you think "Man, if I eat this burger or cake, I HAVE to write it down and then i'm gonna feel like crap"!, it works better than you think. Don't feel bad if you have yo-yo'd with dieting, we all have, it just happens.
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    You are on the right track. Seeking support, getting the right foods, you are in the right mindset to change. The important thing is that you are teaching your kids to have a healthy relationship with food. Not only is it healhier to eat at home, its cheaper and you can even make it into something to do with the kids - have them help prepare dinner once a week or something.

You can friend me and get ideas from my diary. Also, get the weight watchers cookbook - its delicious and quick receipes that are healthy and nutritious.

Good luck :)
  • david9kelly
    Options
    Regarding the high cholesterol thing ..... start eating healthy and that should go down. I recently dropped 80lbs using a local weight loss center and in that 5 month span, my cholesterol dropped from upper 200's to all normal levels. Keep up the hard work, we are all rooting for ya!!!
  • Carolyn204
    Carolyn204 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you! I am just not motivated right now, and when I do get motivated, it only lasts a few days. I just ordered Jillian Michaels' 30 day shred, and I am going to force myself to do it. Even if I am having trouble staying within my calorie limit some days, if I can do the workouts it should make up for it. (I hope!)

I also had high cholesteral last time it was checked. A friend told me to start taking CoQ10 and Red yeast rice, and said that it helped her mother-in-law go from high to well within normal in only a month. I am taking it, and go back to the doctor in a couple of weeks and will have him re-do the test to see if it is helping. I figure it is worth a try though, and along with my efforts to eat healthier, hopefully it will do the trick.
  • fitmomma23
    fitmomma23 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling all to well of just wanting to find the great motivation, but I just couldn't hold on to it. I think eventually it just kicks in BUT for me a huge motivator was taking a picture of myself in a bikini (or something revealing) and then comparing it to a picture from when you were a weight you felt sexy at. I did that, and I was disgusted with myself. SO! Both pictures are motivators for me, I put them up somewhere I can see them and use them to push myself to keep going! Good Luck, hope you find it in you! I know you know its worth it!!!
  • Rachaely
    Rachaely Posts: 113
    Options
    I am really feeling like a failure. I know it is my fault, I have no one else to blame. I am super frustrated and dont know how to get out of this rut. Before Christmas, I was doing really good. I was working out, logging everything and i lost 4 pounds. But after Christmas, it all went down hill.

OMG. I couldn't describe myself any better. I am having the same problem and it is SO frustrating. I'm working out, but not hard enough, and my diet is HORRIBLE - I mean I'm not even dieting! I'm eating like I normally would. I feel the same way, like I need a jump start or something to get me back in the swing of things. I, too also thought of a cleanse but cooking for another person would make that very hard!

Hopefully we can help each other out!
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    What about planning a menu for a week (or month) at a time? I try to do a month at a time and it helps with the "what are we having tonight?" problem. I don't mind cooking -I just HATE figuring out what to make. Plus, it helps when I can go grocery shopping for what I need to buy so I can actually make meals with it. Maybe make a list of stand-by meals that you and kids will eat, then just plot them out. Even if they aren't the healthiest things: 1) it's better than eating out, 2) you can figure out healthier ways to make them (whole wheat pasta, leaner cuts of meat, baking/grilling instead of frying, draining the fat off ground beef before you use it).

I don't do a plan for lunch, but that;s because I usually have left overs from the night before that I can bring to work (I plan sun-thur to be something I like left overs of).

If it works for you, do the same thing for snacks and then prep fruits/veggies when you have time 1 day.

As for working out, I like to workout so I don't have a problem fitting it. Getting up and doing it right away in the morning makes it easier for me to fit it in, but if I can't get up, I come home from work and change into my workout clothes right away - it's usually all the motivation I need.
  • niki1027
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! your support and advice means alot to me! I am going to take this one day at a time. Since the hubby wont be home for another 5 months, i do have time to get this weight off. I really want to do this for me and for him. I want to see that proud look on his face when he sees me for the first time! So today my goal is to do a 10 minute walk. Ive already filled in my food diary for the day to see where i am calorie wise and im gonna increase my exercise a few minutes each day. I ordered some new Leslie Sansone videos too. I have several but maybe the excitement of new videos will be an added motivator for me!
  • shaheerahs
    shaheerahs Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You are in the same busy as me. I am 30 too and I found out at the beginning of the year that I have high cholesterol and diabetes. We are both way too young for this. Remembering that eating to much fast food and junk is what made me sick motivates me to stock to a healthy diet. I actually found that I like exercising, it helps with stress.