Gas shortage frenzy in North Carolina!!!

Options
I heard on the radio that there is going to be a gas shortage, thanks to Ike, and that the local gas stations are asking you to limit your consumption to 10 gallons of their now $4+ gasoline.

I'll admit, I freaked a little bit. I have less than a quarter tank in my gas-guzzling Jeep.

Called the hubby, told him to get his gas-saving Honda Accord to a gas station and FILL UP ASAP. No word back from him.

Coworkers talking about how cars are lined up at gas stations, lines spilling out into the roadways.

Talked to my mom, who was next in line at the gas pump after waiting 30 minutes!!

SHEESH.

Why does the media whip up such frenzy????

PS- Should I use my lunch break to go get gas instead of working out? :frown:

Replies

• Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I heard on the radio that there is going to be a gas shortage, thanks to Ike, and that the local gas stations are asking you to limit your consumption to 10 gallons of their now $4+ gasoline.

I'll admit, I freaked a little bit. I have less than a quarter tank in my gas-guzzling Jeep.

Called the hubby, told him to get his gas-saving Honda Accord to a gas station and FILL UP ASAP. No word back from him.

Coworkers talking about how cars are lined up at gas stations, lines spilling out into the roadways.

Talked to my mom, who was next in line at the gas pump after waiting 30 minutes!!

SHEESH.

PS- Should I use my lunch break to go get gas instead of working out? :frown:
  • Kaybay37
    Options
    Whoa! I'm just north of you in Virginia and I haven't heard anything about it. 30 minutues?! :noway:

Umm, maybe I better venture out and see if there's gas to be had. I'm on E, of course.:sad:

Again...whoa!
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    Holy crap!
  • JeremyInvincible
    JeremyInvincible Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Same in Boone. People are freaking out, and the stations have imposed voluntary 10 gallon limits. They claim it is due to shortages in the southeast.
  • ladywalkalot
    ladywalkalot Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I am in GA and have heard the same things...but nothing to that effect here......good thing 'cause i was running on fumes taking the kids to school!
  • emikarls
    emikarls Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I filled up yesterday at 3.56 in Raleigh. I just called my husband and told him to fill up on the way home. People are lined up like crazy at a gas station for 3.31....the news just covered it. Insane!:angry:
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options

To sell you $4+ gas. We up here in Nebraska have heard tale of this gas hike, but our station only gets gas in like once a week and prices won't go up until they actually have to buy the more expensive gas. I've heard in NY that it is reaching the $5 mark.
  • Rebecca1234
    Options
    When I went to one of the buildings on campus, nearly everyone was on the phone telling their friends/significant others/family about it. My granny told me so that I could pass the message to my mom. Why she couldn't tell her directly is beyond me!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    Finally talked to hubby. He filled up, regular priced gas at $3.53. Took him 30 minutes to make it through the lines as well.

Before and after Hurricane Katrina, the same thing happened in these parts, with runs on the gas station. Hubby and my pregnant self were stationed near St Louis, Missouri. Our gas on base was $1.50 - $1.80, no worries about shortages. My friends back home in NC were emailing me, telling horror stories of lines at gas stations, gas hitting $3.50 a gallon, and stations running out of fuel.:noway:

I guess I should expect this.

If there is a small chance of snow in these parts, the masses run to the store, and leave not a loaf of bread nor gallon of milk to be found. :laugh:

But seriously, this isn't happening anywhere else right now???
    Not even in our neighbor to the north, Virginia??
  • emikarls
    emikarls Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Fellow NC'ers :
    Gov. Mike Easley on Friday implemented the state's price-gouging law as gas prices jumped amid fears that Hurricane Ike would cripple U.S. refining capacity.
  • RedCurls
    Options
    Same here in East Tennessee. My husband went last night to fill up and I filled up this morning. I got lucky and got my gas for 3.50 but I have heard that it is going to hit 5 bucks around here. We can't afford gas as it is... I don't know what we are going to do now...
  • connieq288
    connieq288 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    I got gas last night and in NC and it took me over 20 minutes. It was 3.79 then now it is 4.79. A whole 1.00 raise. IT should be against the law to do that. That is just crazy.
    I live on the top of a fricken mountain. I am going to have to be stuck here for days to wait out this stupid gas thing.

Connie
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    Same here in East Tennessee. My husband went last night to fill up and I filled up this morning. I got lucky and got my gas for 3.50 but I have heard that it is going to hit 5 bucks around here. We can't afford gas as it is... I don't know what we are going to do now...

I don't think I have enough gas left in my Jeep to WAIT in a 30 minute line to even get more gas!
    I made sure hubby filled up so we can park the Jeep over the weekend, maybe longer if we have to. :ohwell:

PS- I may drive a Jeep, but I have a short daily commute. 25 miles, roundtrip. Wanted to throw that out there. I try to be GREEN! Um, Eco-Green. This green
    >:sick: is how gas prices make me feel though!
  • tamazinglee
    tamazinglee Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'm in Massachusetts and the 12 o'clock news told us to get our gas now because prices will increase by fifty cents a gallon tomorrow.
  • Juliebean
    Options
    It's rumored to have already hit the $5 mark in parts of Michigan where I live. I got it for $3.67 on Monday and was happy to pay that!
  • RedCurls
    Options
    I work for my parents business, which is a produce business. We deliver fruits and veggies to schools, restaurants, hotels, stores etc... Right now we have not raised prices because of the gas but if it gets too bad I bet we will have to and that will send raised prices right to the consumer. I think they should freeze the prices! Not only is gas going to be crazy expensive but everything else will be too!
  • connieq288
    connieq288 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Not only that, it takes one day for it go up and then they take weeks or even months to bring the price back down.
  • SuzieQT
    SuzieQT Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm in Asheville, NC and what little gas is left has now reached $4.75 a gallon. (It was $3.67 yesterday.) A friend of mine said it was $4.99 in Murphy, NC, jumping $1.28 from yesterday's price.
    The wholesale price of gas has only gone up around 20 cents on the gallon. I highly recommend either not buying or buying very little if you can help it. The price gouging is ridiculous! :mad:
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    I swear, every time there is a hurricane, regardless of where it heads, it gives Big Oil and the other powers that be another B.S. excuse to raise gas prices. I can't even afford to drive my car! I have family thirty miles to the north of me, that I haven't seen in months because I don't have the gas money to go.

It's pretty bad when you have to choose between putting gas in your car and paying bills. We are being priced right out of business!!
  • monica5237
    Options
    my boss sent me an email today that was telling us about a shortage on gas and that it might be up to 5 a gallon here in fort worth texas. i am filling up when i get off work