heart rate and calories burned

fitmom4ever
fitmom4ever Posts: 130
edited September 24 in Health and Weight Loss
I just can't seem to get my heart rate up while I am working out. I am 23 years old, 5'5" small framed and 120 (yay me, down 8 pounds since joining). I can be running the fastest my treadmill at home will go (5.5 mph) and sweating my butt off, but my heart rate will stay between 80 and 90. Even at the gym on the better equipment I will run 7 mph with an incline of 8 and 60% resistance and feel like I'm about to die, and the highest my heart rate gets is 120. I don't know why this is or if it is healthy. I am also wondering if there is a link between this and the fact that I will only burn between 150 and 200 calories per 20 - 30 minute workout. I see other people with similar workouts that will burn almost 3 times as many calories. What am I doing wrong? The weight is coming off and I am really more concerned with toning and general health, being in shape now. Is it healthy that my heart rate is so low?

Replies

• thoffmann02
    thoffmann02 Posts: 3 Member
    Could it be a problem with the heart rate monitor you are using? If you are using the same one all the time, have someone else try yours and see what results they get.
  • fantm
    fantm Posts: 87 Member
    My friend has this problem, and I think it's because she truly has nothing extra to burn. She's like 5'8" and 98 lbs - I think she's got an eating disorder... but her HRM only shows her maxing out at like 80.

At 5'5" and 120, you are probably where you should be. Maybe you're just really in shape!
  • yyzdnl
    yyzdnl Posts: 127 Member
    How are you taking your heart rate have you tried checking in manually?

Are you on any medications? If so look them up on net it may be a side effect. I was on atenolol and my heart rate wouldn't go over 120.

Hopefully others can help you out or check with your doctor.
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    I would burn more calories in your workout because I am heavier. That explains why some people's calorie burns seem huge compared to yours. Are you using a heart rate monitor? If not, consider investing in one. There is definitely a link in your heart rate and calories burned, but I don't see you doing anything wrong. It is just the fact that it gets harder to lose the smaller you get. I would go to the doctor if I were you with your concerns. He/she will be able to answer them best about your heart rate and what you can do to get your heart rate up during a workout. Good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • whouwannab
    whouwannab Posts: 350 Member
    I am 35, 5'4 and 118 lbs. According to MFP I burn 184 calories for 25 minutes of circuit training, which is what I consider the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. I do not have a HRM and would like to get one that would also show calories burned to see how the numbers compare to MFP.
  • Thanks for the suggestions. Extra note: I am not on any medications. Also, I don't have a HRM right now, but have been using the ones on the gym equipment and my treadmill. Each of the different machines I use show the same results, so I don't think it is faulty equipment either. The idea that I may actually be in really good shape is very much appreciated, but I have very little muscle definition right now, and that is what I am looking for. I would accept gaining pounds if that meant looking more like Jillian.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    There could be many causes of this. Make sure the Heart Rate Monitor is accurate by trying to take your pulse manually, or if the treadmill has an on demand heart rate measure by gripping some handles of something, see if that matches up to your heart rate monitor. Second, as mentioned, certain medications such as beta-blockers will regulate heart rate. I am on a beta-blocker and at times it will hinder my heart rate from going up. If your heart rate monitor seems accurate based on manually checking your pulse or the heart rate monitor on the machine you are working out on, I would check with your doctor. I don't think it would be anything major, but I would rather have it checked out rather than find out later when it may be worse. BTW, even things like hydration can effect this, so giving an answer without a lot more information would be difficult.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    You answered while I was typing my reply. In that case, check with your doctor.
  • Thanks all! A HRM is on the top of my wish list now & I have made an appointment to see my dr in early March. Thanks for the info, I didn't realize that calorie burns were custom to each person rather than each activity. Keeping that in mind I will just workout to the best of my ability & be happy with the results that I get. And hope the dr tells me my heart is super healthy :heart:
This discussion has been closed.