What am I doing wrong? Suggestions?

Options
2»

Replies

• Solomonre0
    Solomonre0 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Too few calories! I think I read somewhere that you need to eat at least 1400 calories a day... but I could be wrong on that. However, with the amount that you are currently consuming you would be considered anorexic.

Kickboxing 4-6 a week! You rock! I hear that's an intense work out!

So go ahead, enjoy food a little more, and you'll see the weight come off :smile:
  • honeyrabbit
    Options
    I agree with what the majority of people have already said. For the amount of exercise you're doing you're definitely not eating enough.

We have it drummed into us that eat less and do more = weight loss
    From experience i've found this not to be true IF the amount of calories you're consuming is not enough to fuel your general day to day activity PLUS the addition of exercise.

If there isn't enough fuel to give you the energy to do all this activity then your body will try to find another way of getting what it needs i.e taking it's energy stores from your muscle mass instead of your fat stores. Your body is doing what it's designed to do and protecting itself.

For a whole year prior to joining this site I was an absolute exercise fiend and rarely ate more than 1200 calories a day. I'm about 48 pounds overweight so I had lots of stored fat BUT in that whole year I only lost around 5 pounds.

I joined this site in late January/early February this year and basically used all the forums and the experiences of others to re-educate myself.

I was reluctant at first but I cut back on my cardio a little, incresed my strength training and INCREASED my calorie intake and ALSO started to eat back at least half of my exercise calories.....................and low and behold in just over two weeks i've lost 7 pounds (my ticker says 4 but am due to weigh in tomorrow and have already had a peak at the scales!!)

In Summary, I think your body is in starvation mode and it just needs a bit of a kickstart!
    Good luck..i'm sure you'll reach your goal with the help and support of some of the amazing people on here.
  • MssMia
    MssMia Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone. These are GREAT! I'm still pretty new to this whole thing, but trying to make it work.

I really don't think I'm eating too few calories, only because I know my body very well and I have literally NO metabolism. It takes me days to digest food! What goes in, almost never comes out-- I know, too much info there, but in all seriousness, it's a big concern of mine.

I was eating 12-1500 cals a day, on top of the great exercise, and still saw no weight loss--which is why I cut the calories down to 750-1000. But someone suggested that alcohol may be the culprit. I know that it definitely has an impact, but 1-3 beers, 1-3 times a week? Would that really prevent my body from burning off these love handles? I'm considering it...

Also, maybe my body hasn't "switched on" yet, so to speak? I've only been into these habits for the past three months or so. (since Thanksgiving). Maybe in another month I'll start seeing the weight fall off?

For a 23 year old, I didn't think it would take this long to see at least 10 pounds come off!
  • aeryn69
    aeryn69 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    To echo everyone else, you're not eating enough calories.

I've got a blog post on this, but to summarize:
    - Calories are your body's FUEL. They're what your body needs to keep running and to survive.
    - Think of calories and your body like a bank. You've got a certain amount of money (fat) stored up in the bank. Under normal circumstances your body has all kinds of "bills" to pay every day - breathing, pumping blood, immune system, all those things we take for granted. The greater the difference between what you're expending and what you're taking in, the harder your body has to work to try and get the energy from your stored fat. But when you start talking about big differences like that, over a prolonged period of time, your body starts looking for various way to keep energy expenditures down, like by running your systems less efficiently. That means you're now not only increasing your chances of suffering illness, but you're also decreasing your chances of losing weight.

Please read my post on this:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/aeryn69/view/the-great-calorie-misconception-64913
  • nickij274
    nickij274 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm enjoying reading all these posts - its really informative. I finally figured out today that I've been eating my 1200 calories but then also burning about 4-500 so my net calories are obviously under the 1200. Technically from what i'm reading this isn't enough but I've lost ten pounds so do i keep doing what i'm doing or should I eat the extra calories?
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone. These are GREAT! I'm still pretty new to this whole thing, but trying to make it work.

I really don't think I'm eating too few calories, only because I know my body very well and I have literally NO metabolism. It takes me days to digest food! What goes in, almost never comes out-- I know, too much info there, but in all seriousness, it's a big concern of mine.

I was eating 12-1500 cals a day, on top of the great exercise, and still saw no weight loss--which is why I cut the calories down to 750-1000. But someone suggested that alcohol may be the culprit. I know that it definitely has an impact, but 1-3 beers, 1-3 times a week? Would that really prevent my body from burning off these love handles? I'm considering it...

Also, maybe my body hasn't "switched on" yet, so to speak? I've only been into these habits for the past three months or so. (since Thanksgiving). Maybe in another month I'll start seeing the weight fall off?

For a 23 year old, I didn't think it would take this long to see at least 10 pounds come off!

It sounds to me like you need to see a professional for your issues, your digestive problems included.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I'm enjoying reading all these posts - its really informative. I finally figured out today that I've been eating my 1200 calories but then also burning about 4-500 so my net calories are obviously under the 1200. Technically from what i'm reading this isn't enough but I've lost ten pounds so do i keep doing what i'm doing or should I eat the extra calories?

It's up to you. Higher burns do require more calories for fuel, so keep in mind that if your body is beginning to feel fatigued suddenly, it's because of too much of a deficit. Do what feels comfortable. I'm not going to tell you what is or isn't the "right" thing to do, but logically maintaining a healthy deficit is beneficial for weight loss with minimal to no negative recourse.

@TC - 1000 calories of intake is probably the minimal amount of calories you should eat just for proper brain and body function. Obviously, it's possible to still be alive and moving with a lower amount, but if you're not noticing anything happening, and you say you've tried 1200 - 1500/day, but for how long? Give yourself 2 weeks minimum with intake changes to see if there's a weight shift. Also...what exactly are you eating? 750 - 1000 calories of sodium-laden saturated fatty foods? Alcohol? Vegetables? Technically calories are calories, but a lot of the time the kinds of food your body would use for fuel depends on how it can affect your metabolism for weight loss, which includes how often you eat throughout the day.

Lastly, just be patient. Yes, give it another month. Drink more water and all of the obvious suggestions you've most likely heard and know, but those "common" suggestions are common because they tend to work more often than not.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options

Well, who are you going to listen to? People who have successfully lost a lot of weight, like Anubis who's lost 128 lbs, or yourself, who has not lost anything?
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options

Well, who are you going to listen to? People who have successfully lost a lot of weight, like Anubis who's lost 128 lbs, or yourself, who has not lost anything?

Aww, that's mad love right there, toots. To be neutral about it, TC posted that prior to my initial post, but seeing as how she's "still pretty new to this whole thing," I'd allow some leeway for error. It's up to them how they wanna do it. I just like leaving options like dropping knowledge seeds for growth. Cultivation is their part.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options

Aww, that's mad love right there, toots. To be neutral about it, TC posted that prior to my initial post, but seeing as how she's "still pretty new to this whole thing," I'd allow some leeway for error. It's up to them how they wanna do it. I just like leaving options like dropping knowledge seeds for growth. Cultivation is their part.

That's true. I wasn't trying to be jerky to MissMia. :flowerforyou: When almost every reply is the same answer, maybe there's some merit to the answer
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Nobody will ever tell you it's healthy to eat less than 1200 calories a day. your body thinks you're starving and is therefore storing the extra fat not burning it. The worst part is that if you do lose the weight on that few calories, you're going to rebound to an even higher weight than before. I've done it and it sucks. Continue to work out but up your calories to at least 1200. don't lose your motivation now that you've been doing it so long with little result. you obviously have the drive it takes!! good job.

Amen!

I have tried the "severe reduction" method. Let me tell you something...IT BACKFIRED! And now it's even HARDER to lose the weight because my body sees any attempt at reducing my caloric intake at all as a means of starving myself!

Get on track, girl!

1200 calories per day + eat back the calories you burned in exercise. It's the ONLY way to safely lose the pounds! It takes time. Yes, it takes A LOT of time. But it will be worth it in the end!
  • More then cardio, girlfriend.

http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/training-articles/why-cardio-alone-doesnt-cut-fat/

This article is really great.

Also, you GOTTA bump those calories up to 1200. at least. Make sure you are eating that amount everyday.
  • HeatherShrinking
    HeatherShrinking Posts: 805 Member
    Options

Sigh... "literally NO metabolism" - well, that is what happens when your body goes into starvation mode. I'm sure you know your body well, but maybe you don't know everything there is to know about it (because if you did you'd be losing weight).

Everyone is telling you the same thing, why not try it? The only thing you have to lose is weight. Plus if everyone is telling you the same thing, there is usually some truth to it.
  • HeatherShrinking
    HeatherShrinking Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    opps... hit save twice.
  • aeryn69
    aeryn69 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to add - I know the "literally no metabolism" problem. I've been there. I've also done the low calorie diet and mad exercise thing. I wouldn't be losing any weight or I'd hit a plateau and think okay well calories are weight right so I need to get rid of those, I need to eat less and exercise more! That's what all the experts say, eat less and exercise more! So that's what I did. Over and over again. Until eventually I was eating 500-800 calories a day (was really happy if I could keep it to 500) and doing 3 hours of exercise every single day. And you know what happened? I didn't lose any more weight. In fact I got sick. I got a cold, then then bronchitis, and then brochial pneumonia and came really really close to ending up in the hospital. At it's worst my throat was so sore, and my breathing so bad, that not was I severely restricted to what I could eat (clear broth and diet jello) but I couldn't exercise, and in 2 weeks I gained back nearly 10 pounds despite the fact that I was taking in almost nothing. I ended up being sick for about 10 months in total.

So believe me, I understand the logic behind what you're thinking and saying. And I'm telling you - don't do it. Eat. Your body will fight you every step of the way if you don't give it the fuel to do what it needs to do.