Gym Dress at the Gym?! What do you wear?

Options

Replies

• Sherri71
    Sherri71 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I think you may be referring to my gym (as I mentioned it earlier today) and there is spandex allowed, just not hot pants (regular shorts are allowed). While I would have liked to be able to wear my nice tank top with the funky neck, I think the policy is to avoid spaghetti straps, belly shirts and sports bras as outerwear... personally, I like the dress code, as I have seen some people really come in wearing less than an American Apparel ad..

that being said - i always wear Joe Fresh capris (cheap and comfortable!) and a Adidas climate-cool kangaroo t-shirt - or just a simple tshirt with my trusty capris...

What gym do you belong to? I've honestly never heard of a dress code at a gym before. But I can see how a bikini would/should be banned, but people should just have common sense!
  • starkiss100
    starkiss100 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Warm-up pants or yoga pants and a t-shirt, sports bra, sports socks and gym shoes.
  • margie_77
    margie_77 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Shannon ~hahahahhahha

I wear yoga pants and a t-shirt right now, but I live in the desert, so come summer time I will be wearing a tank top! With a proper supportive bra of course.

However!!! When I run in 5k's I wear very bright tights and a running skirt! Its so much fun!! :)

This Sat. we are running a double 5k. One in the morning and one at noon. It's supposed to be cold and possibly rainy, so for atleast the morning run, I may have to wear pants :(
  • lucky48
    lucky48 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    When I'm working out on machines I'll wear a Nike t-shirt and black yoga pants. However, if I'm doing Zumba, I have Zumba cargo pants, capris and tank tops. Although I would love to bear my belly as I get really hot and wear cropped shirts, I don't do it out of respect to the other people in the class. If I was going to an instructor convention or an event like that, I might change up my outfit.

I saw another thread on here where someone was wearing a bikini to spinning class - although in triathlon training, I can see how wearing a swimsuit would be beneficial to get used to riding wearing one, I would never wear it to a gym, especially a bikini. That's just gross and disrespectful to others.
  • maggieschuck
    Options
    I usually wear sports bra with 2 tanks or a fitted shirt with yoga pants. I do sweat a lot when I do cardio so I always bring a extra shirt. If im lifting weights them I'll skip the tanks. I don't like the feel of my skin touching the seats. My gym is no jeans, no body building, and must wear a shirt. There are a few girls that have their low rise pants on, hair and make up to the tee. They look like they are trying to look like they are working out.

I picked my gym based on how cheap it was. I was at Any Time Fitness and loved it but its expensive. Now Im at Planet Fitness for 10 a month. I feel like I have no right to judge at that price.
  • C_Bran
    C_Bran Posts: 254
    Options
    t-shirt and shorts. nothing fancy.
  • jamiesgotagun
    jamiesgotagun Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Well, last night in spin class I was wearing my bikini......

j/k :bigsmile:

LOL:laugh: :laugh:
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    I typically wear sleeveless t-shirts and basketball shorts. I picked up a whole mess of them at Target on sale.
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    What gym do you belong to? I've honestly never heard of a dress code at a gym before. But I can see how a bikini would/should be banned, but people should just have common sense!

I go to EnergiCardio (they are only in Quebec) and just to say, the dress code is not a heavy-handed enforced one, I have seen many women in the gym with "sleeveless t-shirts" and yoga shorts and nothing is made of it ... I think it is just that if they feel there are people who are pushing the limits (like the person who showed up in a sports bra as work out wear), then they can enforce the rule - since people know in the beginning that its there.

I live in a large city - there are at least 10 other gyms on the same street that serve a wide range of clientele - from my gym to Gold's - some require you to have a program, others allow free form workouts - in the end, I guess it just depends on what you want / need out of your gym.
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Drifit (nike) or Climalite (adidas) top and capri bottoms (i find i work out more with them, than with long trousers)
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I usally wear a mini skirt some 5 inch platform stripper shoes and a corset
    oh and a hilary clinton mask
    not sure why people keep staring at me..hmm
  • Yarnpiggie
    Options
    My own personal dress code doesn't allow me to wear spandex or tank tops.... ever. (Got caught locked out of my old apartment once in a tank dress and NOTHING else (it was bedtime!)... horrifying having to use my fairly creepy neighbor's phone...yikes)

aaanyway... i wear a t-shirt and capris. Thankfully my sports bra covers well because there have been times when the trainer has had me on the floor and the girls would have been out for all the world to see since my tshirts are a bit big on me. I try not to think about the idea that people can see when that happens...lol
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    capri spandex pants, bra, sports bra (gotta keep the girls in check :wink: ) t shirt and of course socks and shoes. Some gyms have dress codes because they are a "family" atmosphere, I could care less what people wear to the gym, well except the women who wear volleyball shorts with their *kitten* hanging out, I mean check the mirror before leaving because unless it's a really nice *kitten* you need to keep it in check too :laugh:
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options

:laugh:

I wear a pink t-shirt type top, some grey sweat pants and trainers.

When I get fitter I'll be wearing a tank top of sorts and maybe shorts. That's a long way off.
  • outersoul
    Options
    My normal gym attire includes Nike Jordan shorts plus a tshirt. My shoes just depend on what I'm doing and what matches.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options

Better get your junk checked out for the vd, you dirty girl.

We have a dress code that seems like common sense, but a lot of people in this world have no common sense. Basically you have to have closed-toed shoes, no jeans and must be wearing a shirt. duh
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    i normally wear a t shirt, spandex type capris and my adidas designated for the gym
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    However!!! When I run in 5k's I wear very bright tights and a running skirt! Its so much fun!! :)

This Sat. we are running a double 5k. One in the morning and one at noon. It's supposed to be cold and possibly rainy, so for atleast the morning run, I may have to wear pants :(

That is awesome! I may try that for my next race!

I wear knee length fitted workout capris and a ribbed racer back tank over a bra and sports bra.
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I wear what's in my picture. I can't lift seriously with a T-shirt on. I get all tangled up in it. Oh, and I started wearing my Vibrams.
  • lulu_beans
    lulu_beans Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Such a good question! I work out at the Y, not EAC or Bally Fitness. People at the Y are serious about their exercise and less so about their dress. Rarely do you see someone in a cute, matchy match outfit. (secretly I wish I could FIT into one!) One day, soon, though! LOL!

I wear either black spandex shorts or 3/4 length crops, sometimes a T shirt that is too big (so I can move), or a tank top with a sports bra, white ankle socks and my Asicis.

Gotta Love My Y!!!

I wear my Old Navy Yoga pants, and either a t-shirt or tank...depending on my mood...ankle socks and my sneaks.