HCG Diet

Options

Replies

• KellyAJD
    KellyAJD Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My Daughter is doing the HCG and catching a lot of flack. I did the same diet 40 years ago using injections and under Doctors care. I loved it than and am going on the drops next week. I really like seeing so many of you on here with positive responses. I will be checking in daily. Thanks to all of you.
  • mickimause
    Options
    I'm glad to see all the positive responses as well. It's nice to find a place where people don't bash you for doing something a bit different.

A really good friend from work got me started. She's done a few rounds (not sure exactly how many), lost - and more importantly, kept off - a decent amount of weight. Actually saw her for the first time in a couple of months, and couldn't believe the difference!

Good luck to all!
  • KandiLicious
    KandiLicious Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Not so sure why it was so difficult to find this group....but here you are.
    I am on day 7 and I have lost 7 lbs, but the past 2 days I have lost nothing. I am measuring everything and drinking all my water. Anyone else gone through a stand still???
  • kalyrra
    kalyrra Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    To all of you who want to, we have a thread going on HCG and support. There are lots of us there!! So if you're on the HCG diet, and you want some more friends and support, helpful hints and tips, and just good friends, come join us!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/161214-hcg-progress-updates-page-2-for-people-on-it-or-thinking-a?page=19#posts-2361857

To those of you who are skeptical, well, it's your right to be. I didn't do the diet without a ton of research. It does work, and you do keep the weight off IF!! IF IF IF!! you don't go back to your old eating habits. But it's the same for everything, right? Gaining back all the weight doesn't reflect negatively on this diet, it's a reflection of poor self control.... something I myself am very guilty of. The diet is a tool, and it only works when you use it right. It's NOT a solution to your weight issues. Just a tool to help.

I have lost 50 lbs so far. I did gain about 20 back around Christmas time, but that was because I lost my self control, and binged on everything. I have since lost that 20 lbs again.

This diet isn't for everyone. If you don't agree with it, that's fine, it's your life and body. But don't criticize those of us who do use it.
  • trudypickles
    Options
    Interesting, id never heard of this diet, is it only common in the states?....I guess its a diet designed for the obese and therefore on prescription from a doctor only??... the risks of extreme diets in this case may be overridden by the health risk of the excess weight.
    Does it induce morning sickness?? there is a theory that it is the rising levels of the hormone hcg in early pregnancy that causes morning sickness/nausea...just a thought. x
  • nyctraveler
    nyctraveler Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I have a question around the interaction of hcg hormone and birth control pills. Will it screw up the birth control regimen??? Pls let me know if you have any insight
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/truth-about-hcg-for-weight-loss

You lose weight because of the restricted calories, not the hormone. Save your money...
  • humblemonkey
    humblemonkey Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Yeaaa..so when you start eating normal again youre going to put any weight you lost back on in a matter of weeks...and then some. Eating 500 calories a day is very bad idea!!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    This was on Dr. Oz today. The side effects some people are suffering from because of this hormone is crazy. But there is also a lot of people that aren't experiencing anything except weight loss. Do your research. Do not just jump on the bandwagon with your health.

Also if you are doing the drops there is no hormone in them so you are just using a placebo...like when people are given sugar pills. The hormone is govern by the FDA and is by prescription only. So if you are thinking about buying the drops well you may be using something but its not the real HCG hormone. Buyer Beware.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    To all of you who want to, we have a thread going on HCG and support. There are lots of us there!! So if you're on the HCG diet, and you want some more friends and support, helpful hints and tips, and just good friends, come join us!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/161214-hcg-progress-updates-page-2-for-people-on-it-or-thinking-a?page=19#posts-2361857

To those of you who are skeptical, well, it's your right to be. I didn't do the diet without a ton of research. It does work, and you do keep the weight off IF!! IF IF IF!! you don't go back to your old eating habits. But it's the same for everything, right? Gaining back all the weight doesn't reflect negatively on this diet, it's a reflection of poor self control.... something I myself am very guilty of. The diet is a tool, and it only works when you use it right. It's NOT a solution to your weight issues. Just a tool to help.

I have lost 50 lbs so far. I did gain about 20 back around Christmas time, but that was because I lost my self control, and binged on everything. I have since lost that 20 lbs again.

This diet isn't for everyone. If you don't agree with it, that's fine, it's your life and body. But don't criticize those of us who do use it.

Question what is considered old eating habits? You are only eating 500 calories a day. What happens when you stop the hormone and start eating properly? You have to up your calorie intake? Do you do it gradually or do you just jump to 1200 or more calories a month? What does that tell your body? I'm just trying to understand how your body would respond after the fact.
  • jlyn74
    jlyn74 Posts: 21
    Options
    I'm on my third round of homeopathic HCG program. I lost a total of 60 lbs in the first 2 rounds, but gained a little back during vacation & a recent unexpected trip away from home (eating out KILLS!). Before that, I maintained my weight loss with NO PROBLEM. Right now I'm day 3 of phase 2 & I lost 2 lbs after the first night & 3.4 lbs last night!! This does work!!!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

Question what is considered old eating habits? You are only eating 500 calories a day. What happens when you stop the hormone and start eating properly? You have to up your calorie intake? Do you do it gradually or do you just jump to 1200 or more calories a month? What does that tell your body? I'm just trying to understand how your body would respond after the fact.

Basically after round 2 (the weight loss phase) you have 3 weeks of eating anything you want, just no added sugar, no starches, this is Phase 3.

After the 3 weeks of Phase 3, Phase 4 begins. Phase 4 has you to start slowly adding back in sugar and starches to see how much your body can handle.

If you actually eat the proper portions and listen to your body it is very easy to maintain your weight, just like calorie counting.

Also, you have to consider that during phase 2, you may only be physically consuming 500 calories of natural, clean foods; however your body is consuming and using fat for extra calories, there fore it is equivalent of consuming at least 2,000 - 4,000 calories per day.
  • ambrosij
    ambrosij Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    First of all,

To Dr. Oz:

I have reviewed your site and would like to know what the basis of your findings are? You site numerous clinical trials but fail to present any cited information in regards to which clinical trials you are referring to, the sample size of the trials, and the protocols that the trial has abided by. I firmly disagree with your "findings" as I also disagree with the FDA's determination to not clear HCG as a weight loss drug. I am not alone, recently the state of Neveda cleared the way for clinics to legally prescribe HCG for weight loss, and not marely a test booster (HCG is often prescribed to men that are on TRT in order to prevent testicular atrophy). Additionally, HCG is naturally produced in the bodies of pregnant women and is the hormone responsible that allows females to tap into fat reserves to provide nutrients to a fetus. To this date there have been ZERO side effects from the use of HCG as recommened by Dr. Simmeon (I think I spelled that right). Furthermore, while a 500 calorie diet will allow anyone to use weight regardless of hormone use, it will also lead to significant muscle atrophy. Past research, as well as recent trials, and thousands of succesfull users, have proven that if taken according to protocol, the percentage of weight lost from muscle will only be between 2-4%, compare this to nutritionist recommended dieting that will often lead to 10% of weight loss coming from muscle. I will provide some links and some actual citations as well, Im putting them together right now. I have personally had my body fat percentage measured throughout the duration of my use, additionally I have done mild exercise and lifting. My body fat percentage has decreased proportionally to the weight loss (which is 35 pounds in about a month). HCG is a hormone and therefore it can not be patented, which makes marketing very difficult. If there is no money to be made by the drug manufacturers they will continue to lobby to the politicians (the FDA) preventing this hormone from being perscribed for weightloss (in lieu of drugs like Allie which is available over the counter now and has reaped HUGE profits for the manufacturer). HCG has been used since the 50's and used succesfully, thousands of once obese individuals, facing left threating conditions, who may not be able to exercise or take other weight loss medication, have had nothing but success, redefining themselves and their life. Because less muscle mass is lost during this diet, and phase three ends the use of the hormone while introducing a slightly higher caloric diet, if done according to protocol the weight will not be regained. This is a controversial drug, and many Doctors would firmly disagree with Dr. Oz (a TV personality and not a practicing physician).

To those who have something negative to say about HCG: First, I wonder if you truly understand the concept of obesity and how an obses individual can literally starve themselves but not lose any weight. I often find it amusing, and also disappointing when I see someone tell an obese individual "just eat less" or "you just need to exercise more." Research has shown that obese individuals burn calories differently than the average joe, and someone who needs to eat 3000 calories a day to maintain there body weight is at the starving point when they reduce to the normal 1200 calorie diet and then can also seriously injure muscles and joints when they begin a standard exercise routing. My answer to them: You obviously have no idea what it is like to be in those folks shoes. What is remarkable about HCG is that it enables Obese folks to restrict to 500 calories, releases stored fat which is injected to the blood stream as calories, and thus reduces the body fat percentage. The individual is never starving because the calorie intake technically remains constant, this is not true with conventional dieting, the body will need to reduce fat stores and also burn muscle before the "bad" fat stores are released. Because the calories remain constant hunger is virtually eliminated and the 500 calories are merely to keep the digestive system functioning properly. Of course when you are finished with the diet if you return to the same lifestyle of over eating and not exercising you are going to gain it back, so goes the way with any diet...why do you think people remain on weight watchers year after year after year.

HCG works, search you tube for HCG results, HCG has changed the lives of thousands of people. I recommend it to everyone that is overweight, I have used it myself and the results speak for themselves.
  • ambrosij
    Options

Jumping to 1200 calories will really tell your body nothing, in fact it will actually be a reduction of calories from what your body was previously receiving. The HCG is releasing fat stores into the blood stream as calories, as much as needed to operate throughout the day. If your body uses 2000 calories per day and you eat 500, then the HCG would be releasing 1500 calories. When you stop the use of the HCG, there will be maybe a day or two of a residual effect but it quickly leaves your body and eating 1200 calories will actually be a reduction from what your body was currently processing. The reason you only go up to 1200 and not the total that your body actually needs to maintain the weight is because you need to slowly reintroduce foods and calories to allow the digestive system to adapt to having to process that much food. During that third phase sometimes people begin losing weight, and that is dangerous because that weight loss is the fat and muscle that you want to keep, which is why the protocol will recommend a steak dinner if lose more than a couple pounds from what your weight is at the end of your phase II.
  • ambrosij
    Options
    My first round of HCG I was 100% devoted to the 500 calorie diet, I am in the army, I workout every morning, and I felt I could get away with eating a few more. I would commonly eat fruit and veggies or meal replacement "cookies" for breakfast (if I even had time to eat breakfast) and for dinner I often had a Wendy's half a Apple Pecan Chicken Salad (hold the dressing and Pecans) and a small bowl of the wendy's chili...believe it or not this healthy combintation is only like 370 calories. I would say I averaged closer to 800 calories a day. I didnt diet on the weekends, and I made sure my workouts added up to burning 1500 calories per week (pretty average exercising). Less than a month later I lost 30 pounds (started at over 250). My body fat percentage reduced in correlation to my weight loss, which told me I wasnt losing muscle and now I will stay in my maintenance phase for the neccesary amount of time. I do plan on doing another phase, I had used the Homeopathic Drops (purchased from official HCG diet plan) the first time around. This second time around I am going to stick strictly to the protocol and use the injections and then compare the results, my goal is to get down to 170.
  • CLBeans
    CLBeans Posts: 4
    Options
    To the person that wanted a peer-reviewed source
    http://74.125.155.132/scholar?q=cache:7XcTDL8zRJYJ:scholar.google.com/+HGC+Diet&hl=en&as_sdt=0,5

HCG diet is a starvation diet, pure and simple. If a person eats only 500 calories a day, of COURSE he or she is going to lose weight. Thats just common sense. And yes, the weight can be kept off fi the dieter transitions from the starvation phase to a healthy, balanced diet. But in no way is consuming only 500 calories a day for any extended period of time good for your body. That should also be common sense.
    So if you're goal is just to drop weight fast, but not necessarily to properly nourish your body, then have at 'er.
  • HMKan
    HMKan Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Regardless of whether or not its real isn't the question. When your body goes into starvation mode, it stores away what calories you do eat, slowing down your metabolism, thus making it harder to lose weight. I understand its a hormone that's produced in pregnancy, but that doesn't mean a test would come back positive if you're taking the drops. There's a girl in my office who's been on it for 4 weeks and has lost 27 lbs, which is really all i"m looking to lose.

Then you're not really interested in true, sustaining weight loss and a better, healthier way to eat.

Good luck. I'm sure you will be right back here soon enough trying to lose the weight you gain back. And perhaps next time you will take weight loss seriously instead of just looking for a quick fix.

Whoa. Lets be respectful of one another. HCG isn't a weight loss solution, it's a stepping stone (a jumpstart, if you will) into a healthier lifestyle. HCG isn't the lifestyle change, it's just a tool that works for SOME people in helping them begin a new healthier lifestyle. It's a short term assist that many need to jumpstart loss after consistent eating right and exercise stops doing the trick (i.e. after you hit a plateau you can't break out of). This diet lasts about 3 weeks (up to 6, but not longer).

To the OP, there are a lot of really good recipes out there that can give you a ton of really tasty food that will satisfy your cravings. After the first week you shouldn't be feeling hungry. I'm currently finding it hard to eat all the things I'm allowed (making sure I get enough veggies, my fruits and the grissini breadsticks). I do increase the protein portions a little bit so that I can maintain the workout regimen I had prior to beginning this diet.
  • ambrosij
    Options
    I am not doing it but I consider it as my coworker is doing it. She did the first round before Christmas and lost 30lbs and went off of the "plan" over Christmas but still watched what she ate....she gained back 25 of the 30 she lost in less than 2 weeks. She has now started again and is not losing like she did the first round. Good luck!

I highly doubt she "watched what she ate" in fact I am sure she completely disregarded the protocol, didnt exercise, and probably ate all the holiday goodies. So if she usually would gain 15 poiunds over the holiday, since she did HCG before Christmas and loss 30, she was still at a -5 from before the holidays...that a 20 pound weight loss...not bad.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    http://74.125.155.132/scholar?q=cache:7XcTDL8zRJYJ:scholar.google.com/+HGC+Diet&hl=en&as_sdt=0,5

HCG diet is a starvation diet, pure and simple. If a person eats only 500 calories a day, of COURSE he or she is going to lose weight. Thats just common sense. And yes, the weight can be kept off fi the dieter transitions from the starvation phase to a healthy, balanced diet. But in no way is consuming only 500 calories a day for any extended period of time good for your body. That should also be common sense.
    So if you're goal is just to drop weight fast, but not necessarily to properly nourish your body, then have at 'er.

That is where you are wrong. We are eating enough to nourish our bodies properly and the vitamins and minerals that are stored in the fat cells are also being released, therefore lots of nutrients to nourish the body.

The fact that anyone doing the HCG plan (Simeons Protocol) is eating very clean and natural foods sets us up for a lifetime of clean eating after the protocol is complete.

Once you are eating that clean for 9 weeks, you no longer want the junk that is in most foods today.

If you want to continue to count calories, then have at 'er..............

You do what you see fit for you and your lifestyle, just don't judge or belittle someone else because it is different and don't understand the science behind it.
  • ambrosij
    Options

For each of those you present, I could present the same that says the opposite. I find it interesting that the test results and the sample sizes as published in the original reports are very vague and generally were based on "weight loss" and not fat percentage loss. recent studies have shown that fat loss is greater and muscle loss is less. I mean it is pretty simple for even the average person to see that it is fat they are losing and not muscle; just watch the fat percentage drop in correlation with the weight loss. Really if you dont agree with the diet, dont do it, but keep it to yourself, because there are actually people out there that need this help, and your negativity really is pointless. The results, the reviews, and the video blogs speak for themselves, there are no side effects that have been recorded with the use of HCG. Also, I find it interesting that US studies have said one thing and foreign studies say another. We all know how politically motivated the FDA and drug companies in this country are, if there is no money to be made then the drug isnt manufactured or marketed. Do you really think there will ever be a "cure" or a pill for cancer...nope, not in the US anyways. Gotta love lobbyists.