Low sodium and low sugar baking

Options
eating4balance
eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
Healthy baking (low sodium and sugar) questions?

I am an avid baker, and I have managed not to make any cookies, cakes or muffins for about a month, but I want to make something to reward myself, but I don't want to cheat or it to be unhealthy. I have used fruit purees as substitutes in the past with some success, but if you could answer any of my questions that would be great!

1. How do you bake without using baking soda and baking powder? I am not able to get low sodium versions.

2. What is the best natural substitute for sugar in baking recipes (not splenda or any sweetener)? (Like what fruit or concentrate tastes the best?)

3. Any healthy, low sodium, no sugar added (except for fruit) recipes...

4. What is better to use in healthy baking? Oatmeal, whole wheat flour??

5. How do you make them taste good when you are cutting down on fat, sugar and sodium. Any extra recipes or tips?

THANK YOU, and if you need someone to answer your questions, just let me know!

Replies

• ponchita08
    Options
    look at vegan recipes. also, agave nectar and bananas are good sugar subs!
  • Daisygurl7
    Daisygurl7 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I recently made jello cake using white cake mix only mixed with diet 7up, baked it then poured sugar free cherry jello on top and let that chill then topped it light whip cream. IT WAS OUTTA this world!! :)
  • eating4balance
    Options
    Thanks, I had completely forgotten about jello!

Also, I have used bananas in the past. Great ;)
  • mfuoco
    Options
    Prepared jello? Or just the powder?
  • eating4balance
    Options
    You mix the liquid (water) with the jello packet and pour it over the already cooked cake while the jello is still in liquid form.
    Then when it cools it sets and tastes amazing!!
  • live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • btor
    btor Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    bump! I totally need this thread in my life!
  • i_can
    i_can Posts: 11
    Options
    > 1. How do you bake without using baking soda and baking powder? I am not able to get low sodium versions.
    You can get away with using a bit less if you really whip a lot of air into the dough/batter. Your mileage may vary.

> 2. What is the best natural substitute for sugar in baking recipes (not splenda or any sweetener)? (Like what fruit or concentrate tastes the best?)
    I prefer apple juice concentrate for general use, but you can use something different to complement what you're making.

> 3. Any healthy, low sodium, no sugar added (except for fruit) recipes...
    Because I can't eat gluten or eggs, my recipes probably wouldn't appeal to you. However, I recommend looking at a copy of "Secrets of Fat-Free Baking" by Sandra Woodruff for ideas about low-fat baking without processed sugar.

> 4. What is better to use in healthy baking? Oatmeal, whole wheat flour??
    I can't have gluten, so I can't really answer this one for you. I use a lot of super-fine rice flour and xanthan gum.

> 5. How do you make them taste good when you are cutting down on fat, sugar and sodium. Any extra recipes or tips?
    Evaporated skim milk instead of cream works wonderfully. Get good fats by using extra light olive oil instead of veg oil.
  • eating4balance
    Options
    Thanks, I am going to the public library soon and I will look into getting that book.
  • mfuoco
    Options
    how much diet 7 up?