Excessive skin after large weightloss any tips to fix?

Options
Hi all

Im new to MFP but not to weightloss and have lost around 152 pounds (was 155 lost b4 a lil slip up this month but im now back on track) and with that amount of weightloss there is alot of extra skin as you can imagine

Im looking for tips and tricks to tone the skin without surgery

I know exercise helps but skin isnt your muscle and still remains a little saggy even as your muscles tone cause it was so stretched

my arms and legs are slowly going back to a reasonible shape but on my belly is very bad (kinda like the tounge belly scene in the movie click ok not quite that bad but you get what I mean)

It really saddens me because I do not weigh heavy now around 135 pounds but I still look large due to the skin im 167cm tall so my body really should look alot leaner than it does (even though im an hourglass) and its the skin it all puckers up I hate that I can pick it up and shake the skin :(

please any help hints or tricks will all be greatly appreciated

much <3
Tania

BTW Feel free to add me as a friend

Replies

• AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I hear that it takes time, water, exercise, a good vitE moisturiser and patience. But if it really wont go back then its surgery. But give it a year or two before you go drastic. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • itsjustme77
    Options
    Let me know what you find out. I once had lost 180lbs and then gained some back, but now I'm back on track as well.
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Its such a bad feeling knowing you worked your *kitten* off, lost a ton of weight, and still hate your body.

Excess skin is different for every single person. Age, how long you were heavy, how heavy you were, are only a few things that matter. For me, I had a lot of excess skin. I went through a tummy tuck, chest reduction, arm lift, and neck lift. I spent close to 23,000. It was worth every penny though.

Its very hard to get rid of a lot of excess skin without surgery. I'd talk to a few doctors.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above ... give it some time, but if not then spring for the surgery. Its low risk surgery and about a couple thousand dollars -- but well worth it if you can enjoy your fabulous new body that you worked hard for!

And BTW I am sooo proud of you for losing that much weight... you are awesome!
  • dark21
    dark21 Posts: 18
    Options
    Yoga!!!!! Trust me I had the same problem. Plus it's cheaper then a tummy tuck and u can do it in the comfort of Ur own home.
  • TaniaDronsfield
    Options
    thanks everyone

to have the surgery done here in NZ its about $10,000-$14,000 far to much for me

I am always willing to be patient :) had to be to lose the weight in the first place lol :P

I will try some vitamin e cream - thanks Anna
  • brownspicegirl
    Options
    Wow, you guys inspire me, I think the skin has to be removed, I did the lap band and I am trying to keep up with the exercise, I belive that helps initially
  • TaniaDronsfield
    Options
    Yoga!!!!! Trust me I had the same problem. Plus it's cheaper then a tummy tuck and u can do it in the comfort of Ur own home.

I like Yoga :) might concentrate on that as my main form of exercise if it will work - awsome idea ty
  • momogogo
    momogogo Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I agree with Fieldsy. I have done my research. Once your skin stretches time will take care of a little, but the only way to really get rid of it is surgery. Getting ready to plan mine for later this year. Good luck. By the way Lubriderm lotion does help a bit with smoothing out the skin.
  • TaniaDronsfield
    Options
    By the way Lubriderm lotion does help a bit with smoothing out the skin.

Ive never heard of this stuff before is it like a Vit E cream? I will definatly look into it - TY
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Exercise, eating healthy, raw foods, drinking water and using lotion will all help.

After you lose the weight and are exercising for about a YEAR, your skin is as tight as it's going to get. Once you reach the 12 month point, decide whether or not you can live with it.

Good luck & congrats on losing that much weight!

-Chancy
  • navvs15
    navvs15 Posts: 165
    Options
    I was worried about the exact same thing. I plan to lose 65 more pounds and would like to avoid it. There was a few links that I found to be helpful. Some include:

http://searchwarp.com/swa25902.htm

http://www.bodyfatguide.com/LooseSkin.htm
  • Pippi8
    Pippi8 Posts: 12
    Options
    There is a book by Jon Gabriel called "The Gabriel Method" that talks about using visualization and mental reconditioning as you uncover the 'thin person' who is hiding inside people with excess body fat. He was able to lose an incredible amount of weight and each night visualized the body he wanted (which had no excess skin) and the final result was that he lost all the weight and had nearly none of the excess skin. He just mentally programmed his body not to have it as the weight came off. It's really interesting to read his story......the mind is so powerful. May be worth a read just in case you are open minded to the power of suggestion.
  • spunkbeer
    Options
    Ive had this same problem
    It has been a year now since i lost 1/2 my body weight.
    And i go to gym, use creams, etc.
    Nothing seems to really work. Unfortunatly youll have excess skin and scars as a reminding you of your bigger days

Im getting surgery.
    People keep saying at my age it should fix itself.
    But i have seen no improvement at all since losing the weight.
    So im losing a bit more then getting tummy tuck.
  • Fieldsy
    Options
    People who say it will fix itself or add some cream to the flab kind of don't get it. Unless you are building some huge muscles (I mean steroid freak muscles)...big flabs of excess skin will remain there. It all depends on the amount of skin you have. Talk to a doctor or even a couple of them.
  • spunkbeer
    Options
    People who say it will fix itself or add some cream to the flab kind of don't get it. Unless you are building some huge muscles (I mean steroid freak muscles)...big flabs of excess skin will remain there. It all depends on the amount of skin you have. Talk to a doctor or even a couple of them.

*cries*
    I dont want muscles theyre so incredibly ugly. Muscley individuals freak me out.
    So guessing surgery is my only option.
  • Fieldsy
    Options
    How bad is your excess skin? How much weight did you lose?
  • spunkbeer
    Options
    How bad is your excess skin? How much weight did you lose?

I went from about 200lbs (90kg) to about 94lbs (42kg) in just over a year.
    Im now weighing 108llbs. But still. The stretch marks and excess skin is noticable by quite a bit.
    Ive been excersising throughout my entire weight loss and after it.
    So if its not gone after november. Ill have to get surgery.
  • spunkbeer
    Options
    Its bad enough that i was looking at my stomach in mirror at a club with my friend.
    And a random asked when i had my kid. Basically it looks like ive had children :(
  • Larode
    Larode Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Swimming laps is helping me - lose weight and fat, but I know that when I lose the rest, I will need to have my stomach/arms/thights tightened up. I've lost 42 lbs since May and lots of inches by swimming 40 laps a day....it's amazing. I know it's not the end. But going from a size 22 to a 16 has been great!