Your fave low cal foods?

Options
I want new ideas of low cal foods. What are some of your fave low cal foods you eat? Breakfast? Lunch? Dinner? Snacks? I would love some new ideas! Include how many calories are in them if you know. Thanks! :)

Replies

• granolagirl82
    Options
    Healthy Life english muffins 80 calories topped w/ pb2 45 calories or laughing cow. Just found out you can used trader joe's peanut flour like pb2 though (much cheaper). A 6oz blueberry is only 60 calories. And of course a bag of Popchips for 100.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    Sliced Apple dipped in 1 TBS of melted peanut butter ~ 170 cals.
  • Daisy374
    Daisy374 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    My new favorite thing for breakfast is steel cut oats!! A health food store next to my gym has organic steel cut oats in bulk. They are not only delish but easy on the wallet too! They take a little longer to cook than oatmeal, but are definitely worth the wait! 1 C cooked (1/4 c dry) is 140 calories, but they are very filling! I sometimes have to cut back to 1/2 C. I toss in some blueberries and a tad of maple flavored agave nectar. YUM!
  • merebear
    merebear Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Every Sunday I cook 5 strips of turkey bacon, then a half cup or so of mushrooms sauteed in the turkey bacon grease, and then I add 1 1/4 Cups of eggbeaters to the mushrooms (about 60 calories). Then I have breakfast ready to microwave for 5 days.......and I also cook a few extra strips for my dogs, shhh!:) My other "go-to meal" is special k cinnamon pecan cereal with almond milk (about 140 calories). For lunch I LOVE to cut up some lunch meat and put that in the skillet with some mushrooms, baby corn, water chestnuts, and pecans.....just toast it a little. Then I cake take that and some spinach to work, heat up the meat and veggies then mis it with the spinach and have a wonderful salad. My absolute saving grace to be able to eat salads is this fat free, calorie free, gluten free, everything free Walden Farms dressing. It is really yummy and comes in raspberry ninaigrette, honey mustard, ranch, caesar, etc.
  • Nikkerz620
    Nikkerz620 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Popchips rock!

Speical K also has a similar chip and some low fat dip. :) Feels naughty without being naughty.

Banana sliced with a drizzle of Hersey Chocolate... :O)

Thomas 100 cal english muffin 1 egg/ 1 egg white, veggies of choice and a half slice of pepper jack cheese.
    I make eggs ahead of time and they taste totally fine warmed up in the microwave. Similar to what Subway does.
    (300 calories max and filling!)

I also have a way yummy recipe in my blog for a pizza roll up thing.. Calories etc are posted for it.

These other ones I don't have calories on hand.. but Not over 200 for sure.
  • Nikkerz620
    Nikkerz620 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Oh another one that is All Natural White Ceddar Cheeto Puffs... you get quite a few for like 150 calories.
  • Tinabeena73
    Options
    Since I just had this AWESOME breakfast-

oscar meyer center cut bacon- 3 slices for 70 calories!!
    one egg and 2 egg whites omelette with onion and spinach~ 150 calories

IMO the center cut bacon tastes way better than turkey bacon. The whole meal is super filling and healthy!
  • Cherrycandy
    Options
    Wow! Thanks guys! There are alot of things here I hadnt thought of! Keep em coming! I need some ideas!
  • AnnThereseRN
    AnnThereseRN Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    This morning I had a Apple Crumb VitaTop wtih a cup of tea and a squirt of lemon = 102 calories. The VitaTops are in the freezer section. They can be a little pricey, but grab them when they are on sale.

Also, I love making omelets for breakfast. Add tons of veggies (low cal, high fiber), two egg whites (30 calories) and a 1/4 cup of low fat shredded cheese (80 calories). Super low-cal, high protein, and filling breakfast = usually around 125 calories.
  • AnnThereseRN
    AnnThereseRN Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Also, Trader Joe's (and sometimes even regular grocery stores) have "Better n' Peanut Butter". Its about 70 calories and 2 grams of fat for 2 Tbs. Much lighter than normal PB and great tasting. Side by side taste test, not the same. But still great. :)
  • btor
    btor Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Popcorn is awesome, any spinach salad, carrot chips!
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    This morning I had a Apple Crumb VitaTop wtih a cup of tea and a squirt of lemon = 102 calories. The VitaTops are in the freezer section. They can be a little pricey, but grab them when they are on sale.

Also, I love making omelets for breakfast. Add tons of veggies (low cal, high fiber), two egg whites (30 calories) and a 1/4 cup of low fat shredded cheese (80 calories). Super low-cal, high protein, and filling breakfast = usually around 125 calories.

Vita tops are the bomb. no joke!
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Healthy Life 80 cal english muffins
    Healthy Life 140 cal Bagels
    Liquid eggs
    Turkey Bacon
    Amy’s cereal bowls
    Bananas
    Erewhon cereals (puffed rice cereals)
    Oatmeal
    Carbmaster Yogurt (kroger)
    Syrup (FF, SF)
    Vans muffin tops
    Apple Butter (No sugar added)
    Weight Watchers Cream cheese
    High fiber Polaner jellies
    FF Cottage cheese
    Kashi cereals
    Fiber 1
    Jay Robb Protein Powder
    Starbucks Oatmeal
    Fruit
    Clementine
    Frigo light cheese sticks
    100 Cal popcorn
    100 Cal pretzels
    Puffed pita chips
    Mr. Krispers Chips
    Carrots
    SF, FF, pudding
    Apple Bites
    Austin crackers, LF
    Yo Crunch lite
    Rasberry Vinaigrette FF
    Truvia
    8th Continent Soy Milk
    Diet Hot Chocolate
    Jello - Gelatin/Pudding
    Salsa
    Lite Cool Whip
    Healthy Life Bread
    Fage 0%
    Smart Ones
    Ole extreme fitness wraps-high fiber
    Canned tuna
    Brown Rice-birdseye steam fresh
    200 Cal Pizzas (digiornos)
    Amy’s Tamale Pie
    FF Refried Beans
    Harvest lite soups
    Fajitas (olive oil non stick spray does wonders to saute!)

Mexican Lasagna (or Enchilada Casserole)

1/4 large green bell pepper, chopped

1/4 large red bell pepper, chopped

1/4 jalapeño pepper, finely chopped (optional)

1 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 large onion, chopped

corn tortillas–at least 6

1.5 cups (14 ounces) fat free refried beans 

1 medium tomato, diced

1/2 tsp. chili powder, divided

1/4 tsp. cumin, divided

1.5 cups black beans, rinsed and drained

1/2 cup salsa

1/2 can enchilada sauce

sliced black olives

Preheat oven to 375 F.

In a non-stick pan with a little water (1 tbsp.), sauté the peppers, garlic, and onion for about 3 minutes, or until softened. Set aside.

Spray a 8x8 baking pan with non-stick spray. Line the bottom with a layer of tortillas (you may cut some of them to fit). Make sure you cover the entire bottom of the pan.

Stir the refried beans and spread half of them evenly over the tortillas. Cover the refried beans with half of the pepper-onion mixture and half of the tomatoes; sprinkle with half of the seasonings and half of the black beans.

Add another layer of tortillas and repeat the layers of the other ingredients. Spread the salsa over the final layer of black beans. Cover with a final layer of tortillas, pour the enchilada sauce over the top, and sprinkle with black olives. Cover and bake for about 15-25 minutes or until hot throughout. It will be easier to cut if you allow it to cool for about 10 minutes before serving.

Note: Fresh corn is a great addition to this. I use about 1C of uncooked (or frozen) corn and add it as one more layer. You may need a deeper pan, though.
    Makes about 4 large servings.
    The nutrition facts will depend on the brands you use and such.

Mini Chile Relleno Casseroles (2)

4-ounce can diced green chiles, drained and patted dry
    3/4 cup frozen corn, thawed and patted dry
    2 scallions, thinly sliced
    1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
    3/4 cup nonfat milk
    3 large egg whites
    2 large eggs (or sibstitute)
    1/4 teaspoon salt

PREPARATION
    1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 4 6-ounce or 2 10-ounce heatproof ramekins with cooking spray and place on a baking sheet.
    2. Equally divide green chiles, corn and scallions among the ramekins. Top each with cheese. Whisk milk, egg whites, eggs and salt in a medium bowl until combined. Divide the egg mixture evenly among the ramekins.
    3. Bake the mini casseroles until the tops begin to brown and the eggs are set, about 25 minutes for 6-ounce ramekins and about 35 minutes for 10-ounce ramekins.

Super Easy Fiesta Beans

3 servings, generous 1/2 cup each
    Time: 15 minutes
    1 8-ounce can nonfat refried beans, preferably spicy
    1/2 15-ounce can no-salt-added pinto beans, rinsed
    1/4 cup prepared salsa
    1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
    2 scallions, sliced

1. Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
    2. Combine refried beans, pinto beans, salsa and 1/4 cup cheese in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until the mixture is hot and the cheese is melted, 3 to 5 minutes. Spoon the bean mixture into a quart baking dish and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese and scallions. Broil until the cheese is lightly browned, about 1-2 minutes.

Hope that helps a bit!
  • ngr1973
    ngr1973 Posts: 334
    Options
    Bump
  • NOLAdy
    NOLAdy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm just now discovering Kale chips. They are great when you want a salty, potato chip like, snack. .
  • Cherrycandy
    Options
    For real? Ok, ive gotta try these Vita Tops now! Youve got my curiousity up!
  • girliegirl1822
    girliegirl1822 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Any kind of yoplait yogurt i love all the light flavors:happy:
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    I love pop chips too!
    I like vita tops (only tried the chocolate) warmed up (45 sec) w/ skim milk or hot cocoa (YUM)
    Allwhites egg white omelet (you can add spinach leaves, salsa (medium/hot), a lil cheese, and 1 strip of brown sugar bacon)
    Hard boiled eggs - did I mention I love eggs? with mozzarella string cheese
    Veggie straws or carrots with hummus
    Experimenting w/ protein shakes but I made a delicious one this morning (1/2-1 scoop strawberry protein shake mix, banana, skim milk, and orange sherbet)
    Arnold whole wheat sandwich rounds (100 cal) w/ tuna or anything!
    Gorton's tilapia (baked) or fresh is best anytime! w/ spinach and brown rice
    Thomas' whole wheat bagel thins w/ peanut butter or almond butter
  • tnkbest
    tnkbest Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • Cristy_AZ
    Options
    Wow, there's really too many to name, I love all the food I eat!!
    But here's my current favorite breakfast:

tripleberry raspberries blueberries blackberries, 1 cup
    Greek Yogurt, Plain Nonfat - 6oz Single Serving
    Chef's Naturals - Slivered Almonds, 0.25 cup

250 protein packed calories!!