To run or not to run????

Options
So I haven't been exercising like I should be, primarily because I have TONS of things on my mind and I honestly more worried about getting into grad school and seeing a guy than I am about working out. But I had an idea to get my bum in gear and I wanted to run it by you guys...

There is a 10 mile race in May that I've always wanted to run, but never have really had the time/ the bravery to do it. I'm conisdering signing up for it (and paying for my registration) now, so I feel emotionally and financially committed to getting in shape for it. But I'm worried if I feel obligated that it might take the fun out of my workouts.

Have any of you signed up for a race, triatholon, etc with the hope that it motivated you? And if so, what were your experiences with doing this and did it motivate you or ruin the fun aspect of your workouts?

Thanks!

Replies

• JenniferAutumn
    JenniferAutumn Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    You have plenty of time to train for a May race and I think it is a great motivational goal.

and yes, I have paid for races and unable to run them- but only because of injuries.

I say go for it!!

Edited to say- I only feel pressure when I am training for a Marathon as it is a commitment.
    Ive signed up for 5 and was injured for 2 of them where I couldn't run at all and 1 I backed down to a half marathon. and one I ran!

I am currently training for Boston.
  • fzyfrog
    fzyfrog Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Races always motivate me to run. That's pretty much the only reason I do it. So I can run races!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Absolutley!! I still do it all the time. That's what keeps me on track with my running. Several years ago, I finished my first 5k and came home to find a half marathon to run. This after never running any farther than about 4 miles. My first long race was a 10 miler followed a few weeks later by my first half marathon.

But I never feel like I HAVE to run. I just approach my training runs with my long term goal in mind and each one gets me closer to that goal.
  • lclarius
    lclarius Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Races def motivate me especially because I will follow a training schedule so i know exactly what to do on what days. Also if you have never run a long distance the sense of accomplishment you get for running further than you ever have or thought you could is really amazing.
    The only problem I have had is about 2/3rd of way through a get a little bored because I am running 5 days a week. I would def recommend doing a training program that integrates cross training to vary it up a bit.
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Have any of you signed up for a race, triatholon, etc with the hope that it motivated you? And if so, what were your experiences with doing this and did it motivate you or ruin the fun aspect of your workouts?

YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was like you and felt like I needed to do something so I signed up for a triathlon on December 10 for a race in April. Since then, I have been in the gym 5-6X a week and have lost 18 pounds (5 of them were pre-MFP). I told EVERYONE I know so that it would force me to be accountable. I'm on here every day to have my friends help hold me accountable. Knowing that I have a goal and a race to run has made me push myself harder and has made my workouts MORE fun and MORE rewarding, not less.

Go sign up now!!!!!!!! Signing up for my tri is the best thing I have EVER done for my health and fitness. I promise you will not regret it.

Good luck and please keep us all updated!
  • mgriffin51
    mgriffin51 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Whenever I have signed up for a race it has only motivated me more and made my workouts more exciting because each week I would be that much closer to being ready for the race! I think it can go both ways though, it probably depends on how you look at it. I would sign up for it and keep an optimistic look at the situation. Try thinking about it as I described, each workout is an exciting step forward and in no time you'll be running farther and faster than you ever thought possible!!!
  • gooberr4
    gooberr4 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I recently started training for my first 5k race and I'm SO excited. I was never a runner and i actually hated running but I've really come to love it. If i'm feeling stressed or anxious running helps a ton. I know that grad school is more important but you're only taking thirty minutes out of your life to do something for yourself that will help.

My vote is sign up for a race and RUN!! :)