How do you burn 3500 calories exercising in one week?

Options
124»

Replies

• angelinah
    Options
    I spend my time at the gym doing an hour on the elliptical or treadmill. I go six days a week and I burn 800-1000 calories a session. If I'm having a bad week (like TOM), then I'll burn 4800 for the week. On good weeks i'll burn up to 6000.
  • jadedjade24
    Options
    I compete with myself actually. I do 120 minutes at the gym everyday. One day of streangth training and then the rest I do cardio to various degrees. And recently I have thrown in some Zumba or the 30 day shred depending on if I wanna dance or not. I burn 800 calories per day, give or take. and then I eat back calories until I hit about 1200 calories net for the day, sometimes more if I am hungry, but never less. Last week I lost 4 lbs but I think I stayed put this week only because I had a few weak dys since my birthday was monday and my one year anniversary was tuesday. But I am always counting my calories so I dont go over. And since the site puts you at a 500 calorie deficit for the week (if losing 1 lbs/week) thats 3500 right there.

My weigh in is tomorrow and I just hope I have been drinking enough water to help combat all the sodium I had this week >.< me no likie water weight lol.
  • emchamberlain
    emchamberlain Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    This is one of those questions with a "DEPENDS" answer. It depends on what each person weighs!!

I weigh about 284lbs and I would only have to run 3.1 miles in about 33 minutes for 4.5 times a week to hit a burn of 3500 cals. Someone that only weighs 102 lbs might have to run what .... 3 maybe 4 *times* as much in single week to match me? So what you need to know is what someone *your size* has to do in a week to hit 3500.

AGREED!

Yes, this is important to remember! The fitter and smaller you are, the fewer calories/hour you'll burn.
  • Katybun3
    Katybun3 Posts: 172
    Options
    Would like to know too. Don't think I have the energy tho :0)
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Would like to know too. Don't think I have the energy tho :0)

Well, did you read any of the responses???
  • skinnyb450
    Options
    Bump:smile:
  • cgwhite
    cgwhite Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thought that I ought to throw one of the best workouts in for burning this many calories, regardless of size!, go play golf and either carry or pull your clubs. I weigh just under 200 lbs and in a 4 hour round of golf will burn at least 1100 calories. It is enjoyable as well. I can't say that for running on a treadmill for 90 minutes.

Play 3 times a week and add some cycling into the mixture, to get the paper in the morning from the local shop 3 miles away, and you can easily burn that many calories.

The other thing I would comment on is that I see many people saying that they are working out for up to 2 hours cardio in the gym every day... Are you sure about that. That sort of activity level should only be done by athletes working towards the Olympics in London next year. 3 or 4 days a week, 30 to 40 minutes "Fatburn" and "Aerobic" heart rate workouts are all you need to loose 2 lbs of FAT a week. Any more than this and you are heading towards burning up muscle. Great way to loose weight but not to be recommended. Get a pair of skinfold calipers and measure your fat %. That way you can tailor your weight loss with the right amount of excercise.

Why does it always have to be a race to loose weight. Surely you should be making a life change in your activity and eating habits to a regime that you can live with for the rest of your life. We all know that heavy "dieting" almost always fails and within a few months the old ways creep back and the weight goes back on. Think 2 pounds a week and adjust your eating / excercise to a level that you are happy with.

Just a few thoughts from a 52 year old in the UK. I have been fit all my life due to working outdoors but slowly, as I have gotten older, the weight has started to creep on. I am going skiing with my son in a couple of weeks time and thought it was about time that I got really fit again, and lost some weight. Hence my finding this great site. It is hard work, but like everything in life enjoy it, you only get one go, it's not a rehearsal! Its the getting fit bit that is really difficult. You can easily loose weight by doing no excercise and just watching what you eat. Getting fit is painful!!! :sad:

Enjoy yourselves.

Regards,

Chris.