The effects of watching my sodium...

Options

Replies

• McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Wow! I never heeded the sodium warnings but those pics are enough to change my mind.

Beginning immediately, I'm going to limit sodium to 1500mg/day.

Thank you so much for sharing! And you look great!
  • JillyBean819
    JillyBean819 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Good for you for making that change. Sodium intake makes such a difference when you cut back. Thanks for posting your before and after pics.
  • sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    Options
    OK that's enough for me to put some serious consideration into my sodium too!
  • Ilovepeppers
    Ilovepeppers Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Good job you! What level do you keep your sodium under¿
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this. I've been "thinking" about my sodium intake for awhile. I started tracking it and wow, I eat a lot of it. It takes a commitment to avoid it and now that I've seen your results maybe I can make that commitment! Thanks again.
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    ok that's it I am making a big pot of homemade soup and one of chili this week so I can control how much salt is added in!
  • Jebw123
    Options
    This is a timely topic, since I had my own sodium related catastrophe this morning....

I exercise regularly (50 mins or more of intense cardio per day) 6x per week. Yesterday morning I burned 1500 cals playing full court basketball for 90+ mins.

I had my usual breakfast (cheerios/milk/coffee), but went a little overboard with lunch and dinner.

For lunch I had a sizable grinder (deli sandwich). Lots of sodium in the meat. I still went into dinner with 1800+ calories left.

For dinner, I took the family to a chinese buffet and ate my fill. I am not afraid to enjoy my meals, as I know that constant restriction is more likely to spell failure in my personal situation. (for the record, I have lost 48 lbs in under 6 months).

So here is what I believe sodium did to me over the last 24 hours (today being my usual "official" weigh in day):

Yesterday morning starting weight: 226.2
    Yesterday morning (post workout): 222.0
    This morning starting weight: 230.6

I drank plenty of water yesterday (a minimum of 8 cups, but more like 10+).

I expected a moderate weight gain this morning, but 4.2 lbs is just ridiculous. I think the water retention is amplified by my overall size (I am 6'2").

I am not sure if there is a lesson in here, as I am not ready to ignore all food cravings. I guess this just justifies my recently held believe that chinese food is best eaten earlier in the week...so it is all flushed out by Friday's weigh-in!!
  • lbissett79
    lbissett79 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I want to thank you for bringing this to my attention. I have been oblivious to the sodium I am putting in my body and focusing solely on the calories. This definitely explains what might be going on with my weight fluctuations. I just went back and looked at my sodium and some days it is way up there. Thanks again for the eye opener!
  • SortaBadass
    SortaBadass Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Those are really compelling pictures! Honestly, I never really have thought much about my own sodium intake. I can't wait to see the results of watching it too (although maybe after I finish my case of Campbell's Tomato Soup).
  • Guinepig
    Guinepig Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Holy heck, what a difference.
  • pauldbarnhart
    pauldbarnhart Posts: 5,999 Member
    Options
    I agree to a point. Processed foods are loaded in sodium. Moderation is good, and I continue to watch my sodium intake, but I'm not going crazy about it. A friend pointed me to this thread - you might find it interesting as well:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/176276-interesting-take-on-sodium-intake
  • grover0ca
    grover0ca Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    wow..what a difference!!!
  • time2runnn
    time2runnn Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Whoah! What a difference!
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Looks like two dfferent people. Even the boobs are smaller?

YES! No more big boobs! Woot! I was a B my whole life...then children came along and I went up to a D and an *kitten* to match.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    I agree to a point. Processed foods are loaded in sodium. Moderation is good, and I continue to watch my sodium intake, but I'm not going crazy about it. A friend pointed me to this thread - you might find it interesting as well:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/176276-interesting-take-on-sodium-intake

Hey thanks, but Im just going to keep doing what I'm doing. I don't need processed food. I can say no to them. And what do you agree to a point with? My results are directly linked to my sodium intake. lol....I didn't post this for a debate in what you think about sodium. I was happy with my own experiment and body. :-)
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    WOW! Amazing. I know that nasty sodium makes me bloat and retain. My daily(when I don't fall off my routine from a bad cold virus) blood pressure meds usually flushes mine out. I'd like to get my sodium down under 1500 its rough and I don't usually eat frozen meals. Occasional frozen pizza but I prefer to make them fresh. Mine comes in other forms though. UGH!

I'll have to read through more of your past diary to see.
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    That's a huge different in a week!!
  • irishgal44
    irishgal44 Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    WOW! That is amazing and makes so much sense. I have been watching my sodium but never limiting to 1500 or under. I have a new goal to set!
  • nsueflorence
    nsueflorence Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Tell me about it the last few weeks I have been pretty careless about some of the things I have been eating! High Sodium! Way higher then I care to admit to my self. I have not lost in almost a month but have packed on 2 pounds. Its all about the quality not just the calorie. And quality includes LOW sodium!
  • pauldbarnhart
    pauldbarnhart Posts: 5,999 Member
    Options

Hey thanks, but Im just going to keep doing what I'm doing. I don't need processed food. I can say no to them. And what do you agree to a point with? My results are directly linked to my sodium intake. lol....I didn't post this for a debate in what you think about sodium. I was happy with my own experiment and body. :-)

First, I wasn't suggesting you change what you are doing, and I wasn't trying to enter a debate. I was just trying to balance what you posted, because I don't believe your results are necessarily typical.

I understand you are happy with your experiment. The pics do indeed show a big difference. But not everyone will get these results, and some might actually go to the extreme in an effort to match your results, which could be harmful. Limiting your sodium is great (I'm trying to do the same), but sodium is not completely evil. That's what I meant when I said "I agree to a point".

Keep watching what you eat, enjoy the results, and remember "everything in moderation".

P.S. - For anyone interested - when I was speaking of processed food, that included things like bread, cereal, and many meats, not just frozen dinners. It is also true of most restaurant meals (not just fast food). Unless you buy all your ingredients fresh and do all your own cooking, you are going to get a bunch of sodium without even realizing it.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!