Nails are "peeling"! What nutrient am I missing???

Options
Hey guys! So ever since I started changing my eating habits I've noticed that my nails have started to "peel". I dont know if any of you have ever experienced this but basically the first layer of my nails "peels" off (usually only about halfway). it doesnt happen with all of my nails but it is really bothering me. I know I must be missing some kind of nutrient because this happens on and off but IDK which one. searching online has led me to different suggestions. This has happened to me before and stopped but IDK what it is that I did. I moisturize my hands all of the time, I dont deal with fake nails or harsh cleaners so IDK whats going on. I checked some of the more popular nutrients that MFP tracks and everything is pretty normal, some days better then others. What nutrient do you guys think I'm missing?

p.s. if i could avoid taking a multi vitamen i'd rather that. i dont want to deal with finding the right one or dealing with dizziness or nauseau or any of the other side effects i've heard about. i would take a specific supplement though. Thanks I hope someone can help!

Replies

• Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Biotin is important for nails, skin and hair health.
  • barberella
    Options
    I believe a pre natal pill. It contains a lot of iron/folic acid, and is very cheap and you don't have to be preggers to get it!! I know when I was pregnant, the doc put me on it because they always do anyway, but it make my nails grow like crazy!!
  • lushy20
    lushy20 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    calicum is good for nails hair and teeth, start drinking some milk :)
  • harley0269
    harley0269 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    do your nails have ridges going down the length of them? Do your nails curl under when the grow? if so then you have an iron deficency. (anemic). thats what i have. my nails started with the peeling & progressed to the ridges & curling. i have to take a generic womens multivitamin & a ferrous sulfate (65mg) which is an otc green iron pill. best to see a doctor to be tested which vitamins your body may be lacking or producing too much of.
  • dihardcheer86
    Options
    I believe a pre natal pill. It contains a lot of iron/folic acid, and is very cheap and you don't have to be preggers to get it!! I know when I was pregnant, the doc put me on it because they always do anyway, but it make my nails grow like crazy!!

I believe this one!! Everyone who takes them loves what they do to their nails and hair :o) Such a good multi vitamin :o)
  • ljbouse
    ljbouse Posts: 129
    Options
    Biotin is important for nails, skin and hair health.

how much biotin should we be taking?
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    So you don't want to deal with a supplement or multi-vitamin that will help you. OK...I would suggest getting a quality protein shake. I looked at your food diary. MFP gives you the option to adjust your micro-nutrient goals so that you aren't always in the RED in protein. You may be shorting yourself on quality protein each day. You can raise it to 30-35 %.
  • dp1228
    dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    So you don't want to deal with a supplement or multi-vitamin that will help you. OK...I would suggest getting a quality protein shake. I looked at your food diary. MFP gives you the option to adjust your micro-nutrient goals so that you aren't always in the RED in protein. You may be shorting yourself on quality protein each day. You can raise it to 30-35 %.

no no i'd take a specific supplement like say for instance a protein supplement or a calcium supplement etc etc. the multi-vitamens though id rather avoid IF i could. i think i might raise my protein and see what happens. thanks!
  • dp1228
    Options

I believe this one!! Everyone who takes them loves what they do to their nails and hair :o) Such a good multi vitamin :o)

hmm is this available over the counter or does it have to be perscribed? i know nothing about these things haha
  • dp1228
    Options
    calicum is good for nails hair and teeth, start drinking some milk :)

now that i think about it i havent had milk in about 4 weeks. exepct for ONE small bowl of cereal and then it was only half a cup. maybe that IS the prob... hmm thanks!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Honestly? You're better off going to your doctor and discussing your concerns with him/her and getting some basic lab tests done to try and find your particular deficiency/problem. People can make suggestions until they're blue in the face, but there's no way for anyone on this website to really know what *you* need. You need to be careful about taking supplements without Dr. input - my iron levels are already high, for example, so iron supplements wouldn't be good for me. Other things like potassium and Vitamin D can be bad if you take too much of. I know you're just looking for some suggestions, but as you can tell, people have already tossed out so many different ideas - you really should get some professional input.
  • dp1228
    Options
    Honestly? You're better off going to your doctor and discussing your concerns with him/her and getting some basic lab tests done to try and find your particular deficiency/problem. People can make suggestions until they're blue in the face, but there's no way for anyone on this website to really know what *you* need. You need to be careful about taking supplements without Dr. input - my iron levels are already high, for example, so iron supplements wouldn't be good for me. Other things like potassium and Vitamin D can be bad if you take too much of. I know you're just looking for some suggestions, but as you can tell, people have already tossed out so many different ideas - you really should get some professional input.

oh im definitely going to see my doctor i already have an appt set up with him. unfortunately its not until next weekend so im just fishing around for some ideas.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I agree with talking with your doctor...

and as far as the mulitvitamin deal....

I have NEVER had problems taking a multivitamin, so that is strange that you have heard that there are side effects. If you talk to your doctor, I would definately ask him what a good vitamin would be, as they are completely important.

and if you take them with a meal and not on an empty stomach you shouldn't have any side effects.
  • etherah
    etherah Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    If you're not drinking any milk, are you getting calcium in any other form? Aside from nail problems, a lack of calcium affects your bone health, potentially leading to osteoporosis. Under the age of 50, you should be getting 1000mg of calcium per day.
  • proverbs31chick
    proverbs31chick Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Hey not sure about the nails peeling, but as far as a multi supplement. I was so overwhelmed with how many were out there and which ones to take and I HATE taking pills, I am so bad with it. However, I saw a registered dietician and my family doctor and they both told me to take a womens one a day multivitamin, its great, just one a day and no side effects for me.
  • dp1228
    Options
    If you're not drinking any milk, are you getting calcium in any other form? Aside from nail problems, a lack of calcium affects your bone health, potentially leading to osteoporosis. Under the age of 50, you should be getting 1000mg of calcium per day.

i have been really under the recommended calcium MFP gives me except for the days I was eating yogurt and/or cheese. if im not mistaken MFP gives the calcium measurements in g and it gives me a "limit" of 100 g a day. sometimes i got over that sometimes i go way under. hmm
  • dp1228
    Options
    Hey not sure about the nails peeling, but as far as a multi supplement. I was so overwhelmed with how many were out there and which ones to take and I HATE taking pills, I am so bad with it. However, I saw a registered dietician and my family doctor and they both told me to take a womens one a day multivitamin, its great, just one a day and no side effects for me.

i have heard about that multivitamen! ill be sure to ask my doctor about it. thanks!