A long way to go.........trying to stay positive.

luvnmi2kidz
luvnmi2kidz Posts: 1 Member
edited September 24 in Introduce Yourself
I am new to myfitnesspal. I have found it to be very helpful. I am very strong willed and when I set my mind to something, I usually follow thru. This is a hard one though. I have more than just a few pounds to loose. I have lost 14 pounds and need to loose at least 86 more. I have stayed the same weight for all my adult life. I am 45. I am having a hard time visualizing getting there. That is a long way. My 16 year old daugher has lost 30 pounds and and only has 15-20 more to go. It seemed to come easy for her. It is not coming off like that with me. I hope I can stay encouraged and do this. We have decided that once we loose our goal weight we are going to get matching Mother and Daughter tattoos which is something I have always said NO too. But I feel this would be such a big accomplishment for us both that it would be nice to have a reminder of where we were then and where we would be at that time.

Replies

• sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    Keep eating right and exercising.. it will come.. I suggest taking your measurements.. sometime those will go down but the scale reminds the same, as muscle weighs more than fat!!
    We all lose at different rates, be patience, and remember it took along to put it on, it will take a long time to get it off.. But YOU WILL!!!
    Welcome to MFP and feel free to add me!
  • lildazey
    lildazey Posts: 86 Member
    Welcome to MFP! I'm sure you will find a lot of support here! It's awesome you are doing this with your daughter, but remember, weightloss comes much easier when you are younger, so it's understandable that she has been able to lose more. Keep working at it and you will reach your goal! I love the tattoo idea!
  • Welcome ..:smile: I too have alot of weight to lose...feel free to add me to your friend list, maybe we can encourage each other.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    one thingthat helps me is to focus on 10lbs at a time, on the 0's

ex: 250-240 = 1 goal. 240- 230 = 1 goal, etc

i don't like to focus much on more than that bc i find it discouraging. keep up the good work!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,033 Member
    I find it less overwhelming to break it down into smaller goals, just try to concentrate on the next 10 lbs at a time. This is what I have done and I have lost 57 lbs since mid july. I still have 43 more to go. I hope this helps. Just stick with it and dont give up. It may take awhile but it will happen. You can do it
  • navvs15
    navvs15 Posts: 165
    Having a long way to get there is something people have to accept. I myself have accepted that I will not reach my goal in three months or even six, simply because I have quite a bit of body fat to get rid of. But I know if I keep doing what I'm doing, I too, will get there like so many others! And since you yourself said you were strong willed, I know you can get there too! :wink:

Good luck!
  • MelissaE27
    MelissaE27 Posts: 682 Member
    Welcome and good luck on your journey...feel free to add me if you like.. me and my daughter have the same thing going as far as a tatoo...I think its great!
  • time2runnn
    time2runnn Posts: 252 Member
    I have a long way to go too. But you know what we can do it together!
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    I understand exactly how you feel. I have 155 pounds to lose total, I have lost 40 so far but feel that I have such a long way to go as well and I do! It's going to take time and dedication to get there and we just need to stay focused on the task at hand. As far as it being hard to lose weight, the older you get, the harder it is and it's the truth! Our metabolisms aren't what they used to be, like when we were younger. Since I have lost my first 40 pounds so quickly, I have been hitting plateaus already and it gets very frustrating, I am just trying to take it one day at a time and keep trying to move forward. I realize that I have a long road ahead but every good thing I do for myself, like eat right and exercise I know will benefit me in the long run. Hang in there and be postive, you will see results. Keep signing in here everyday and read all the inspirational stories. Everyone here is very helpful, I know this site keeps me very motivated to keep going. I don't think I could have gotten this far if not for MFP. Set mini goals for yourself instead of looking at the total you have to lose, it makes it that much easier and doable! Keep up the good work and add me as a friend if you like. Good luck and Welcome!

Denise
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Hey there, I'm also 45 yrs old here and I know our metabolism is not near what it was in our 30's. Your daughter is much younger so that is why she is losing faster. Just remember to keep doing the work, exercise, healthy diet and drink your 8 glasses of water a day. Water for me is a huge thing! Stay focused and don't focus so much on what the scale says because even though it isn't going down, you are making progress. Be sure to take your measurments too. You are probably losing inches! Feel free to add me if you like and we can help support one another. Good luck in your journey:)
  • amehrkens
    amehrkens Posts: 162 Member
    Don;t give up, just leep working at it and it will come. It took me 3 years to lose my first 100lbs! Keep your mind and heart in it!
  • gumby101ca
    gumby101ca Posts: 539 Member
    welcome to the site , feel free to add me as a buddie is you wish !!
  • mck8686
    mck8686 Posts: 13 Member
    Hi, there! I have been on MFP for a few months but have not been steady at it. I am determined to do better. :smile: I have 168 lbs to lose and I find that I simply can't focus on that number. I mean, that's almost as much as my husband weighs! It discourages me greatly. I keep trying to remind myself that I didn't gain this weight quickly and I know I won't lose it quickly. Instead I find that I must move one meal at a time. If I don't I end up setting all these lofty goals for myself and then I don't keep any of them.

I am hoping that I will find lots of support and motivation from other members who understand my struggles. I just turned 38 and I weigh 303 lbs. This is the heaviest I've ever been in my life and I don't want to be this way anymore. I want to live a long time to be with my husband and be able to do fun things and feel better about myself. We are also trying to have a child and my weight is a huge barrier. As of yet I've been pretty lucky. I'm in excellent health other than getting winded and my back and feet hurting. But I know that could change in an instant and I could have major health problems. I want to avoid that while I'm still able to do something about it.

My goal now is to walk on my treadmill every night and fill up my food diary every day. I would like to lose 5 lbs. :) Then I will work on the next 5.

If anyone would like to be friends, please let me know. :flowerforyou: I feel very alone sometimes as I don't know anyone in my immediate daily life that even comes close to what I weigh. I think it's hard for many of them to understand my struggles.

Kim
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Congratulations on your and your daughter's success!!!

I originally set out to lose 80lbs which felt like an ENORMOUS task at the time. To make it feel less intimidating, I broke it down into 8lb chunks and rewarded myself every 8lbs.

I chose 8lbs because it's 10% of 80 and each 8lb loss got me 10% closer to my goal. Before I knew it, I'd lost 16lbs and was 20% done. Then 32lbs were gone and I was 30% done losing weight.

It made my successes easy to measure and more frequent.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Charmagne
  • Hi and welcome :)

Its a long road to lose all the weight but staying positive and being in a great community like this helps :)

Getting a tatto when you achieve is a great reminder, I wear mine with pride, when I lost HALF my physical body weight I got a large peacock tatto'd on my back to symbolise Pride in what I have achieved and every time I look at it, it reminds me of how far ive come and helps keep me going

best of luck

Hugs
    T
This discussion has been closed.