Zero Calorie Vodka Hoax

Options

Replies

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Okay, okay...

I reluctantly put the stuff about my schooling in my last post, only so you would know I'm not a total idiot just spouting off. It doesn't matter what your education background is really, although yours is quite impressive. I concede that I am quite possibly wrong. I just want to know how they do it, since it goes against everything I've learned regarding alcohols calorie content.

Well it's not going against it. I just think you have the wrong idea of what a calorie is. :smile: It's not a measure of potential nutrient value. It is just a measure of energy. That alcohol has the power to raise 7kgs of water by 7 degrees C. That's all it is. It doesn't mean that it can do anything for us as humans. Ethanol can power a vehicle, but if we drank it...we'd die.:bigsmile: Alcohol DOES have those calories, but they are not usable in any of our metabolic pathways.
  • flachix
    flachix Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    song/ican do it
    Ok, I am having touble with the math. 4 calories per gram for carbs and protein. yep, 9 for fat, got it.
    but 7 calories per gram for alcohol doesn't make sense. there are 28 grams in an ounce. 28x7= 197 an ounce. and that is very high. The body may process it that high but the counters (even on this site) all say one ounce is 65-80. I have always been trained to count it as a calorie a proof. which would be 80 calories for 80 proof of any alcohol. which makes it approx 3 calories per gram. maybe 7 is the calorie burn rate? at whatever rate, its an empty calorie and you should not be eating or drinking it. period. for now:wink:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    song/ican do it
    Ok, I am having touble with the math. 4 calories per gram for carbs and protein. yep, 9 for fat, got it.
    but 7 calories per gram for alcohol doesn't make sense. there are 28 grams in an ounce. 28x7= 197 an ounce. and that is very high. The body may process it that high but the counters (even on this site) all say one ounce is 65-80. I have always been trained to count it as a calorie a proof. which would be 80 calories for 80 proof of any alcohol. which makes it approx 3 calories per gram. maybe 7 is the calorie burn rate? at whatever rate, its an empty calorie and you should not be eating or drinking it. period. for now:wink:

It depends on the alcohol.
    Something like beer has filler/additives...sugars, barley, hops.
    The purer the alcohol, the fewer nutritive calories.
    Everclear (which isn't legal here in VA), is the purest form you can get, so it would be pretty much calorie-free.
    The alcohol itsself (ethanol) has no nutritive calories. It's just the other 'stuff' used in production that doesn't get filtered out that adds caloric value.
  • createsure
    Options
    song/ican do it

7 cals per gram is for pure alcohol. An 80 proof drink is only 40% alcohol. 40% of 7 is approx. 3.
  • createsure
    Options
    Here’some info I got from the source you sent me songbird:

On page 9 it says that ~90% of ethanol consumed is oxidized. Oxidized means calories burned.

Here’s some actual quotes from the source you posted:

On page 10:
    “Ethanol is a nutrient and has caloric value (about 7 kcalories per gram; carbohydrates and protein produce 4 kcal per gram, while fat produces 9 kcal). However, unlike carbohydrates, (glycogen in liver and muscle) and fat (triglycerides in adipose tissues and liver) which can be stored and utilized in time of need e.g. fasting, ethanol is not stored and remains in body water until eliminated.
    Whereas metabolism of the major nutrients is under hormonal control, e.g Insulin/glucagon, leptin, catecholamine, thyroid hormones, generally, there is little
    hormonal regulation to pace the rate of ethanol elimination. In view of these considerations, there is a major burden on the liver to oxidize ethanol in order to remove
    this agent from the body.”

“It is important to note that alcohol-derived calories are produced at
    the expense of the metabolism of normal nutrients since ethanol will be oxidized
    preferentially over other nutrients.”

Perhaps Smirnoff is adding an alcohol aversive drug to cancel the oxidization of ethanol in the body:

On page 39:
    “The basis of action for certain alcohol-aversive drugs such as disulfiram (Antabuse) or
    cyanamide is to inhibit ALDH, and therefore ethanol oxidation. The resulting
    accumulation of acetaldehyde causes a variety of unpleasant effects such as nausea,
    sweating, vomiting, and increased heart rate, if ethanol is consumed with these drugs.”
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Here’some info I got from the source you sent me songbird:

On page 9 it says that ~90% of ethanol consumed is oxidized. Oxidized means calories burned.

Here’s some actual quotes from the source you posted:

On page 10:
    “Ethanol is a nutrient and has caloric value (about 7 kcalories per gram; carbohydrates and protein produce 4 kcal per gram, while fat produces 9 kcal). However, unlike carbohydrates, (glycogen in liver and muscle) and fat (triglycerides in adipose tissues and liver) which can be stored and utilized in time of need e.g. fasting, ethanol is not stored and remains in body water until eliminated.
    Whereas metabolism of the major nutrients is under hormonal control, e.g Insulin/glucagon, leptin, catecholamine, thyroid hormones, generally, there is little
    hormonal regulation to pace the rate of ethanol elimination. In view of these considerations, there is a major burden on the liver to oxidize ethanol in order to remove
    this agent from the body.”

“It is important to note that alcohol-derived calories are produced at
    the expense of the metabolism of normal nutrients since ethanol will be oxidized
    preferentially over other nutrients.”

Perhaps Smirnoff is adding an alcohol aversive drug to cancel the oxidization of ethanol in the body:

On page 39:
    “The basis of action for certain alcohol-aversive drugs such as disulfiram (Antabuse) or
    cyanamide is to inhibit ALDH, and therefore ethanol oxidation. The resulting
    accumulation of acetaldehyde causes a variety of unpleasant effects such as nausea,
    sweating, vomiting, and increased heart rate, if ethanol is consumed with these drugs.”

How does oxidizing mean calories are getting burnt? He says alcohol dehydrogenase catalyses the eventual conversion of ethanol to acetate in the liver. Oxidation is just taking some constituent of the molecule away (in this case a hydrogen), it doesn't mean that we use it for calories.
    The article is just stating that, since alcohol metabolism isn't regulated by hormones, the liver has to oxidize the ethanol as quickly as possible so it'll exit the body so normal metabolic functions can take place again. Acetate can be converted to fat IN the liver, and create the fatty deposits, or cirrhosis.
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Ok-I just got this from Smirnoff themselves-
    January 13, 2008

Dear Consumer,

Thank you for contacting Smirnoff regarding nutritional information.
    Unfortunately we no longer have a zero calorie vodka available but below
    you
    will find the nutritional information for all of our Smirnoff vodka's.

Smirnoff Vodka (Blue Label)
    Serving Size: 1.5oz
    % ABV: 50
    Calories /serving: 121
    Carbohydrates (g/serving): 0
    Protein (g/serving): 0
    Fat (g/serving): 0

Smirnoff Vodka (Silver Label)
    % ABV: 45.2
    Calories /serving: 110

Smirnoff Vodka (Red Label)
    % ABV: 40
    Calories /serving: 97

Smirnoff Black Cherry Twist
    % ABV: 35
    Calories /serving: 95
    Carbohydrates (g/serving): 2

Smirnoff Citrus Twist
    Calories /serving: 87

Smirnoff Vanilla Twist
    Calories /serving: 93

Smirnoff Orange Twist
    Calories /serving: 91
    Carbohydrates (g/serving): 1

Smirnoff Green Apple Twist
    Carbohydrates (g/serving): 3

Smirnoff Cranberry Twist
    Calories /serving: 96

Smirnoff Lime Twist
    Calories /serving: 91
    Carbohydrates (g/serving): 1

Smirnoff Raspberry Twist
    Calories /serving: 93

Smirnoff Watermelon Twist
    Calories /serving: 95

Smirnoff Strawberry Twist

Once again, thank you for contacting Smirnoff. We look forward to
    serving
    you in the future!

Sincerely,

Monica D
    Smirnoff Consumer Representative

So they did and they are no longer making it. I am waiting to hear how they made it and I just emailed them to see why they are no longer carring it.

I forward the viedo to my email-here it is-

Water Alcohol = Money Smirnoff is launching a new product, a combination of spring water and alcohol, and CNBC's Tyler Mathisen has the story. http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video
  • lilspitfire
    Options
    All this vodka talk, I believe it's time for a tall Cape Cod w/ a thin slice of lime ladies. Stoli of course w/ocean spray cranberry. :drinker: To the Girls !!!
  • lilspitfire
    Options
    Also, ladies what is the huge problem here. It seems createsur, you don't like the posting why get all up tight. Go to the next ]ost and get over it. Too much negative effort spent on what. Come on now, us gals gotta stick together. Like I said Cape Cod time, icandoit, thanks I'm already mixin' mine - thanx !!!:wink:
  • amandastamey
    amandastamey Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Wow....that was really intense and too much like work, so in the end, there was a no cal vodka but now there isnt? :huh:
  • lilspitfire
    Options
    hoax or not, I certainly enjoyed my cape cod. I'm going to the tanning salon now for a tan and then a pedicure/manicure to start my week off feeling good. Of course after my drink I feel good also. Hope you al have a great weekned, and again ladies, can't we all just get along. Like Amanda said too intense, only fun things should be that intense :bigsmile:
  • AtlantaSara
    Options
    Well, all I can say is that I am glad that I didn't waste my time hitting every liquor store in Nashville looking for the zero calorie vodka and instead worked out and enjoyed a nice glass of wine or two.
    :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • WillPillageYourVillageForFood
    Options
    If it's zero-carb...it would technically be zero-calorie as well. Any nutritive calories in your alcohol comes from, like I said, additives. If it's not a very pure form of alcohol, there will be more in it (like the sugars and hops). Vodka is a really pure form...there's no way to drink pure ethanol without dying, but they probably brought it as close as possible. There might be .5 calories per serving, but by law they can say it's zero calorie.

I am wondering how the above statement can be true if the vodka people say their unflavored vodka doesn't contain carbs??? Just curious.:drinker:
  • Gats
    Gats Posts: 42
    Options
    Wow .............. !!!

How many calorie's did I burn reading that ?

Was it enough to have drink ? :drinker: :noway:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    EVeryone needs to relax and have a stiff drink on me!

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: party party party :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

lol
  • flachix
    flachix Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    :laugh: EMPTY CALORIES!!!
    (Ok, necessary...but empty):grumble:

How about an apple instead? :happy:

I gave up drinking for the 100 day journey. mostly because I can't have ONE cocktail, one just makes me want to drink. so, I am interested in learning how you go about having just one, and what it does for you. do you feel the effects from one shot or glass or whatever it is? do you drink before dinner? late in the evening? everyday? so....give with the information folks. I am really interested. thanks.
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Options
    Wow .............. !!!

How many calorie's did I burn reading that ?

Was it enough to have drink ? :drinker: :noway:

:bigsmile: :laugh: :drinker: :drinker:
  • bob9304
    bob9304 Posts: 87
    Options
    Wow!! I just read through all of these postings and now feel I should be entitled to some form of certificate or degree, I now know a whole lot about vodka and calories...But really folks there was some good info in these posts, I think the example I would have used would have been plastic, a petro product, has calories, you can eat it, and your body will discard it without any gain in weight. Why you ask? Because your body can not process it, cannot turn it into fat nor burn it for energy.
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Options
    Wow!! I just read through all of these postings and now feel I should be entitled to some form of certificate or degree, I now know a whole lot about vodka and calories...But really folks there was some good info in these posts, I think the example I would have used would have been plastic, a petro product, has calories, you can eat it, and your body will discard it without any gain in weight. Why you ask? Because your body can not process it, cannot turn it into fat nor burn it for energy.

I generally eat a frozen/processed meal once a day, they sometimes taste like they could be plastic!
    :laugh: :wink: :bigsmile: :drinker:
  • azlips2003
    azlips2003 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    New Zero Calorie Vodka
    Smirnoff's new zero calorie vodka is now available in a wide variety of flavors including watermelon, black cherry, lime, citrus, green apple, grape, rasberry, and the traditional original flavor. It can be purchased at any local grocery store, gas station or liquor store. The price is $19.99 for 750 ml or $29.99 for 1.75 L

Media Advisory
    October 22, 2007
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Michelle Lewis
    MLewis@smirnoff.com
    504-655-7577
    611 E Daniel St, Champaign, IL, 61820

The Smirnoff Corporation's CEO Nicholas Sorenson will be appearing live on CNBC tomorrow night, Monday November 9, 2007 at 8 a.m. in New York City.

CEO Nicholas Sorenson will be promoting Smirnoff's newest product, zero calorie Vodka. He'll be explaining all of the nutrition facts as well as the flavors it is available in. Also Sorenson will announce when and where the product is available and at what cost.

Nicholas Sorenson has been with Smirnoff for over 15 years now and is excited about this new break through product. He has been a crucial part of Smirnoff promotions throughout the years and continues to earn the respect and loyalty of customers across the world.

Again, he will be appearing on CNBC on November 9, 2007 at 8 a.m.

His appearance will take place outside of the CNBC studio near the Smirnoff promotional tents and busses on the corner of Washington Street and State Street.

Smirnoff has been supplying quality vodka to consumers for over 100 years.
    Or contact Linda Cox at
    LCox@smirnoff.com or (863-551-2947)

CNBC has it on there web.

I actually emailed Shmirnoff and asked about this. Here is the reply:

January 11, 2008

Dear Consumer,

Thank you for taking time to contact Smirnoff. We appreciate hearing from our consumers because your feedback is important.

Unfortunately we have not made such a product, the closest thing that we have made to date is Smirnoff Ice Light. This drink is a low-carb alternative to our regular Smirnoff Ice line of beverages.

Once again, thank you for contacting Smirnoff.

Sincerely,

Jack C
    Smirnoff Consumer Representative

I was unable to find anything on the web or on their website so I sent the email...I guess it was too good to be true!! :sad: