Heart Rate Monitor Help

Options
Hi Guys,

I am looking for some advice on HRM's, I am looking to buy one so that I can accurately calculate my calorie burn etc.

Does anyone have any recommendations of good ones and are they easy to use?

Look forward to your responses........:smile:

Replies

• megamunch
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 HRM and I love it. Easy to set up, calories seem accurate and it even had a cake on the screen when it was birthday (I'm easily entertained...)
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    (Hope you don't mind me chiming in on your post monkey, lol)
    I've been wondering this too and have spent a bit of time on amazon going through them and am just starting to feel bogged down by all the info!

What's the difference between the more expensive ones and the cheaper ones when their functions are the same? E.G Polar FT4 and Polar FT7?
  • ForTheFam
    ForTheFam Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    My research led me to the Polar FT40. Most everyone is happy with the Polar brand. I wanted just the watch monitor that didn't use the chest strap but was advised they are not as accurate and limited functionality. I bought mine off Amazon for $114 w/ free shipping. Keep asking and you'll be pointed to the one that best meets your needs. Have fun.:noway:
  • ForTheFam
    ForTheFam Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    (Hope you don't mind me chiming in on your post monkey, lol)
    I've been wondering this too and have spent a bit of time on amazon going through them and am just starting to feel bogged down by all the info!

What's the difference between the more expensive ones and the cheaper ones when their functions are the same? E.G Polar FT4 and Polar FT7?
    I went to POLARUSA.com and they have a good site to help sort through the 'many' functions and matching your requirements.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I have a polar FT7 the difference between it and the polar FT4 is it has the ability to upload data info to the internet apparently and also records more training sessions. Both the FT4 and the FT7 are the new models replacing the F4 and F7's. Try to get one with a chest strap as they are more reliable. Also I'm not sure all the Polars are waterproof it might be wise to check if it's important to you. The FT7 is waterproof to 30meters I think.
  • jaycee76
    jaycee76 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 HRM and I love it. Easy to set up, calories seem accurate and it even had a cake on the screen when it was birthday (I'm easily entertained...)

I have this too and I love it! I highly recommend x
  • monkey191
    Options
    Thank you for all your tips so far, the FT4 is looking promising - I definitely need something easy to up set up x
  • skinnyb450
    Options
    I have a polar FT7 the difference between it and the polar FT4 is it has the ability to upload data info to the internet apparently and also records more training sessions. Both the FT4 and the FT7 are the new models replacing the F4 and F7's. Try to get one with a chest strap as they are more reliable. Also I'm not sure all the Polars are waterproof it might be wise to check if it's important to you. The FT7 is waterproof to 30meters I think.

Yes I bought the Polar FT7 - I am really happy with it :):smile:
  • Crowsrbest
    Options
    Hi,

I use a Garmin Forerunner 410 which gives me GPS tracking so I can record distance and also gives (in my experience) more accurate heart rate readings than Polar. I've had two Polar and two Garmin HRM's and I definitely prefer Garmin.
  • dandynick
    Options
    I bought and tried a sportline S12 yesterday. Strapless and not accurate. When you press the button for heart rate, it takes forever since it pushes the watch away from the wrist somewhat. And since it can't shift on the fly from jogging to walking, it doesn't work well for interval workouts. I've been looking at Timex models as well as all the way to the Garmin 305 model for the on the fly speed measurements.
  • faith8258
    Options
    I have a Mio, it is easy to use and very accurate. The calories it says I have burned exercising match pretty close to what fitness pal says I am burning.
  • ronchap
    Options
    I have the ft7and it does what I need to track workouts. I know the 40 says it's great for running but I'm not running for nothing
  • bluespring
    bluespring Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Polar FT60........I am very pleased with it...
    Blue
  • dandynick
    Options
    I have returned the Sportsline watch and ordered a Timex model from Amazon. Does lots of stuff and is able to take on a GPS Speed and Distance monitor if it's wanted. I'll post a review of it when it arrives and I've tried it out.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Go polar or go home