Calorie intake... need to rant a bit

Options

Replies

• ShanIsRad
    Options
    That is so true!! Like, when I dance, I have 3 classes on Saturdays, and what I do to even out my caloric intake is drink a Vitamin Water or 2 (usually I drink around 1 1/2), it makes up for some of what I burned! People need to realize that you need to put back in what you're taking out.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Lots of good discussion (and advice in this thread). Essential components to losing fat (in order of importance): proper nutrition; resistance training (using heavy weight compound lifts); and cardio.

To add my own rant :laugh:

There's WAY too much concern over consuming fat. Fat is an essential macro-nutrient in all its forms (even saturated). Don't fear eating some fat, just use moderation.

Sodium is overblown. Unless you have a medical condition that is aggrevated by sodium or you're prepping for a bodybuilding contest, don't exagerate problems associated with sodium.

But you are not talking about saturated fat, right??? :flowerforyou:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Thank you! This topic needs to be addressed pretty regularly it seems. I know a lot of new people join and get to eating too few calories and don't understand how it works.

When I don't workout...which is Mon, Wed, and Fri....I eat 1400 cals.

When I DO workout....Tues, Thurs, Sat and Sun....I eat between 1800-1900 cals!

I am down 110 lbs (Had a maintain this week due to my "Monthly")....soo obviously it works! :laugh: :wink:

Eat people!! Food is your friend. Fat is your friend too if you eat the right kinds!!
  • Juliebean
    Options
    I can't understand why people aren't eating all their calories myself.
    I eat them ALL. If I have leftover calories after dinner, I plan for my late night snack.
    I'm not trying to diet. I'm not trying to drop my remaining 30 lbs of weight loss in the next week.

I am trying to become healthy.
    I am trying to learn a new lifestyle.
    I am engraining this into my brain, so that years from now, I won't need MFP to track my food.
    My brain will automatically sync up with my stomach, and I'll only eat what's require, and in a healthy fashion.

EAT YOUR CALORIES.
    EAT THEM ALL.
    REWARD YOUR BODY FOR THE EXERCISE YOU DO BY EATING TO REPLENISH!
    (Although you folks that do 1000+calorie workouts.... well, I can understand if you can't eat ALL those calories. That would be an insane amount of food!)

And please remember that chronically under-eating your calories will result in weight gain, the exact opposite of what you're trying for!

Amen! :drinker:
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm going to step off my soapbox now.
    Thanks for listening.

*Claps* Bravo!!

NOW.....who will get on that soap box and tell women that lifting weights WILL NOT BULK YOU UP unless you try to bulk up!!! There have been far too many threads where women "are afraid of weight lifting". Weight lifting is so important to maintain your health! I have watched my elders become crippled from age and lack of muscle to move. They became trapped in a wheel chair because they no longer had the strength to move.

Please, ladies, don't listen to old ideas on weight loss and educate yourselves. On calorie intake, variety in cardio, and weight training. You'll thank yourselves :flowerforyou:

Oh gosh, a few months back I went into a TIRADE about this. I powerlift, so you can imagine my frustration when people-- even PERSONAL TRAINERS-- say that heavy lifting will 'add bulk'. Excuse me, but I am far from 'bulky'. :explode: Even when I lift to promote hypertrophy, it takes months and months to add 1/4 inch of muscle! I *wish* it was that easy to pack on slabs of muscle! :tongue:

Yay!!!! You rock! I want to get to a point where I look (and may actually) like I compete. I think that unless you have those marshmellow looking muscles, it is so sexy to be strong and cut!! (No offense to the marshmellow muscles, though......:flowerforyou: )
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I think the main trouble for not eating is this (cause I catch myself rethinking what I should do) --
    1. Plateaus happen - either scale or measurements
    2. Weight jumps up and down (for whatever reason)
    All while following the eat exercise calorie suggestions

I know those are my times where I think - what if I don't eat them all....

Tam - question for you -- I noticed one thread where you said you do not eat them all the time, mostly half of the exercise calories -- did I misread? Curious as you have been very successful and I thought that's what you mentioned and had me thinking I should cut down a bit more earlier this week.

And - yes, I am too lazy to try and find the post to demuddle my head.. :embarassed:
  • jakspak
    jakspak Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    i agree with you and it makes so much sense i dont understand why they dont get it.

this site is so great it makes me want to find more ways to excercise like weekends when the gym isnt open i have to find ways to do things to get me mroe food to eat other wise my deficit is too low with what im able to eat before my opp (when ever that will be) anyway i so far go walking to the different parks around my place with the kids on teh weekends hubby works and when he has weekend off i will start talking oldest son for a bike ride around the walkways we have here. although next weekend ill have to find new stuff again as we are off on a 6 week holiday so i have gym days planed out when we are near one and the others mmm ill have to work out once there lol realy could do with a heart rate monitor then i could work out all the calories ill burn off walking around all the shops and theme parks
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    Thank you! This topic needs to be addressed pretty regularly it seems. I know a lot of new people join and get to eating too few calories and don't understand how it works.

I am down 110 lbs (Had a maintain this week due to my "Monthly")....soo obviously it works! :laugh: :wink:

Eat people!! Food is your friend. Fat is your friend too if you eat the right kinds!!

Thanks for the break down you use...what's your height Tam?:flowerforyou:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    i agree with you and it makes so much sense i dont understand why they dont get it.

I think some folks folks 'don't get it' simply because they've not yet been taught.....this thread as Tam shared needs to be brought up more... :smile:

a bump to the top of topics always help folks to see what they may have missed.:drinker:

I doubt anyone is doing this in anything but ignorance of knowlege...there of course will be ppl that are very restrictive and still in a diet mentality because that's what society throws at women..especially...but men too of course, hopefully being on this site they will realize the importance of breaking free from that.

. When threads like this are started folks are able to chose to make healthier decisions by gaining the knowledge that is shared here.

Thank you for that...:drinker:

I think patience and repeated posts like this will get the word out more...

Thanks for creating this thread....I'm sure many will have opened eyes...and others may rant...'they don't they"...yadda yadda yadda...lol But we only know what we know until we are taught differently......

I am new to this site...2 weeks now...I really never understood the calorie in calorie out...excercise thing until it was broken down more and explained...this thread helped me understand the importance of it even more.

I too am someone that is having a tough time getting all my calories in each day (yes, it's true I'm one of 'those people' mentioned up above...

. Junk food adds up quickly regarding calories....but I eat very healthy now and get in plenty of water...and I don't find it adds the calories near as far of course..I eat 5-6 meals a day and in time I'm sure I will be able to learn how to increae them.

For now though...I do the very best I know how...have yet to add my excercise into the section....perhaps because I'm afraid of how I'm going to be able to eat yet more calories than I am now and I can't imagine how I am going to do that..

Nope not trying to starve myself..I eat very healthy and workout 5-6 days a week for 2-3 hours each time. It varies but includes Yoga, water aerobics, weight training (2-3 weekly), pilates and what ever else looks appealing and comes up as a new class at my fitness center.

Just some thoughts from someone that is still learning...please be patient & tolerant with us, as patience goes along ways ...more so than getting upset with us or being astounded with us....many of us are relearning how to eat again in the proper way.

...the whole theory of eating when not hungry is difficult when you try all your life to follow what society teaches on 'only eat when you are hungy'....OMG....I am NEVER hungry....I've very satisfied with what I eat...but will work on creating higher calorie choices for snacks...and see how that works.

Thanks for starting the orignal post in the thread:flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I have been in a plateau for weeks.:grumble: I am doing everything right.

I was thinking maybe I am eating too much. i have been eating all of my exercise cals, I get 300 a day. I have a polar f6 and I keep it on during cardio, stretch and weights. So my daily food is around 1500.

I just cant think of anything else to do but reduce my intake. I kicked up my ex routine to 6 days 50-60 minutes depending on strength training. I had 1 splurge day. I vary my routine both eating and exercise.

I am 152lbs and 5' 2 inches tall. I had never heard of eating your ex cals before this site and it seems to have worked well,case in point Tamtastic.

I DO feel stronger and fitter. I am not a sleepy baby at 7 pm any more.

But I REALLY want to lose the freaking weight. 'sigh' :sad:
  • TamTastic
    Options

Thanks for the break down you use...what's your height Tam?:flowerforyou:
    I'm 5'5" :)
  • TamTastic
    Options
    I think the main trouble for not eating is this (cause I catch myself rethinking what I should do) --
    1. Plateaus happen - either scale or measurements
    2. Weight jumps up and down (for whatever reason)
    All while following the eat exercise calorie suggestions

I know those are my times where I think - what if I don't eat them all....

Tam - question for you -- I noticed one thread where you said you do not eat them all the time, mostly half of the exercise calories -- did I misread? Curious as you have been very successful and I thought that's what you mentioned and had me thinking I should cut down a bit more earlier this week.

And - yes, I am too lazy to try and find the post to demuddle my head.. :embarassed:
    That's right....I don't eat all of them. I do A LOT of cardio and burn a lot of calories....I do try to get at least half of them back. Part of the reason I don't eat more is because I get so full! LOL! The other reason is I don't use a heart rate monitor so I never eat all of them in case the calorie count I have at the end of my workout is off.

As far as my workout goes and the calorie count, when a machine like the elliptical asks for my weight, I enter in a weight 5 lbs less than I am....and then from the combined total of all the exercise I do, I deduct about 10%-15% from it. But then I never eat ALL of them because my count even after all that is like 1100 calories burned. I actually probably should eat a few more...but I think I am doing ok because every OTHER day, I eat 1400 and then on those workout days, I eat about 1900.
  • arjames82
    Options
    Please realize that when MyFitnessPal is setting up your calories that it creates a base intake... that intake is based on how many calories you burn at rest (meaning, if you laid in bed all day and didn't do a darn thing) and THEN it takes the deficit to tell you what you'd need to consume to lose a pound (or two) per week... if you just laid in bed all day.

So, if I laid in bed all day then I'd only need about 1270 calories to create a deficit... but guess what? I don't lay in bed all day... and I'm sure you don't either.

I'm so glad you started this thread. I thought that maybe I was the only one who felt like the # of calories recommend by the site was a little off. I work out with a personal trainer three times a week, and he has me eating 2300 calories per day (just got bumped up from 1747:bigsmile: )

My gym has a Polar Body Age machine that does a 4 part body assessment (cardiovascular fitness level, bicep strength, flexibility, body composition) and reccomends the # of calories you should consume each day. The # of calories is based upon your lean mass to fat mass ratio...the higher your lean mass, the more calories you can eat because your body will burn more calories at rest. Currently, I weight197 lbs and my body composition is 71.8% lean to 28.2% fat. My basal metabolic rate is 2099 and it is recommended that I eat 2313 calories each day (an extra 630 calories is added to my BMR because that's how many calories my body should burn by processing food and through normal daily activities). I know that sounds like a lot of calories, but when I eat less, I stop losing weight.

My gym (Gold's) makes the Body Age machine accessible to all of it's members. If anyone else has access to this service, I strongly recommend getting a body profile done so you will know what YOUR body needs!
  • ericarey85
    ericarey85 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    i often have to force myself to eat to get in all my calories. :grumble: like today i walked around stores for 3 hrs w/ my mom, hey its considered exercise, :bigsmile: and then super clean my house leaving me with an extra whopping 900 calories today :noway: so now i am trying to drink them down (since i am not hungry) by drinking juices.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    :flowerforyou: bump
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    :flowerforyou: bump important thread for all :drinker:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    :tongue:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    :drinker:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    :drinker: well worth a bumpity bump 100 more times!! Though no worries..:laugh: I'll do them one at a time!:tongue:
  • singcoz528
    Options
    Thank you so much for your viewpoint on this!

I'm new to the whole dieting and nutrition thing and I didn't know whether I should eat those extra calories.

Thank you for your advice and helping everyone be a little bit healthier!:flowerforyou: