sweet potato

Options
what do i do with them? i have a bag of them, inspire me :-)

Replies

• _Lisa_
    _Lisa_ Posts: 61
    Options
    cut them into cubes.... sprinkle them with nutmeg for a sweeter taste. For more spicy use paprika and some seasoning salt. They basically take the same amount of time to bake as regular potatoes

This is also a good recipe:

3 medium sweet potatoes
    3 cups Kellogg's® Rice Krispies® cereal
    1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
    1/4 teaspoon onion salt
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    2 egg whites
    2 tablespoons water
    Why use Kellogg's® Rice Krispies®?

1. Wash potatoes and cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch slices. Cut slices into 1/2-inch strips. Set aside.

2. In shallow pan or plate, combine KELLOGG'S RICE KRISPIES cereal and spices. Set aside. Place flour in second shallow pan or plate. Set aside. Beat together egg whites and water. Set aside. Coat potatoes with flour, shaking off excess. Dip coated potatoes in egg mixture, then coat with cereal mixture. Place in single layer on foil-lined baking sheet coated with cooking spray.

3. Bake at 400° F about 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve hot with salsa, if desired.
  • ngr1973
    ngr1973 Posts: 334
    Options
    We love them... our favorite way to eat them is to roast them (on a nonstick sheet pan sprayed with a little pam) then toss with your favorite herb blend OR delicious with a chili spice blend (I love it with Chili Lime Rub from Williams-Sonoma).

Our have them mashed with a sprinkle of brown sugar if you want something sweet.
  • bahrainbel
    Options
    thats sounds nice. i was going to make roasted veg cous cous later, will they be alright in that?
  • erikaj819
    Options
    mmmmm sweet potato fries!!!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Oxygen Magazine has a Fat Loss Special issue on the stands right now. There were about 6 or 7 different sweet potato recipes where you just bake a sweet potato (or microwave) and add toppings. The ones I tried were to add cottage cheese and salsa. The other was a mixture of black beans, corn, low fat cheese, and low fat sour cream. YUM!
  • SeaShell33
    Options
    I love to bake them, then puree them with some Greek yogurt...yummy!
  • seemichellerun
    Options
    SWEET POTATO FRIES!!!

Slice up the sweet potatoes like you would regular french fries, toss them is some extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle a little bit of salt, pepper, and cumin. Spread out on a baking sheet and bake at 400 for about 30 min or until crispy. Really yummy replacement for regular french fries.
  • funnygirl0940
    Options
    if they're really sweet ones I wrap them in tin foil & bake them till they're squishy soft & eat plain. I just love them with nothing on them. They are delish! But, watch your vit A level with them. I was eating them everyday along with carrots & all the other veggies I love. My Vit A was out of the roof & after long term causes your hair to fall out & fatigue. That's only if you eat too much over a long period of time. Enjoy! I love them!
  • jurgelles
    Options
    Slice them lengthwise kind of like fries, spray with pam, bake at 400 with some fresh rosemary and sea salt. They are amazing like that.
  • Heidi_015
    Options
    I just made sweet potato crackers- pretty good and a low calorie snack. It took forever to roll out all the dough tho! Before I baked them, I sprinkled some sea salt on them.

http://www.merrimentdesign.com/sweet-potato-crackers-recipe-easy-healthy-recipe-for-kids.php
  • cmmull67
    cmmull67 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    But, watch your vit A level with them. I was eating them everyday along with carrots & all the other veggies I love. My Vit A was out of the roof & after long term causes your hair to fall out & fatigue. That's only if you eat too much over a long period of time. Enjoy! I love them!

Actually, most natural sources of Vitamin A from veggies is in the form of betacarotene, which is not toxic. Vitamin A toxicity comes from processed sources (i.e. supplements), or animal liver. Stick to veggies for your Vitamin A and you will be ok.

http://www.vitamins-supplements.org/vitamin-A.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypervitaminosis_A
  • petey49
    petey49 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Stab all over with a fork, microwave for about 3 minutes, cut in half. I like them plain with nothing on them, but you could add a bit of butter, magarine, honey.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Stab all over with a fork, microwave for about 3 minutes, cut in half. I like them plain with nothing on them, but you could add a bit of butter, magarine, honey.

I'm all plain too!