Do you drink tap water?

Options
Not trying to sound pretentious. I haven't gone shopping today so there's no bottled water and I'm faced with my husbands mountain dew or tap water (that has been under investigation 4 of the last 10 years for the stuff the county puts in it or doesn't properly remove but still not deadly, just.... Gross)

What would you do? I'm thirsty and haven't had any liquids today.

Replies

• Ilovepeppers
    Ilovepeppers Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I should add its a big deal for me because the MD is 240 calories and I've been soda free for almost 2 months.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    boil the water and then drain it into a pitcher.

i drink tap water
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Tap Water is better than leaded Mt Dew. You'll be fine.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    add ice and dont think about it. Then go buy yourself a brita. Never run out of water, no bottles :)
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Boil the tap water, yes!! That will help clear your conscious and also help clear some bad things from the water, not all, but enough :)
  • InstantSunshine
    InstantSunshine Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I drink tap water all the time - but I think ours is different. I thought it had to be safe to drink by law or something?
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I don't drink ours because it's nasty but in a pinch you could boil it like everyone else said. Next store trip buy a pitcher to filter it so you never have to buy bottles again!
  • kendf60
    kendf60 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I live in Orange County, CA and drink tap water all the time. The quality and taste varies alot from place to place though. Some areas vary alot by season too. It probably won't harm you at all, especially if you're only drinking it occasionally.
  • UnpredictablyPretty21
    Options
    Definitly boil it if you dont have a filter.... If i were you I would be going out to buy a filter... otherwise I would be going out and looking for bottled water :P
    Well done for being soda free for 2 months, thats awesome :)
  • Cmydob
    Cmydob Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just drink the tap water.
  • susioryan
    Options
    Do you realize that a majority of bottle water is actually tap water that someone is making money off of unsuspecting consumers? I drink tap water, boil it or get a Brita if it makes you feel better.
  • Rurouni_Kou
    Rurouni_Kou Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I drink tap water. We have old pipes though so I added a filter to our sink so the tap water doesn't turn tea colored.

I -despise- bottled water. Such a waste of money and resources. 1) You end up wasting tons of plastic (even if you recycle it it takes lots of oil to produce it and can only be recycled once or twice before its trash) 2) Nearly all the waters come from the city municipal system anyway- Ozarka says what spring they got it from, but everything else will say "City XX municipal system:" So essentially you paying 200 times as much to have someone filter the water for you that you already pay for through the city.

Get a filter for your tap- cheaper and creates less waste and you don't have the problem of running out of water.

(Now if only I could figure out how to hack my filter replacements and change out the filter media myself so I don't have to throw them away...)
  • KrisPage
    KrisPage Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Research the bottle water most are only tap water, the hide it in the labeling but read carefully and in between the lines.
  • Kiwijay
    Kiwijay Posts: 216
    Options
    Tap water all the way...luckily though here in NZ our water is pretty darn good!!
  • JulieTX86
    Options
    I am feeling like the odd one out... I pretty much only drink tap water.

:blushing:
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    add ice and dont think about it. Then go buy yourself a brita. Never run out of water, no bottles :)
    Agree. We have city water and yes, I admit that I stress about drinking it, but I just filter it and try not to worry. But we really can't afford to buy bottled water all the time; and beyond that, I would stress about drinking something that has been bottled in plastic (BPA).
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    If you live in a first world country, your tap water is perfectly safe to drink (unless there are advisories out for whatever reason). Bottled water is just a marketing ploy and a source of enormous environmental waste (not to mention financial waste). I only drink tap water.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I agree, buy filters! If you still feel the need to boil it, I would filter first and then boil.

But for today, yes, I would just put a bunch of ice in it and drink the water. Don't do the Dew!
  • lucasdany
    lucasdany Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I drink tap water, bottled water has been shown to have more live unhealthy bacteria then tap. I filter mine with a brita and will never use bottled water again. Waste of money and plastic.
  • Actuality
    Options
    Filling up my glass with ATL's finest tap water as I read this thread. Ain't no harm !!!