Do you drink tap water?

Options
13»

Replies

• BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Boil the tap water and invest in a filter for your faucet or a filter pitcher. I do not drink tap water. It has to be filtered.
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I mostly drink tap water. I do buy a liter bottle of water once or twice a week when I'm at work, and I end up saving the bottles and refilling them at home with tap water. I will cycle them through the freezer to get them slightly frozen so they stay chilled with chunks of ice inside. I'll drink those at work, and just fill my glass from the tap at home (our water tastes fine).
  • WindmillSong
    WindmillSong Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I much prefer the taste of our tap water, over many of the bottled waters, lol! I get ours out of our fridge, which has a filter that does not get changed as often as it should...still tastes good though. Taste wise, I'm a recovering Mt. Dew addict, but if you have been off of them for that long, why chance it? :)
  • HeatherShrinking
    HeatherShrinking Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I love my tap water! It tastes so much better than bottled water. I guess I'm just lucky, I think Minneapolis is supposed to have really good tap water. When I lived in the suburbs the water tasted okay and I can't stand the taste of well water.

I agree with what everyone else said, as long as your city hasn't put out a warning against drinking the water you should be just fine. Invest in a water filter pitcher if it makes you more comfortable... personally those scare me. I've seen the filters grow mold! (To be fair, the pitcher was my friend's and she may not have been changing them as often as she should)
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    http://www.ewg.org/chromium6-in-tap-water

The funny thing is that in a video report I saw on this, the guy basically said there's really no reason to switch to bottled water since most bottled water sources are just 'tap water' that is filtered, but current filters don't do enough and aren't strong enough to remove this.

I'm in one of the most affected cities, and I'm still drinking the tap water. No point in buying bottled when they can't even say that bottled is safer.
  • bfrice1
    Options
    Buy a brita filter and drink tap water. At the very least, you don't use up so many bottles.
  • amityc1981
    amityc1981 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If I had to choose between the soda and tap water here, I'd sadly have to pick the soda. Our water tastes so horrible, it literally makes me gag. It's awful stuff! We have a water cooler and fill 5gal jugs with water from a local water store where they use reverse osmosis filtering as well as the basics like carbon filters and such. At 25 cents/gal, it's pretty cheap, I'll actually drink it because it tastes good, and it's easier for us than constantly refilling a smaller pitcher, so it's worth it.
  • sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    Options
    Tap water all the way...luckily though here in NZ our water is pretty darn good!!

x2
    We have a benchtop filter, too at home. But I drink straight tap water at work.
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Definitely invest in a filter. Makes water so much clearer & nicer to drink

Sue :smile: x
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    drink the tap water. As long as there's no immediate health scares it's fine.

If you don't like the taste add some lemon. If there's a chlorine taste, let it sit for a while, the taste will soon go.

I love tap water. I also love drinking from streams in woods when people tell me I shouldn't.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    Tap water is fine, I always drink it, its some of the best in the world according to stuff I read. Bottled water is a massive con and it's ludicrous to me that people but it, and yet my wonderful Canadian (and new to this country) buys bottled water! I just tell him to refil his bottle from the tap, but he has been used to buying it. Bizarre!!
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Get a Britta
  • kbray003
    Options
    Buying bottled water all the time is expensive (when you consider its just water) and environmentally irreponsible. Putting a filter like Brita on your faucet is cheaper in the long run and doent fill up our landfills with plastic. Your tap water is a better choice once you install the filter. Also, I think drinking your "bad" tap water as opposed to MD is still better for a short period of time until you can get some clean water.
  • thunt1990
    thunt1990 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I only drink sink water. I hate the taste of bottled water. IT always tastes so flat. We have pretty good water here in AZ. Dont drink the soda pop!
  • jmcniel
    Options
    Tap water for me. The only bottled water I will drink if I am out and a bout is Fiji.

For the ones that are stuck on well water, you may try looking into Music Mountain Water. It is honestly the best water from a spring that I have tasted. My dad started using it when the county made changes to the filtration of the water. When he moved into his house about 16 years ago, it was honestly the best tap water, but 3 years later you could tell the change in taste. Since then he switched to Music Mountain and gets 3 5 gallon jugs every 3 weeks. They set you up on a delivery schedule and when it is time for delivery/pickup just put out your empty jug(s), they pick it up and leave how ever many you left out.
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I do drink tap, but I live in a suburb of Salt Lake City and the city is very good about making sure the water reports get mailed out every 6 months. The biggest concern is over-mineralization from the mountain runoff, but the water is properly filtered and treated and the water report leaves me feeling okay about the levels. I also like the fluoride for my teeth, although there is controversy over it being a bodily contaminent. Eh, I'll take it, lol.
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Bottled water is OK but have you noticed how long the date is on it? I don't fancy drinking water *that* old.....:drinker:

Sue :smile: x