BMI

Options
Is it just me or does anyone else find these BMI charts off just a bit? I am a solid girl, always have been. I'm not flabby or soft. My BMI always put me at a high number and even when I lose the 14 pounds I feel the need to lose, I still will be just into the healthy number set by the BMI calculators. And speaking of the 14 pounds, this weight loss will still put me on the high side of where all weight charts say I need to be. I am 53, have no health issues, and I am very active. I have been a dancer since I was 3 and I believe that accounts for my body makeup. I wish these charts understood that we are all different and not cookie cutter. Any thoughts on this?

Replies

• dunztar
    Options
    There are many ways to get your body fat. I bought a scale at Walmart that does it two ways... One of them is with the electric signal and the other way is just calculating weight with age and height.... Those calculators as you guessed are not very accurate... On my scale with the electric signal it says I am 24% BMI but on a regular internet calculator it says I am 27%.... one thing I don't think normal calculators measure is the water in your body... therefore you get more BMI % on those.
  • Bigsportygirl
    Bigsportygirl Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi there, the BMI charts really don't work if you have muscles - I know many Olympic rowers show up as overweight and professional rugby players as obese! If I were you I'd just use them as a scale and a way to track your progress. Having a lower BMI is better (to a point obviously), but the bands aren't that accurate or important, you are the best judge of what a healthy weight is for your body type.
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    BMI's are only accurate if you're of average frame and musculature. If you have a bit more muscle than average, your BMI doesn't take that into account. For instance, a 230 lb bodybuilder would have the same BMI as a 230 lb obese person, even though the bodybuilder is obviously in much better shape. I know for myself, my BMI puts me well into the obese category, although my body fat percentage would rate me as merely overweight. I would ignore the BMI.
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the info!!!